Patrick Stewart to reprise role as Star Trek's Jean-Luc Picard

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just finished the new episode. I liked the look and feel of the planetary scenes and it benefited from less of the girl (though that hallway sliding scene was one of the dumbest things so far), but I was a little more bored than usual. It felt like the filler episode that I was afraid that it'd be.

I'm not a fan of how the series is repeatedly portraying Picard as naive and out of touch. He's going around to all of these people, optimistic that they'll help him, and they all tell him to get lost. Too much of the drama derives from our expectations being subverted. We're probably meant to assume that the character introduced at the very end of this episode will be happily joining them now, but she'll probably want nothing to do with Picard early in the next episode, only to join them by the end, anyways.

I also don't like how the doctor is basically the comic relief, like Tilly in Discovery, and how this new guy is a super ninja (because Abrams Trek needs over the top action, I guess). Finally, does every single episode have to end with fan service of some kind?

New episode dropped today. Picard's still recruiting the Justice League it appears. Another F Bomb and a decapitation for good measure! Not sure what to make of this show.

I got a Seven Samurai vibe, especially since the recruit ends up being a ninja. Coincidentally, Episode 4 of The Mandalorian was Seven Samurai-inspired, as well.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It’s definitely not moving too fast, lol. Starting to get a little worried they’re not moving fast enough for only having 10 episodes.

Reactions: Jussi

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
First 10 minutes of it was really good, that being the stuff with Picard on the planet with the refugees. The quality dropped off a cliff after that.

We don't need F bombs in ST and we sure the hell don't need ninja decaps.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Jesus christ, why do we have Romulan Space Legolas?

Is season 2 of this show going to be Picard having to throw the One Ring into the fires of Mt. Doom?

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Okay, I'm Jean-Luc Picard and I'm being chased by assassins armed with disruptors and I need some help.

Hmmm....I could ask or bribe some Klingons or Nausicaans….

Nah, I'll just get a Romulan Ninja Boy armed with a sword who was trained by a group of Female Space Ninja Nuns!

And not just any Female Space Ninja Nuns, but, Female Space Ninja Nuns who I have never heard of before who are enemies of the Tal Shiar.

This is the finest writing in Science Fiction history! :sarcasm::laugh::popcorn:

Obviously, none of the writers have watched Raiders of the Lost Ark!

200.gif

Reactions: Osprey

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The Elnor character is fine although his "origin" of the Romulan nuns are basically the Bene Gesserits from Dune teaching Paul Atreides.

Picard asking him not to kill reminded me of the scene in Terminator 2 with John and the T-800.

Having Seven of Nine is cool but the fact Jeri Ryan was listed in the opening credits killed the surprise factor. Everyone and their mother knew it would be her. Why call her Seven still? Anika Hansen would have been a better choice in my opinion showing more evolution or at least they try and call her Seven and she corrects them and goes by Anika now.

I liked the stuff on the planet Vashti but Picard starting a civil rights movement was a little too self righteous.

The Narek and Soji sliding scene was meme worthy. It was right out of Tom Cruise in Risky Business. It's going to be memed for years and years to come and rightfully so.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
I guess ep. 04 advanced the plotline. Welcome to Seven of Nine and new immature Ninja Guy from the Romulan Nun Academy...

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Okay, I'm Jean-Luc Picard and I'm being chased by assassins armed with disruptors and I need some help.

Hmmm....I could ask or bribe some Klingons or Nausicaans….

Nah, I'll just get a Romulan Ninja Boy armed with a sword who was trained by a group of Female Space Ninja Nuns!

And not just any Female Space Ninja Nuns, but, Female Space Ninja Nuns who I have never heard of before who are enemies of the Tal Shiar.

This is the finest writing in Science Fiction history! :sarcasm::laugh::popcorn:

Obviously, none of the writers have watched Raiders of the Lost Ark!

200.gif

Well, they only skipped the huge fight scene in Raiders because Ford had the shits or should I say a stomach bug. :laugh:

Reactions: Guardian17

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
They're trying to appeal to a broad fanbase, which is OK. Makes for an interesting show, unlike Discovery.

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
I also don't like how the doctor is basically the comic relief, like Tilly in Discovery
I also got a strong Tilly vibe in this one. I preferred the doctor in her first episode, where she was portrayed as a serious character. She's admittedly out of her element here, flying around the quadrant instead of being in a lab, but she turned ditsy awfully fast. Tilly-style comedy either works for you or it doesn't. It doesn't resonate with me.

This episode was a bit of a fakeout for me. I was expecting to see Maddox. Instead, the crew makes an unscheduled pit stop. It was an okay episode, but I agree that it felt like filler.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
So basically Picard is going on an apology tour for disappearing years ago with the end goal of becoming captain again when it's all said and done?

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I was bored to tears by that episode, and the concept of a Space Ninja was to me just silly. What's worse for me is Patrick Stewart just looked like he was mailing in that episode. Even the Space Battle had no tension. They build up this Bird of Pray, and its disposed of after a few quips between the captain and the hologram. The only thing that was interesting or weird was the chocking game between brother and sister in the bedroom. Yeah I'm exaggerating, but that was just flat out weird.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Yah, Space Ninja's is dumb and terrible writing. Even the Klingon's, who see hand to hand combat as the ultimate trial, use disruptors and ranged weapons when needed.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I wonder if Sisko framing the Dominion for the death of a Romulan senator ever comes to light in this series.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
So basically Picard is going on an apology tour for disappearing years ago with the end goal of becoming captain again when it's all said and done?

Not just apologizing.

Remember when he was asking the Romulan Ninja Boy is there was any sort of ceremony when Picard was asking for his help.

Picard said, "should I get on my knees" which was way over the top.

It's like the writers are going out of their way to humiliate the character.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
I wonder if Sisko framing the Dominion for the death of a Romulan senator ever comes to light in this series.

Isn't Garak the only one who knows at this point? Doubt he would start talking all of a sudden.

(Also, I haven't watched Picard yet, has the Dominion war even been mentioned at all? I doubt DS9 is ever considered for storylines...)

Edit: Except for Section 31 of course...

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Isn't Garak the only one who knows at this point? Doubt he would start talking all of a sudden.

(Also, I haven't watched Picard yet, has the Dominion war even been mentioned at all? I doubt DS9 is ever considered for storylines...)

Edit: Except for Section 31 of course...

There are only three mentions of a DS9 plot, event, person or organization or ship (Outside of Section 31) that have been made in other ST series/movies. First Contact when the Defiant was seen at the second battle of Earth. A single throw away line that last 0.3 seconds about the Dominion in Insurrection. And Torres talking about hearing news of the Maquis being wiped out back home, and I think the Jem'Hadar were shown in a holosuite.

The heads of ST have wasted 7 seasons of spectacular storytelling by not using anything of note from Ds9. It's such a shame.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Hate them adding 7 of 9. Was so disappointed when she beamed aboard. The show was doing such a good job of moving in a different direction and introducing new characters and then it goes and does that. I did like the vintage TOS Romulan Warbird. That was cool to see. Not sold on Romulan Space Ninja guy either.

Reactions: tr83

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Hopefully, if they are assembling some kind of crew, they can keep it together long enough to build some chemistry.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Blame Riker for that episode, he directed it. (Frakes)

7 of 9 to the rescue, that was cool.
I can't blame Riker. He is working with the script he was handed. I doubt he could do any re-writes. And, if he did and this was the best he could do with what he was working with how God awful was the first draft??

Reactions: Osprey

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The problem with introducing characters nowadays is that they always try to do it in a way that is supposed to make you think, "Wow, that girl/guy is so cool!" and have the other characters comment on how cool they are, and I have an instant visceral dislike of them because of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->