Patrick Marleau and the hall of fame

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
This. This is a good post imo.

He is probably in the Dave Andreychuk Territory especially if he can somehow win a cup... so I honestly don't know

They already watered it down too far imo.
Why is a guy like George Armstrong in the hall? Other than he had 4 Cups in the O6 Era, he only had 700 points in 1100 games played and had 53 points for a career high as a forward.
He was basically the Matt Cullen of the O6 Era.
Sure that example is extreme, but look who the hall sometimes inducts.

Just picking one position ... You do understand that about 7 #1 centers in the current NHL were not good enough to play in the NHL during the O6 era.

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
Just picking one position ... You do understand that about 7 #1 centers in the current NHL were not good enough to play in the NHL during the O6 era.
1. a #1 C imo is top 15-16 Centers (Borderline being a guy Like Sean Monahan or Tyler Seguin), so all 1 Cs imo should at least be good enough to be Top 9 Forwards in 2019
2. Armstrong would still be a 2C like Jeff Carter or Paul Stastny most likely.

3. Still think that Marleau will get in at the borderline because of 1200 points or so in a low scoring era... and the media.

dynasty3

Jul 13, 2007
It is a no for me. As some have mentioned he is similar to Andreychuk(who himself shouldnt be in the hall of fame). There are other players who were better and not in the hall of fame, but are just as worthy, id say even moreso(Fleury, Roenick), so I dont believe Marleau is one now. Unless he wins a couple of cups in a definitive role.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
He'll get in.

Within 20 years every 1000 point player will be in unless they have some type of controversy.

Thanks to Andreychuk and Housley.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
If Joe Thornton had been traded to Phoenix instead of San Jose, we'd be having this conversation about Shane Doan

Reactions: WingsFan95

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
He'll get in.

Within 20 years every 1000 point player will be in unless they have some type of controversy.

Thanks to Andreychuk and Housley.
Lmao that's means guys like Dale Hunter, Dave Taylor and Bobby Smith...

... down with that watered down, yet interesting, HHOF players.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Lmao that's means guys like Dale Hunter, Dave Taylor and Bobby Smith...

... down with that watered down, yet interesting, HHOF players.

Hunter has too much controversy but Bobby Smith and Taylor were both substantially better then Andreychuk/Housley.

They'll both get in during slow years where they can't find 4 guys.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I've never understood most of these hall of fame discussions. He meets the qualifications to be considered when his career is over. If some incarnation of the selection committee decides he should be a hall of famer, he will be.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
1. a #1 C imo is top 15-16 Centers (Borderline being a guy Like Sean Monahan or Tyler Seguin), so all 1 Cs imo should at least be good enough to be Top 9 Forwards in 2019
2. Armstrong would still be a 2C like Jeff Carter or Paul Stastny most likely.

3. Still think that Marleau will get in at the borderline because of 1200 points or so in a low scoring era... and the media.

You legitimately think Tyler Seguin and Sean Monohan are... borderline 1Cs? Those two are bonafide top end centres, maybe not franchise players in the Crosby or McDavid group but definetely elite in their own right and definetely a 1C.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Top 5 NHL Games Played
2 Olympic Hockey Gold Medals
2 World Championships
550+ Career Goals
600+ Career Assists
1150+ Career Points
All-Time San Jose Sharks leader in goals and points

He’ll be in.

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
You legitimately think Tyler Seguin and Sean Monohan are... borderline 1Cs? Those two are bonafide top end centres, maybe not franchise players in the Crosby or McDavid group but definetely elite in their own right and definetely a 1C.
No, im really saying a top 20 center in the nhl so what would be borderline for that? Joe pavelski?

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Turgeon isn't in, and he has 1300+ points in less games. It's hard to say when guys like Neely are there imo.

There's a bunch of 80s/90s guys not in the HHOF that were better than Marleau, like Brian Propp, Steve Larmer, Theo Fleury, Alex Mogilny, et cetera..

But people seems obsessed with the HHOF for some reason, although being in or out doesn't change anything on the resume.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Ehhh...what is the best single statement you can say about the guy? He played a long time? He was fast?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Ehhh...what is the best single statement you can say about the guy? He played a long time? He was fast?

Ironman streak and 500 goals.

He's a hall of very good guy, but I'll predict he probably gets in if he wins a cup.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
He's better than other players that are in like Andrechyuk but he's also worse than players that aren't in like Fleury.

I don't think he should be in and I'm not even one of those 'exclusive' HOF people.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
All I can say is he won’t be the worst one in. Especially if he breaks the all time games played record

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
Ironman streak and 500 goals.
So... Jeremy Roenick? a non HHOFer? :laugh: yeah that makes sense :laugh:
Edit: Looked at it a bit, yeah it makes quite a bit of sense. While Roenick has a higher points per game and more top 5 centre nods, Marleau played in a lower scoring era and has way more award voting nods in general.
tbh, Roenick and Marleau are quite similar... apart from that ironman part, roenick was a little bit rocky throughout his career.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Top 5 NHL Games Played
2 Olympic Hockey Gold Medals
2 World Championships
550+ Career Goals
600+ Career Assists
1150+ Career Points
All-Time San Jose Sharks leader in goals and points

He’ll be in.

Yes, people forget it is the Hockey Hall of Fame and not the NHL Hall of Fame.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Only way he's in for me would be if he broke the all time games played record while playing every game as a shark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad