Patrick O'Sullivan vs. Anze Kopitar

FreshClean

Aug 29, 2006
Tough. While LW are tough to find out there, I'll still take Kopitar. I just love this guy.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Kopitar is a stud, but I feel that O'Sullivan has a little bit of a higher ceiling, especially with his superior footspeed. Can't really go wrong with either guy though.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Personally I don't buy into the O'Sullivan hype as much as people pump him to be, I mean he's a good prospect and all but he's no super stud that's for sure....

I'll take Anze for the better potential.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Who will be the better player?

Who would you take on your team and why?

HF Grades:
Kopitar - 8.0 A
O'Sullivan - 8.5 B

Kopitar by the slimmest of margins because of his combination of size and speed. I also think he'll be a better goal scorer than O'Sullivan, who I've seen as more of a playmaker.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
Right now Id take only Malkin ahead of Kopitar (call me crazy)..and that includes the likes of Brule (who i really like)...Radulov..O'sullivan ... the Johnson twins ..etc etc..I cant really justify my answer entirely other than "gut feeling"..and I've done very well going with that in the past... so hopefully I'm proven right...but so far so good.
Also to note he was the best player in sweden in the relegation games (I believe 11 points in 10 games)..and in the world championships his points were better than Malkins...playing against elite talents in the world...and playing on an much inferior team than Malkin was on...so take that for what its worth.
edit - the Johnsons arent really twins..that was sarcasm lol.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Right now Id take only Malkin ahead of Kopitar (call me crazy)..and that includes the likes of Brule (who i really like)...Radulov..O'sullivan ... the Johnson twins ..etc etc..I cant really justify my answer entirely other than "gut feeling"..and I've done very well going with that in the past... so hopefully I'm proven right...but so far so good.
Also to note he was the best player in sweden in the relegation games (I believe 11 points in 10 games)..and in the world championships his points were better than Malkins...playing against elite talents in the world...and playing on an much inferior team than Malkin was on...so take that for what its worth.

Kopitar will be a stud. As of right now, I'd only take Malkin and E. Johnson over him.

Techbert

Jun 9, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
Thunder vs. Lightning

This is really a case where it depends on who else you have on the team and what you need.

Patty O is a year more advanced than Anze, but they have the potential to someday play perfectly together on the same line.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

Wow.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site

Anze is a heck of a talent, but let's not get carried away here.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Is it really getting carried away? Just about everyone agrees that there's Malkin and then there's everybody else. I don't think that it's so crazy if someone wants to give Kopitar the slight edge in the "everybody else" category. That field is fairly open. It's a respectable position to think that highly of Kopitar, even if you may disagree with it. The choice of who is 2nd behind Malkin comes down more to preference than consensus, IMO.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site

Not getting carried away.... as I said take it for what its worth and just my hunch...we all agree theres Malkin Talent and then theres a drop off.... so whos the second prospect? as one poster said thats a prefeerence... some may say Brule..some Johnson some Radulov etc...doesent mean anyone getting carried away... just means thats their "educated guess".... now had I said hes gonna be better than Malkin........

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Not getting carried away.... as I said take it for what its worth and just my hunch...we all agree theres Malkin Talent and then theres a drop off.... so whos the second prospect? as one poster said thats a prefeerence... some may say Brule..some Johnson some Radulov etc...doesent mean anyone getting carried away... just means thats their "educated guess".... now had I said hes gonna be better than Malkin........

When it comes to prospects potential plays a huge role, and since potential plays a big role this is how I see it now:

Malkin

Eric Johnson
Jack Johnson
The rest....

Kopitar is around Radulov's level, I personally think Anze is much better and I really like the kid, but the three names up are higher at this point, I would also probably rank Brule higher, but Brule vs Kopitar is quite a close matchup.

DWP

Aug 2, 2003
Visit site
Someone wants to know what the knock on O'Sullivan is:

I saw O'Sullivan's play for the entire AHL season. And I don't know where the notion came from that he posseses great speed. I certainly didn't notice it as a big feature of his game. But my take on O'Sillivan is he is a natural scorer. He just has the ability to get the puck in the net. He sees the ice well and anticipates things with an uncanny ability. He has soft hands and will set up his mates.

But he plays extremly soft. He avoids hits and never delivers any of his own. He shies away from scrums on the boards and behind the nets. He lacks intensity on the defensive side of the red line (and this is an understatement).

To me, the kid has oddles of talent. But he doesn't appear to be one of those guys that digs deep when needed. These attributes will not translate well in the NHL unless he takes his overall game to the next level. Fortunately, what he lacks can be corrected with some dedication and hard work. Will the Kings demand this of him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad