Patrick O'Sullivan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
i respect your point of view but i think the organization did the wrong thing for their organization by trading him. i'm not sure demitra is a player who can excel in lemaire's system and o'sullivan is as good as demitra on the powerplay. o'sullivan could fill demitra's role in '06-'07, at a much cheaper price, so i just don't see the benefits for the wild. just a difference of opinion.

also, if gaborik is that difficult to keep in a great market like minneapolis, then he's not a player i'd build the team around by bringing in demitra if that's why they brought him.

andy51

Jun 19, 2006
Toronto
I would consider Patrick O'Sullivan to be the better prospect. I think he can make a nice impact on the NHL with the new rules in place. He's an excellent skater, with great stick handling. I think he can become a team leader, he has some leadership skills amiss the personal problems he had in the past, which is non-existent.

I have my money on him, he oozes offensive skills. Best of all, I think he can play any position, not defense and goaltender obviously. He's very expandable, you can play him on the wings, or at center.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Mackattack said:
Patrick O'Sullivan = American Ilya Kovalchuck.... without a word of a lie.

This guy is SICK. LA got a steal in this trade, beleive me.

Wow... that's quite the statement. I don't know if I'd go that far, but O'Sully is one heck of a prospect. Good pick up for LA.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Til the End of Time said:
That sounds kind of stupid. Shouldn't the Wild be more concerned with icing a good team than helping someone's career?

They are icing a good team. IT just happens to benefit O'Sullivan's career. By the time O'Sullivan begins to produce at a consistant level, we would probably have lost Gaborik, Bouchard, Walz, Rolston, Fernandez, and maybe Burns simply because of cap situations and them testing the free agent market. There is a good possibility that Bouchard might walk soon because of his one year contracts. So right now is it win now or win later when you lose all your fans and are in constant rebuild mode?

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
bouchard isn't going anywhere for the next three seasons. same with burns. and walz, rolston and fernandez are replaceable, they're not superstars.

even if o'sullivan isn't ready now (which i don't believe) he'll be ready before those guys leave.

i don't think it's a good move for the wild to move him. it's a horrible move !

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
rolston looked like a star to me last year, he was our best player, arguably better then gaborik.

Fernandez had a outstanding year, and is stellar.

Agreed on walz, he's replaceable, yet effective.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
That sounds kind of stupid. Shouldn't the Wild be more concerned with icing a good team than helping someone's career?
My thoughts exactly. I've gone through a lot but tthe Wild are no charity institute.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
My thoughts exactly. I've gone through a lot but the Wild are no charity institute.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
My thoughts exactly. I've gone through a lot but the Wild are no charity institute.
DoobieDoobieDo said:
They are icing a good team. IT just happens to benefit O'Sullivan's career. By the time O'Sullivan begins to produce at a consistant level, we would probably have lost Gaborik, Bouchard, Walz, Rolston, Fernandez, and maybe Burns simply because of cap situations and them testing the free agent market. There is a good possibility that Bouchard might walk soon because of his one year contracts. So right now is it win now or win later when you lose all your fans and are in constant rebuild mode?
If he's that good what i read over here than I may hope he's starting to produce before Gaborik, Fernandez, Bouchard, Rolston & Co are gone.

hattrick74

Jan 3, 2004
Visit site
does O'sullivan's size scare away anyone from him? 5'11 is kinda short for a center, but i havent seem him play much so i am defintely posting blindly

Techbert

Jun 9, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
hattrick74 said:
does O'sullivan's size scare away anyone from him? 5'11 is kinda short for a center, but i havent seem him play much so i am defintely posting blindly

His size is fine, old or new NHL.

My only question on PaddyO is whether or not he can keep his temper during big games.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Techbert said:
My only question on PaddyO is whether or not he can keep his temper during big games.
Personally, I'd prefer that a player show too much emotion during big games rather than too little. I consider it an asset at that age and will evolve into positive emotion as he gains maturity.

RightKinger

Apr 25, 2006
Los Angeles
hattrick74 said:
At 5'11 wouldnt he be better as a winger than a center?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
LeftKinger said:
At 5'11 wouldnt he be better as a winger than a center?

Sakic, Crosby, Savard, Datsyuk, Briere, Drury, Gomez, McDonald, Morrison, Comrie seem to be doing fine as centers, and they're all 5'11 or shorter.

I'm surprised people think 5'11 is still too small, especially with the new rules benefitting those who can skate.

RightKinger

Apr 25, 2006
Los Angeles
Ziggy Stardust said:
Sakic, Crosby, Savard, Datsyuk, Briere, Drury, Gomez, McDonald, Morrison, Comrie seem to be doing fine as centers, and they're all 5'11 or shorter.

I'm surprised people think 5'11 is still too small, especially with the new rules benefitting those who can skate.
I know but all those guys are more playmakers than scorers. O'Sullivan is more of a scorer than a playmaker so I think he would be better as a winger. He is a good playmaker but he is a more of a goal scorer like Palffy and Kovalchuk so thats why I think he would be better as a winger not because of his size.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I guess wherever the coaching staff sees fit, that is where he'll be. I noticed on the AHL site they have O'Sullivan listed as a LW, but I'm unsure how often he was used as a LW or C during his time in the AHL.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Ziggy Stardust said:
I guess wherever the coaching staff sees fit, that is where he'll be. I noticed on the AHL site they have O'Sullivan listed as a LW, but I'm unsure how often he was used as a LW or C during his time in the AHL.
I've read that he played LW with the Aeros last year and I got the impression that he played that position all year. Perhaps someone can confirm.

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
hawker14 said:
bouchard isn't going anywhere for the next three seasons. same with burns. and walz, rolston and fernandez are replaceable, they're not superstars.

even if o'sullivan isn't ready now (which i don't believe) he'll be ready before those guys leave.

i don't think it's a good move for the wild to move him. it's a horrible move !

I can see Bouchard leaving. The guy oozes with talent but doesn't get the chance in Minnesota. His one year contracts make me think he'll bolt when he gets his chance. Walz will be a lot older when O'Sullivan makes his impact and probably be out. Burns is a toss up. He'll be retained.

The problem is Pouliot is also coming up. So who do you replace? Gaborik, Bouchard, Rolston? How do you get talent without taking it away from the rookies? As it stood...

Pouliot/O'Sullivan/Voloshenko - Walz - Gaborik
Bouchard - White - Rolston
Veileux - Koivu - Weinhandl
Choiunard - Boogaard

Throw in a free agent or two, Minnesota is looking at a situation where the West gets tougher (Tanguay + Iginla, Luongo to Vancouver, Colorado retaining Sakic, though the 'weakest' of the bunch) and they have a problem penning in O'Sullivan while trying to challenge the West for a bid for the cup. Who knows what O'Sullivan would have done for the team? Score 20 goals? 30 goals? He's a PROSPECT. To put it straight, Minnesota needed to upgrade their offense. The problem was, it cost us O'Sullivan. And personally, right now, a prospect for a proven is a damn good deal. O'Sullivan could reinjure his shoulder again, who knows?

As it stands we have

Demitra - Walz - Gaborik
Bouchard - White - Rolston
Veilleux - Koivu - Weinhandl
- Choiunard - Boogaard

With that, we can add another quality free agent, without having to worry about where do we pen in O'Sullivan. As it stands:

We have:

1/ Demitra
2/ Gaborik
3/ Walz
4/ Choiunard
5/ Veilleux
6/ Koivu
7/ Boogaard
8/ White
9/ /Bouchard
10/ Weinhandl
11/ Rolston
12/
13/

14/ Skoula
15/ Burns
16/ Foster
17/ Nummelin/Ratchuk
18/ Schultz
19/
20/
21/

We got only two spots going for us and Lemaire likes to ice seven defenseman, so we got three spots and usually two of them sit in the press box. Usually the rookies sit in the press box (Boogaard is an exception and Wanvig got on Lemaire's bad side). I can see O'Sullivan's year going the same was as Bouchard's first year. And then you guys would ***** and moan about the development of O'Sullivan and how he isn't making an impact.

This is a prospect for a PROVEN talent. We needed goal scorers badly. We needed to upgrade our team and you know what? We got one. You guys ***** and moan about Minnesota not scoring a lot of goals and playing 'boring' hockey. WE NEVER HAD THE EFFING TALENT! And now we are getting talent.

How the hell is Minnesota suppose to compete given the crop of UFAs this year? Elias is commanding too much money, Parrish isn't exactly a light them up player and he's extremely streaky. Savard is iffy, who else?

We would basically be icing the damn team we had last year. And guess what? The West just got tougher this year. Luongo to Vancouver. Tanguay to Calgary. We're not done yet. Only Edmonton and Colorado look like crap but the West is getting tougher each year. Nashville, Detroit, San Jose, Vancouver, Dallas...I could go on about how the West, especially the Northwest is getting tougher.

You really want to face Théodore, Luongo, Roloson, and Kipper with an unproven rookie 'phenom' and a disgruntled winger that'll sit out because 1) he didn't get the talent needed to take the team a step further 2) wants more money because hs is the number 1 go to guy in Minnesota and we don't want to pay him that kind of money because he's still streaky. We had no players outside Rolston, Bouchard (who isn't a goal scorer!), White, and Gaborik? Yeah that'll scare people.

They had to keep up. LA is rebuilding, Minnesota is transiting. They had a deep enough prospect group to move one of them. Unfortunately LA didn't want Pouliot or Voloshenko, and Minnesota had to take it in the *** to move their team forward.

Last edited:

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
bouchard is going nowhere...he's one of the mainstays for the next 10 years.

Don't look into the 1 year contract too much. It's not like he's a UFA next year. They will gauge his play this year, and pay him accordingly. Maybe both parties wanted it this way, who knows. Anyways, he's going nowhere, they've invested in him since he was 18, and brought him up right away. They like the kid and will keep him. They'll pay him without a doubt. No way you let a young player like this just walk.

His potential and ability are off the charts.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
It's not about the Wild. I'm betting you dollars to dimes, that it's his agent that's getting the 1 year contracts and he'll become an UFA.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
you're overreacting

bouchard will wear the #96 wild jersey atleast 6 more years.

Bank it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad