Patrick Roy trade to Quebec still happens?

Danny46

Dec 28, 2015
When Patrick Roy was traded to the Colorado Avalanche that was Colorado first year in Denver. If the team had stayed in Quebec do you guys think that Montreal would have traded Roy to the Quebec Nordique, a province rival?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
When Patrick Roy was traded to the Colorado Avalanche that was Colorado first year in Denver. If the team had stayed in Quebec do you guys think that Montreal would have traded Roy to the Quebec Nordique, a province rival?

No, PR risk is too high.

If they would have done it anyway, then they're dumb unless we get a Joe Sakic type player back.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I know that certain people (see above) say there's no way it would have happened, PR-risk, etc. But I'm not so sure. Obviously, in order to make any blockbuster trade with your provincial rival, it would have to have been a really good trade from Montreal's perspective, one that was too good to pass up. Given that it was a favorable trade (it wasn't in reality, as we know), I think by '95 Montreal would made a deal with Quebec.

I mean, it's not like Montreal's PR didn't suffer a massive disaster anyway by trading Roy in his prime and getting a couple of okay players back. In the imaginary scenario, better to send a Hall of Famer to Quebec and get better value in return.

Gretzky was traded to Edmonton's division rival and faced his old team 15 times his first season there (and eliminated them from the playoffs). Guy Lafleur ended up playing for Quebec when he was old -- wasn't exactly good PR for Montreal when they basically forced him to retire prematurely in '84.

I'm not saying it was probable, but I think it would have been possible (if the return value for Montreal were better, that is).

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
The old saying goes "never say never" but sometimes "never" is fitting and Roy traded to QC is one of those times. Rumors point to a trade to Detroit which is ironic.

Makes for fun speculation to project an alternate NHL universe.

Reactions: WingsFan95

Danny46

Dec 28, 2015
If I am not mistakern the Quebec Nordiques was Roy favorite team growing up, so he would love the idea...

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I know that certain people (see above) say there's no way it would have happened, PR-risk, etc. But I'm not so sure. Obviously, in order to make any blockbuster trade with your provincial rival, it would have to have been a really good trade from Montreal's perspective, one that was too good to pass up. Given that it was a favorable trade (it wasn't in reality, as we know), I think by '95 Montreal would made a deal with Quebec.

I mean, it's not like Montreal's PR didn't suffer a massive disaster anyway by trading Roy in his prime and getting a couple of okay players back. In the imaginary scenario, better to send a Hall of Famer to Quebec and get better value in return.

Gretzky was traded to Edmonton's division rival and faced his old team 15 times his first season there (and eliminated them from the playoffs). Guy Lafleur ended up playing for Quebec when he was old -- wasn't exactly good PR for Montreal when they basically forced him to retire prematurely in '84.

I'm not saying it was probable, but I think it would have been possible (if the return value for Montreal were better, that is).

Would Edmonton have traded Gretzky to Calgary?

Reactions: Tarantula and Tweed

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I don't know why this this myth about Roy not being traded to Quebec keeps popping up. According to Pagé Habs included him in a package for Lindros. This at a time when 60ish % of habs fans wanted him traded.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I don't know why this this myth about Roy not being traded to Quebec keeps popping up. According to Pagé Habs included him in a package for Lindros. This at a time when 60ish % of habs fans wanted him traded.

I’ve heard they were pretty close to a deal. I recall Lindros being asked if he’d accept a trade to Montreal and he said yes.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Pocklington was shopping Gretzky to Vancouver so why not?

I know what you're saying (and it's true) but at least in those days Vancouver wasn't in the same stratosphere in terms of rivalries as Edmonton vs Calgary or Montreal vs Quebec.

As others have posted never say never, but the chances would have been miniscule.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
PK Subban is a good comparable for Montreal

Traded away to mostly public outrage from Montreal. In my mind - there's no way in hell Marc Bergevin trades PK Subban to Boston, or Toronto, or even Ottawa.

Nashville is nice and far removed.
I think Colorado was the same for Roy.

I don't think he gets traded to Quebec - nor would he have been traded to any immediate rivals (or close, geographically). Like Boston or Toronto.

Never say never - but the cost would have been much higher and would have to be too good to turn down.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
The old saying goes "never say never" but sometimes "never" is fitting and Roy traded to QC is one of those times. Rumors point to a trade to Detroit which is ironic.

Makes for fun speculation to project an alternate NHL universe.
He was traded for crap so presumably Detroit wouldn't have to give up much.

The Wings probably win 5 Stanley Cups between 1996 and 2003 with Roy in net. He was the biggest thorn Detroit faced in the postseason those years.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
This is 1 of the bigger what if's in the NHL. I think he goes to Detroit instead and has them win a Cup 1 year early.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
How Mike Vernon set the stage for the Roy trade

I don't know. First off, Quebec needed Roy in 94-95 to stay in Quebec so it doesn't matter if he gets traded in the 95 off-season or whatever but he was traded late 95 so yeah....

The Detroit trade I guess would have been for Kozlov-Primeau since the Avs didn't seem to give up much. Otherwise I'd say Coffey.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I know what you're saying (and it's true) but at least in those days Vancouver wasn't in the same stratosphere in terms of rivalries as Edmonton vs Calgary or Montreal vs Quebec.

As others have posted never say never, but the chances would have been miniscule.

Read my other reply in this thread. Roy had already been offered to Quebec once.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I wonder what the Habs offered on top of Roy for Lindros? Would the Avs be able to win the cup without Forsberg? Hmm...

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Can't see it. Habs wouldn't trade Roy to anybody in east.

Danny46

Dec 28, 2015
Let's imagine that it was a done deal that the 1995-96 season would have been the last of the team in Quebec before they move to Denver (Colorado) in 1996-97, to the ones who said "no" to the original question, do you guys think that Montreal makes the trade?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad