Patrick Marleau - Magic Tricks

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
On pace for the lowest scoring season of his career. He had a strong playoffs last year so here’s hoping he can pull things together again when the time comes.

He shouldn’t be in the top 9 next year though.

He should be in the top 9 now?

Great career, great guy, God awful contract and he shouldn't play higher than the 4th line imo

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The only way you can think Marleau is better is if you solely look at box scores. He's had no defensive impact. He is one of our absolutely worst players in transition. He's one of our worst forwards at creating scoring chances. The only thing Marleau has done is capitalize on other people's offense. Nylander has been a boost in all areas except execution, and he can really only take ownership of his own there.

Don’t forget elite zone entries
Never understood these kind of comments. Reminds me of when people mocked possession stats despite it being well known that possession matters for 50 years.

Reactions: IPS and GermanLeaf

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
If Lou was here he would already be in Robidas island. I don't know how Lou was able to work that magic.

I don't think Dubas has the power Lou once did, he can't just throw Lupul on an island like Lou did against his will
lou signed him to that horrible contract in the first place. I wouldnt tout his "magic" that much.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
The only way you can think Marleau is better is if you solely look at box scores. He's had no defensive impact. He is one of our absolutely worst players in transition. He's one of our worst forwards at creating scoring chances. The only thing Marleau has done is capitalize on other people's offense. Nylander has been a boost in all areas except execution, and he can really only take ownership of his own there.

Never understood these kind of comments. Reminds me of when people mocked possession stats despite it being well known that possession matters for 50 years.

I dont understand them either, I guess its my way of saying Nylander has been hot garbage. Tons of skill but there is no "Will" in William

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I dont understand them either, I guess its my way of saying Nylander has been hot garbage. Tons of skill but there is no "Will" in William
Yeah. And I don't want to come off as if I excuse everything for him. He's an offensive weapon. At some point, all that process need to lead to good results. It hasn't.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It will only get worse next season. It is sad for a HOFer to stay on when all it is doing is sullying his reputation. But the money is so big right now. I don't know him but I hope he does the right thing. Give er 1 more playoff run and then go out still a good guy.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
For a player that is almost 40 years old having 14 goals and 21 assists in a young NHL isn't that bad. He still has some in the tank if he's putting up those numbers. The problem is he is not a 6 million dollar player.

But I really don't have an issue to what he brings to the team if it weren't the cost attached to him. He should be getting paid around 4 million a season.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Isn't there some sort of recapture if he retires though? Kind of like the Luongo situation? Not sure it works for older players.
Not exactly.

This is a 35+ contract that stays on the books at face value even after he retires.

The only escape hatch I see is to bonus him, then trade him, and then he retires leaving next years cap hit with the new team he was on at the time of retirement.

Nylander and Marleau to Carolina on July 2 for Dougie Hamilton and a second?

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Yeah, i don't get the relevance of the title.

Because at the moment it is quiet difficult to remove him from next years roster. He has NMC and a big family in Toronto. Dubas can ask him to move, but it's gonna be tough, but I hope he understands the situation and has the courage to do that, and put aside the "we respect him" thing.
If Marleau is not willing to move or retire, or there is no team in the league which would take him, than Dubas will have to come up with some kind of "magic trick", kinda like what the Blackhawks did to Hossa, when he suddenly got allergic to his equipment. Yeah, sure, lol.
Hope this explains for you.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Enough is enough. The guy is done.
There is no way Dubas doesn't ask him to leave. We cannot afford him next year, not in this cap situation we are going to face.

Even if there was no cap at all, this guy is just simply useless anymore.

How would you solve this problem? What do you think?

I'm not sure if he does magic tricks.
But I have it on good authority that he can juggle.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
14G 21A 35P, but 'worst winger in the NHL and AHL'

He's slowed down but not as bad as you are suggesting.
It needs to be taken figuratively not literally but every line he has gone to has stopped production when he lands on it. As soon as Babs saw it impacting Matty he moved him to Willy and now Kadri gets the screwing. He is a 4th liner now. That is where he belongs today at best.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He should be in the top 9 now?

Great career, great guy, God awful contract and he shouldn't play higher than the 4th line imo

He’d be best suited on the 4th line right now.

He wouldn’t be an anchor for any of the Leafs main skill guys, and would be more skilled than most other teams 4th loners so he’d probably be able to produce just fine.

He’s the only guy on the team whose contract status and past reputation determines his icetime rather than his current abilities.

Reactions: weems and Kiwi

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Get injured and accept a trade to Arizona in the offseason.

Use space to pay Marner and maybe resign Gardiner. I think his absence right now is proving to all the haters that he is an important piece that will be difficult to replace.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Anything can work if Marleau is willing.
If he's not on board, expect him on the roster.

Since Babs says and I quote " Patty flat out makes everyone better by just walking past them" ..well I have a new job for him... he can be an assistant coach just pacing back and forth behind the bench making them all better at once. Why restrict his ability to 1 line on the ice when he can help the whole team? :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->