Value of: Patrick Kane

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
don't look at the age with Kane...he's the arguably the best version of himself that he's been as a hockey player since he's come into the league...he's a better leader now, just as good or better hockey wise, he's committed arguably more than any veteran on the Hawks team (including Toews and Keith) and he doesn't partake in the off-ice schenanigans that he once did...he's captain material if he was on any other team, and he's going to age well because he's a smart guy that knows how to avoid contact...Toews is the guy that might hit a wall at some point because he played a different game and has a lot of miles as well...thats the contract that they will not get fair value for unless some gm is enamored with his resume because he can't play the 200ft game and produce offensively like he once could...
I don’t disagree. It’s the 10.5 cap hit for three more seasons that limits Kane’s value. In this current flat cap era I don’t see any team giving up assets (and the Hawks would expects prospects/picks in return to help their rebuild) to get Kane.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I don’t disagree. It’s the 10.5 cap hit for three more seasons that limits Kane’s value. In this current flat cap era I don’t see any team giving up assets (and the Hawks would expects prospects/picks in return to help their rebuild) to get Kane.

fair that in the flat cap world it would potentially/likely hurt his return, some said this pre-covid but fair point...that being said there is almost no chance they move Kane, he enjoys working with the youth and doesn't seem like he's as annoyed by situation, Keith is the wild card because he just wants to win again before he retires...

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Patrick Kane - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

seeing this thread reminds me of the OEL situation a little. the calibre of the player available and his contract.

Patrick Kane currently has a NMC, just like OEL. These players did not demand a trade, and it's unlikely I think Kane will "Demand" a trade. Kane currently has a NMC so.... lol. for all he can do he can submit a list of 2 teams, lol, the value of Kane can all of a sudden change.

Personally I will be far more excited to add Kane then a OEL to the Canucks no question about it. Would love to add the greatest American hockey player of all time, I like him way more then Toews, and a lot of players. I see nothing but an offer of

a 1st
2nd
Hoglander
and one of Juolevi or Rathbone going the other way and that's really about it due to covid season.
An article just came out that said toews and kane were pissed that the blackhawks are going the rebuild direction.
I think thats why people think hed be willing to waive it and that hed rather go somewhere with a chance to win rather than stay on rebuilding team. He still can control who hed waive it for.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
I think kane could get value of prospects and pucks if they were willing to retain a little.

Theres team that could maybe fit him in cap. But the question isnt whether he is worth the cap hit, but if hes worth both the cap hit and giving up your prospects. His contract isnt bad but its not friendly enough that a team is gonna commit like that and give ip orospects. Now if chicago retained 33% thas a bargain deal cap hit for a team to fit in and they might hive up prospects for that contract. At 50% retained thered absolutely be high prospects and picks returning.

Reactions: steveat

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Cozens instead of Quinn and you're getting somewhere.
As a fan of neither team, that’s probably a fair ask. I honestly forgot about Cozens when putting that offer together lol

But with Dach and Strome does Chicago even want Cozens? I would think the winger Quinn would be more attractive given organizational needs

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
As a fan of neither team, that’s probably a fair ask. I honestly forgot about Cozens when putting that offer together lol

But with Dach and Strome does Chicago even want Cozens? I would think the winger Quinn would be more attractive given organizational needs
I would expect Cozens to be a higher ceiling prospect at this point and I dont think Strome is a Hawk long term

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

Yes, because I think Cozens is a better player and he could play wing or center.
Strome is a good offensive 2C, but he has his warts and if he produces like some of us think he can, they could probably move him for a nice return while being replaced by Cozens.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Teams like my Devils might have the cap room plus some decent prospects but.. adding an elite player like Kane makes no sense as the Devils are rebuilding themselves. Of course the devils and other teams could use a player as skilled as Kane but for three years and given his age , Devils are better off just continuing to suck until they are further along on the rebuild and are actually ready to somewhat compete.
Thats where it will be hard to move Kane . Most teams that have cap room and good young assets and picks , are currently in a rebuild as well.
It will take a team ready to contend to shuffle salary around to bring in Kane. I myself cannot think of many teams that can do that ? Calgary if they move Guudreau and ??? Or .. ??? Flyers perhaps ?

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
Teams like my Devils might have the cap room plus some decent prospects but.. adding an elite player like Kane makes no sense as the Devils are rebuilding themselves. Of course the devils and other teams could use a player as skilled as Kane but for three years and given his age , Devils are better off just continuing to suck until they are further along on the rebuild and are actually ready to somewhat compete.
Thats where it will be hard to move Kane . Most teams that have cap room and good young assets and picks , are currently in a rebuild as well.
It will take a team ready to contend to shuffle salary around to bring in Kane. I myself cannot think of many teams that can do that ? Calgary if they move Guudreau and ??? Or .. ??? Flyers perhaps ?

Hence one of the many reasons why Kane is one of the least likely to be moved.

He would have to ask for a trade away from a city he loves and team he won 3 cups with lol

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I fig a Kane trade would be for a younger worse player+futures
Even as a Leaf fan I would baulk at a Nylander 1 for 1 for Kane. Obv Kane is a way better player but age and contract could cripple us when u factor in Tavares.
They arent in the same stratosphere.
10.5 for a player that good doesnt 'limit their value'.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

section 218

Jan 31, 2007
They arent in the same stratosphere.
10.5 for a player that good doesnt 'limit their value'.

Kane is a stud 1st ballot HOF

He is very comfortable in Chicago, his salary, age and NMC (Buffalo is the only team I think he would waive it for) limit the return
Hawks will not retaining salary why should/would they

Kane however does want to win another cup, he could see Buffalo has an up and coming team
If he won a cup in his hometown he would have a god like status

More of a fare trade for both teams
Miller
Montour
Asplund/Mittlestradt
unprotected 21 1st

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
Chicago rebuild seems more like keeping Kane until it's absolutely necessary to move him. He's still a top 10 player in the league. If they want to get younger and get more prospects the guy they're most likely gonna do it with is Toews. Not Keith not Kane, Toews. And I really don't think Seabrook is marketable whatsoever. Although I think Seabrook will end up being a Kraken.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Hence one of the many reasons why Kane is one of the least likely to be moved.

He would have to ask for a trade away from a city he loves and team he won 3 cups with lol
He could also be approached and asked by management to waive his NMC, which all of this discussion is prediacted on.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
He could also be approached and asked by management to waive his NMC, which all of this discussion is prediacted on.
There was just an article in the Athletic in which Toews and Kane both, through some sources, said they want to retire Blackhawks. They're not going anywhere unless they want to, or the Hawks decline to re-sign them in 3 years. That would be shocking.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Not happening.

Whrn has a 30+ player gotten a top 10 pick who hasn’t started his career yet

NOBODY will trade you a top 10 pick prospect.

At this point...

This season any trade needs to be cap neutral unless he goes to a rebuilding team. Nobody has the cap space.

In 21 with 2 yrs left the best return he gets is a 1-2+ b prospect+ salary back or retention.

Asking for Cozens isn’t at all unreasonable for Kane especially when to make it work Buffalo would likely be sending a guy like Okposo the other way as a needed cap dump.

As an example IF Broberg + Neal + Chiasson could pull us Kane I’d have no problem with that deal. Kane is way more productive than you’d expect from a 30+ year old winger and with either Edmonton or Buffalo current rosters adding a Patrick Kane pretty much guarantees the playoffs.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
I could see something around Nylander+Kerfoot+1st for Kane 0% retained
Hawks get a younger winger who can age with the young players coming in, they also get a 1st.
Leafs get an upgrade for either 1 or 2rw. Can't have Marner and Kane together.....not enough puck
Imagine the Leafs with Marner, Kane and Thornton. I could prob get 15 goals with them lol. I would be out there standing on my ankles, in my play it again sports equipment from the 90's with those guys just banking pucks in off of me lol. Man it would be good enough to earn me a 5.5x7 contract from the Habs hahaha

One Nylander is enough for Chicago!

On top of that they get a centre who just lost his job to 97 year old Joe Thornton because he underwhelmed everyone in Toronto and a late 1st round pick.... pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pertti

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
Buffalo:
Okposo
Cozens
2021 First (Tax for Okposo)
2021 and 2022 Second

Chicago:
Kane

Chicago gets a war chest full of draft picks and a highly regarded prospect who can start playing asap. Buffalo gets to shed some salary and acquires another star on a team that increasingly seems to be all-in.

This is one of the most reasonable offers I have seen. Thanks for making a real attempt to satisfy both sides.

My only caveat would be no lottery protection on the 1st.

Reactions: buffalowing88

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown

Yes, yes they do; Strome would become expendable or be kept because if Kane is dealt, you have to believe Toews is not far behind.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Kane at his current level of play is totally worth his cap hit. He only has 3 more year left on his contract, so Kane is likely to be worth his contract for the entirety of it.

Chicago is not taking back cap dumps, unless teams also pay them to do so or to make a dream trade work.

Kane would legit turn any mid-level team into a contender. He is worth a lot. Would love him on the Flames, but don't see the Flames acquiring him without giving up something they shouldn't be giving up, for example, a player like Valimaki.

Would love to see Kane on Buffalo. Kane-Eichel-Hall would be a treat to watch.

Reactions: wahsnairb

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
A player of Patrick Kane's caliber hasn't been traded in a long time.
Kessel wasnt as good but he was 27 and was roughly a point a game prior to leaving the leafs. They had to retain 1.2 of 8mm. Once all the pieces washed out, it was basically for a conditional 1st round pick and Kapanen who was a late 1st. Rebuildings can be fire sales.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Kessel wasnt as good but he was 27 and was roughly a point a game prior to leaving the leafs. They had to retain 1.2 of 8mm. Once all the pieces washed out, it was basically for a conditional 1st round pick and Kapanen who was a late 1st. Rebuildings can be fire sales.

Kane is better than Kessel. Much better. Kessel is the great complimentary piece to a team that already has Crosby and Malkin. Kane is the Crosby or Malkin.

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->