Patrick Kane's Historic Season: 121 Point Pace

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
After Crosby. You could make a case for Kane being the 2nd best player along with Malkin this decade. But definitely top 3 along with Malkin and Crosby.

giphy.gif

Reactions: IlikeEich

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
If Kane picks up every trophies (Hart, AR, Ted Lindsay..) and brings the Hawks in the playoffs, when it seemed impossible a few months earlier, he might go down having the most impressive individual season atleast of the cap era.

Let’s say he does so, his resume would look like this

2x Art Ross
2x Hart
2x Ted Lindsay
Conn Smythe
Calder
3x 1st All Star team
2 +100 pts season
3 Stanley Cup

He would be right there with Crosby, Ovy & Malkin and you could make a strong case that he’s the 2nd best player of the 2010’s.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
If Kane picks up every trophies (Hart, AR, Ted Lindsay..) and brings the Hawks in the playoffs, when it seemed impossible a few months earlier, he might go down having the most impressive individual season atleast of the cap era.

Let’s say he does so, his resume would look like this

2x Art Ross
2x Hart
2x Ted Lindsay
Conn Smythe
Calder
3x 1st All Star team
2 +100 pts season
3 Stanley Cup

He would be right there with Crosby, Ovy & Malkin and you could make a strong case that he’s the 2nd best player of the 2010’s.

OV's 07/08 would still be better, probably Malkin's 11/12 as well.

That's an impressive resume, Kane is the man. However, even giving him 3 fantasy trophies for this year, those 8 still lag behind Crosby's 11 and way behind OV's 17 (after giving him the rocket this year). So no, he's still not close. He would surpass Malkin though.

Reactions: Tavares to Marner

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
OV's 07/08 would still be better, probably Malkin's 11/12 as well.

That's an impressive resume, Kane is the man. However, even giving him 3 fantasy trophies for this year, those 8 still lag behind Crosby's 11 and way behind OV's 17 (after giving him the rocket this year). So no, he's still not close. He would surpass Malkin though.

Don’t forget Kane’s 15-16 season when he won the Art Ross by 17 points. Ovy & Malkin didn’t dominate their peers (point wise) like Kane did that year. I wouldn’t say Kane is the 2nd best player of the cap era, but he has a strong case for being second to Crosby in the 2010’s (of course only if he wins every trophies this season).

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Lets say best case scenario for Kane this year he wins Art Ross, Richard, Hart and Hawks make the playoffs.

I'd say he would have a case for sure.

Not disagreeing with this at all, in fact in another thread I have stated that with a Hart win Kane passes Malkin in to the top three of the last fifteen years.

My gif was in response to that poster not putting Ovechkin in his top three, like being purposely obtuse. It's unbelievable really.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Don’t forget Kane’s 15-16 season when he won the Art Ross by 17 points. Ovy & Malkin didn’t dominate their peers (point wise) like Kane did that year. I wouldn’t say Kane is the 2nd best player of the cap era, but he has a strong case for being second to Crosby in the 2010’s (of course only if he wins every trophies this season).

Kane's 15/16 was a great season. However, he had a line mate top 10 in pts, where as OV had 44 more pts than 2nd on his team (a rookie Backstrom). And although 106pts is impressive, it's been done a few times in the cap era, even excluding the higher scoring 05/06 and 06/07. OV's 65 goals are the most in 20+ years. And Kane was playing for the defending cup champs, where as OV dragged a team that was 14th in the conference in 07 to the playoffs in 08. So although Kane had a great season, I just don't see it as better than OV's.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
How is that cherry picking? That’s when decades start.

It's cherry picking to make Kane look better than he is by ignoring what the others accomplished in 07-09, a period when Kane was also in the league and had every opportunity to prove himself. When players started playing at basically the same time, there's no reason to only select certain time periods. Use their whole overlapping careers.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Kane’s a weird case to dissect for me. Obviously, Ovechkin and Crosby are the best of the post lockout era. I’ve always held Malkin in high regard and when healthy and the Pens relied on him whenever Crosby was out or slumping, he at times could be seen as the best player in the world.

Kane was best in the world for perhaps a season and of course he is playing fantastic hockey right now, in addition to having an upper tier career.

Now this is an opinion I’ve never shared, but for many years Toews was considered better than Kane.

So I don’t know. If he can sweep the awards this season and will a bad Blackhawks team into the playoffs, it would significantly add to his legacy and his already impressive career and trophy cabinet would look even more so.

I’d still have trouble placing him above Malkin but I can see the case since Malkin never seems to be fully healthy and he usually follows up his great seasons with only decent ones where he’ll miss 20 games.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
His streak has already been extended in the 1st period with a goal tonight.
The amount of hype I have to see him and the Hawks live in United Center next week is through the roof. Not only do I get to see a game in another O6 rink and in one of my favorite places ever, but seeing a premier superstar who is basically the Terminator on ice.

EdzosCrayon

Apr 4, 2013

Crosby is actually one of the few who has dominated on that level in recent history. In 2013-2014 he had 104 points and second place (Getzlaf) had 87. I'm going off of memory now but I think the last time prior to Crosby that someone had that big of a lead on 2nd place was Jagr. Kane is still a beast though and in elite company as far as destroying the rest of the league goes.

Edit: Nevermind, I thought you mentioned Crosby in your post and I re-read it and saw that I was wrong. Carry on.

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
Don't care about careers or decades, as far as I'm concerned Kane's been the best player in the world for the last few years. Man I wish the Hawks never traded Panarin, watching them together was magic right from the start, they were Globetrotters.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Don't care about careers or decades, as far as I'm concerned Kane's been the best player in the world for the last few years. Man I wish the Hawks never traded Panarin, watching them together was magic right from the start, they were Globetrotters.

There is this McDavid guy...

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

Let's be honest, the last time we saw Panarin in Chicago, he and Kane were playing the part of the Washington Generals.

Which isn't to say he was the problem with the team or should have been traded, obviously.

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
There is this McDavid guy...

Total points since McDavid entered
Kane 358
McDavid 339

PPG since McDavid entered
McDavid 1.24
Kane 1.17

Kane has one less Lindsay and one less Art Ross in that time. Close but yeah I guess McDavid has been better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad