Patrick Kaleta

checkerdome

Oct 31, 2006
I only see the Sabres play occasionally.

Whenever I do, the player I find myself noticing the most is Patrick Kaleta.

Is there a consensus on this board as to his value to the Sabres?

How much does the fact he's from the Buffalo area factor into why he's on the team in the first place?

thanks

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I only see the Sabres play occasionally.

Whenever I do, the player I find myself noticing the most is Patrick Kaleta.

How much does the fact he's from the Buffalo area factor into why he's on the team in the first place?

thanks

Patrick will have to get back to where he was before he blew out his knee if he hopes to be with the team next year. Not sure if it's going to happen but he has time to get there.

The fact that he's from Buffalo plays no part as to why he's on the team. It may however play a part for Kaleta himself. He'd do anything for the team.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

1.) No, there is not. Some (I think it's a vocal minority, but still enough to mention) think he's a useless plug who isn't an NHL player. Others think he's a fine 4th liner who brings energy and PK ability (I think that's the majority, but there's no consensus).

2.) To PK, probably a lot. To Buffalo, not much. If he doesn't show signs of getting back to what he was before he got broken (minus the cheap stuff), I wouldn't be shocked if he was on another NHL team next year.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
It's hard to say if Kaleta is toast or if he just hasn't had the time to get back in form, but right now he'd clear waivers easily. He cleared waivers early last season when he was actually playing well, albeit with suspension issues. He'd since blown out his knee a few weeks after being demoted last year, returned just in time for the preseason this year where he then broke his face. Those *CL injuries often take well over a year to get back to 100%. He's definitely struggling right now.

In general his value to the team is that he's a strong PKer, a defensively responsibly bottom line guy who brings energy and who has as much passion about being a Buffalo Sabre as anyone I've ever seen. That's where being from Buffalo plays into it, he just plain wants to be a Sabre. He's basically said he doesn't want to go to another team for any reason unless the Sabres simply do not want him anymore.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Personally, I'm reaching the point where I'd rather we just move on. Enough guys on this team that can play a physical game, and Kaleta's ability to draw penalties has been significantly offset by the number of 'reputation calls' going against him.

I know he'll be crushed the day he's finally released, and that sucks, but I am just not seeing the value he provides anymore.

moomoosoup

Oct 8, 2014
I personally don't see him being here for long, maybe they give him another year or two. That being said, I don't think he's a bad player. Gives his all and I think he just needs time to get back to form.

Shoey

Hello.
Jun 25, 2006
Buffalo, NY
www.ypoiw.blogspot.com
The heart and soul. Not everything is numbers, a guy like that is a good inspiration for everyone else on the team, since he won't quit or give up.

I'll grant you that not everything is numbers, but this is a guy who has 1 goal and no assists in his last 45 games. Injuries is a valid excuse for him to say the least, but he's turned into a completely useless player.

he's actually been a pretty good possession player in his career if someone wanted to cling to numbers... but the production is so bad that I just can't give the guy a pass.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
I think his only value now is that he plays every game like it's the Stanley cup playoffs. And that's a good mindset to instill in the younger players.

But yeah, once the team gets better, there probably be no place for him unless it's an Eliis role where he plays in and out of Rochester for a few seasons and comes up when a 3rd or 4th liner is injured.

LottoPlease

Dec 30, 2013
Pegulaville
Rob Paxon said:
He cleared waivers early last season when he was actually playing well, albeit with suspension issues.

He cleared because he was essentially blackballed though, he is a vet with playoff experience after all, and his value as a depth guy who plays hard and PKs cannot be overlooked in the postseason. Just needs to stay in line when it comes to hard vs dirty.

If waived, I 100% believe he would be picked up. If someone comes calling for Kaleta, get what we can in a trade because in all liklihood he would LOVE to re-sign in July.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad