Patrick Marleau vs Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

8BostonRocker24

Feb 8, 2006
Silicon Valley
Oh god no.

Patrick Marleau is one of my favorite modern non-Bruins and I remember the 1997 draft very well. I liked Marleau but everyone and their brother was saying Thornton was the sure-fire #1 pick. Thornton was bigger, more physical and a better play maker but he wasn't the goal-scorer that Marleau was.

Over the years Marleau has molded his game to what the team needs. If you look at Marleau's WHL numbers:
1995-96 - Seattle Thunderbirds - WHL: 72 GP 32-42-74
1996-97 - Seattle Thunderbirds - WHL: 71 GP 51-74-125

He was a pretty good goal scorer, even as a 16 year old he put up 32 goals. As a 17 year old he had 51 goals. Patty was drafted as a 17 year old.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins:
2009-10 - Red Deer Rebels - WHL: 67 GP 24-41-65
2010-11 - Red Deer Rebels - WHL: 61 GP 20-67-87

He just isn't the goal scorer that Marleau is/was.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
yeah but on the Power Play Marleau score very few goals, he was primarily the playmake. Marleau scored most of his goals at even strength. RNH is kinda like that minus the goal scoring at even-strength. Seattle was mostly an offensive team that year. Red Deer is more defensive and people talk about RNH's shot and how he could score more goals in the future. Marleau wasn't a great goal-scorer in the NHL before Thornton got to San Jose. I was thinking maybe his goal-scoring was inflated a bit due to the style they played in Seattle.

8BostonRocker24

Feb 8, 2006
Silicon Valley
yeah but on the Power Play Marleau score very few goals, he was primarily the playmake. Marleau scored most of his goals at even strength. RNH is kinda like that minus the goal scoring at even-strength. Seattle was mostly an offensive team that year. Red Deer is more defensive and people talk about RNH's shot and how he could score more goals in the future. Marleau wasn't a great goal-scorer in the NHL before Thornton got to San Jose. I was thinking maybe his goal-scoring was inflated a bit due to the style they played in Seattle.
Got to remember Marleau's goal totals (in part) were so low before Thornton got there because that period of time was pre-lockout. The change in rules (clutching and grabbing) really helped Marleau's game. He's a big body with a great shot.

Jesus Toews*

Got to remember Marleau's goal totals (in part) were so low before Thornton got there because that period of time was pre-lockout. The change in rules (clutching and grabbing) really helped Marleau's game. He's a big body with a great shot.

This. Marleau's 34-goal and 32-goal seasons were not accomplished on Thornton's wing.

I've never seen RNH play but his diminutive size makes this seem like a not-so-great comparison.

Pyke*

This. Marleau's 34-goal and 32-goal seasons were not accomplished on Thornton's wing.

I've never seen RNH play but his diminutive size makes this seem like a not-so-great comparison.

RNH is 6'0....Some scouting services have him as taller. He's hardly "dimunitive". While it's true he's only 165, he's an April birthday. The kid is not even 18 yet. Give him time to physically mature, and he'll be just fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad