Patrick Roy's greatest games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ8812*

his last game for the habs, the 11-1 loss, or w/e the score was

KOVALEV10*

His game against the Rangers I think it was game or something in 1986 in the playoffs he was a rookie and in overtime he shined. Stoping shots from all kinds of angles, even stopping a deflection that had gone by him in mid air! :shakehead Roy was the man!

Reilly311

Game 7 was a beaut. I remember Red Wings fans chanting "We want Roy" after he was pulled. Great stuff.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
X8oD said:
or his last 2 games against Detroit, Statue of Liberty and The Game 7 Blow-out.

What do you make of his record-setting number of conn smyths? Or him owning the Redwings for most of his career with the Avs following that 11-1 bombardement (which by the way, all avs fans do thank the wings for since it got us two cups we otherwise wouldn't have enjoyed :) )? he he he

Roy's greatest games, for the most part, took place during that improbable '93 cup victory. His wink to Sandstrom was a classic moment. :lol

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
jericholic19 said:
What do you make of his record-setting number of conn smyths? Or him owning the Redwings for most of his career with the Avs following that 11-1 bombardement (which by the way, all avs fans do thank the wings for since it got us two cups we otherwise wouldn't have enjoyed :) )? he he he

during that space

Avs cups = 2
Wings Cups = 3

I think the avs beat the wings 3 times during that span in the play-offs, and Detroit Beat Colorado 3 times.... Each were downed in the first round once. Detroit has the over all better Play-off percentage.

So, i look at the head to head and over-all between the two teams a draw... Then we are forced to look for other "crowning achievements" And None "ring" louder than Patricks Final 2 Games in a Colorado Jersey.

Hell Detroit has sent him packing from 2 different teams with one helluva send off.

But that statue of Liberty play cost the Avs. His ego got the best of him. Great goalie with one HELLUVA Ego, and it cost his team a Cup. [because they win that game, they easily win the cup like Detroit did]

DRL

Mar 2, 2003
Brampton, Ontario
for me my fav roy games were: game 4 vs florida for the cup

the game where roy robbed detriot with the 3 saves in a row :handclap:

game 6 2001 vs NJ

even though he lost, game 6 97 versus detriot was one of Roy's finest efforts

DRL

Mar 2, 2003
Brampton, Ontario
X8oD said:
or his last 2 games against Detroit, Statue of Liberty and The Game 7 Blow-out.

i think Roy won his last 2 games vs detriot in 2002-03, i remember the 3 save sequence in his last year and a shutout his first game back in Detriot after the 02 gm 7 debacle.

acr*

It wasn't a game, but we all can agree that the greatest moment in the storied career of Patrick Roy was...

"I can't hear anything Jeremy is saying, cause I got my two...Stanley Cup Ring...in my Ear!"
:D

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
X8oD said:
I think the avs beat the wings 3 times during that span in the play-offs, and Detroit Beat Colorado 3 times.... Each were downed in the first round once. Detroit has the over all better Play-off percentage.

Hell Detroit has sent him packing from 2 different teams with one helluva send off.

But that statue of Liberty play cost the Avs. His ego got the best of him. Great goalie with one HELLUVA Ego, and it cost his team a Cup. [because they win that game, they easily win the cup like Detroit did]

Well you think wrong. Actually the wings only won two series. One in '97 and the other in '02. So the head to head matchup is 3-2 in favour of the avs ('96, '99, '00). Roy's playoff record against the wings amounts to 17-13. I would consider that to be significant. He no doubt cost the wings a couple more cups they could have had (in '96 where the avs pulled off an amazing upset, and in 00' where colorado prevented the wings from becoming a dynasty). That's great stuff. :handclap: I sincerely thank the wings for their 11-1 shallacking of Montreal.

I also don't think Roy's liberty pose cost the avs the cup at all. It was a turning point but the avs lost because Colorado was fatigued (played more playoff games), was injured (Hejduk and Forsberg), and had lost a great defenseman to retirement (Bourque). The odds were against the avs and i doubt they would have even defeated Carolina if they somehow managed to beat Detroit.

As well, Roy can afford to be egotistical since he's the greatest "money goalie" of all time. Three smyths exemplifies that thank you very much! Hate him as much as you want, he left the game feeling pretty good about himself (for good reasons too).

Last edited:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
X8oD said:
during that space

Avs cups = 2
Wings Cups = 3

Colorado won 3 Detroit 2 head to head.

Let us not forget Detroit's choke in 99.

Reilly311

the 2002 game 7 makes up for anything Roy "cost" the Wings.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
Reilly311 said:
the 2002 game 7 makes up for anything Roy "cost" the Wings.

sure it does. one game makes up for a couple more cups that could have been had. :D the wings easily would have been a dynasty had it not been for roy. i understand why wings fans hate him. how can you not?

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Taupy said:
What was that Statue of Liberty thing?

Game 6 2002 Western Conference finals vs. Detroit. Roy thinks he has the puck in his glove and does his little show off move. Little does he know the puck is in the ice and Shanahan (I think) puts it in.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
KOVALEV10 said:
His game against the Rangers I think it was game or something in 1986 in the playoffs he was a rookie and in overtime he shined. Stoping shots from all kinds of angles, even stopping a deflection that had gone by him in mid air! :shakehead Roy was the man!

Yeah that game he was unbelievable! Definitely remarkable in the clutch. And if you look at the equipment of a goalie back then you'll see how small Roy was. It was all skill that he stopped those shots. Back then, unlike today, when you got a shutout you EARNED it!

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
KOVALEV10 said:

May 5th, 1986 was the exact date. That overtime display by Roy was the greatest exhibition of goaltending I have ever witnessed.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
I'm not sure if it was 1992 or 1994, but I do know that it was the first round of the playoffs against the Boston Bruins. Patrick Roy had to miss a game to have his appendix removed. Everyone expected him to be out for the series, but he came back the next game and made 60 saves as the Habs beat the Bruins in OT. It was a truly heroic performance.

Unfortunately the Habs lost the series.

And the wink to Tomas Sandstrom in game 3 of the 1993 Stanley Cup finals was also classic. What makes it better is that Roy told his teammates "You guys worry about getting a goal, because I'm not letting any more in."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->