Player Discussion Patrick Eaves

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
13 games 6 goals 2 assists 8 points since joining the Ducks he had been a nice fit playing with Getzlaf. Hopefully he can continue to score goals and do so in the playoffs. Would like to sign him to a new contract but doubt we will. Maybe Vegas will look at signing him and that will be their expansion draft pick from the Ducks that would be the dream if we don't sign him.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Contract for Eaves is going to be tricky. He's coming of a 1 year 1M "show me" deal with Dallas, where he managed to put up great numbers and stay healthy all year for the first time in forever. He's probably going to ask for more $ or term than he's really worth at 32 given concussion history

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Contract for Eaves is going to be tricky. He's coming of a 1 year 1M "show me" deal with Dallas, where he managed to put up great numbers and stay healthy all year for the first time in forever. He's probably going to ask for more $ or term than he's really worth at 32 given concussion history

If he was willing to go the Selanne route with shorter term deals that pay well, assuming things go well for the remainder of the season, then I think it's a no-brainer on our part. Of course with Vegas opening shop, I would also understand why he might pursue a well paying deal with term when he hits FA. I don't think you can justify matching that if you're a contender, though.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Definitely can't afford him but what a trade by Murray. Better than the McGinn deal and almost as good as the Perron deal at this point

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
Best TDL acquisition imo. Weird year because of the Expansion looming. The only two larger deals seemed to be the shattenkirk and hanzel one's, but neither has clicked as well as Eaves has.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Agreed with all who say he's a great pickup but he shouldn't be re-signed to any deal with a high cap hit or with any sort of term.

If he's smart he will try and cash in off this season. It's likely his only chance to get a decent pay day.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
He's been a great pickup. But Bob shouldn't offer him more than 1 yr x $2M, and somebody will definitely beat that.

No way Vegas signs him early if at all.

Eh, considering what he's brought to the table to this point, I don't see a problem going higher than 2 million on a one year deal. Taking too hard of a line there can lead to another Perreault situation.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Eh, considering what he's brought to the table to this point, I don't see a problem going higher than 2 million on a one year deal. Taking too hard of a line there can lead to another Perreault situation.

Well, depending upon how much more I might not complain too much if it remains one year. But we aren't exactly out of the woods finacially next year, so Bob better be quite judicious in how he spends the few pesos we have available. We really shouldn't be competing with the 3 yr $10M type offers that I think he may receive. Hell, the Rev got 3 years at $8M last summer. Somebody will pay a 25 goal scorer. It better not be us.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Well, depending upon how much more I might not complain too much if it remains one year. But we aren't exactly out of the woods finacially next year, so Bob better be quite judicious in how he spends the few pesos we have available. We really shouldn't be competing with the 3 yr $10M type offers that I think he may receive. Hell, the Rev got 3 years at $8M last summer. Somebody will pay a 25 goal scorer. It better not be us.

I agree. I think that the only thing that might keep him here is if he's willing to take less to play with a contender, but that all depends on how things play out in the playoffs.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I hope Murray tries to get him signed but Eaves is likely (and understandably) going to outprice himself. Someone will pay him big time and they might get a good player but also have to carry the risks.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I don't have a problem with money for him - its more that I bet he'll want term. Over 30 and history of multiple severe concussions makes me leery of him ending up another LTIR case. I really like the guy and he fits well, but I hope we're not the guys that give him his retirement contract.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
I wanted Murray to sign Eaves in the summer, so it's great that we picked him up mid-season, but unless the guy is willing to sign at a big discount, I think we'd be better off going with Kase or one of the kids. I'm also counting on one of our D going for a comparable forward, so we may be pretty set without Beard anyhow.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Assuming he stays healthy and plays at or near his current level I'd be happy with 2 years/5 million.

He's not just an opportune goal scorer, he knows where to be to score goals. Something our youngins could definitely learn from. Rakell seems to have already picked this skill up, which is pretty remarkable for a young elite skill player.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Ritchie will be expected to fill this role next year. We'll see how that goes. 3yr 6 million or 2 year 4.5 million is the max I'd do for Eaves

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Ritchie will be expected to fill this role next year. We'll see how that goes. 3yr 6 million or 2 year 4.5 million is the max I'd do for Eaves
I'd hold off signing Eaves for anything beyond next year until we know where we sit on Fowler, Manson, and even some of our young, ELC-level players, not to mention Gibson and Silfverberg the following year.

I'd love to get him back for next year, but we're likely going to get beat out by a well-paying offer with term that we simply can't give him.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
It's worth noting that Eaves was drafted the same year as Getzlaf, Perry, and Kesler. He is a year older though. Any concerns about him declining through the contract should be informed by any concerns you do or don't have with the other 2003'ers.

If he wants multi-year contracts, he can get one this year or next year without being a 35+.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
It's worth noting that Eaves was drafted the same year as Getzlaf, Perry, and Kesler. He is a year older though. Any concerns about him declining through the contract should be informed by any concerns you do or don't have with the other 2003'ers.

If he wants multi-year contracts, he can get one this year or next year without being a 35+.

Yeah, I dunno about that. I think there's a pretty big difference between Eaves and those three, but more importantly I don't think it's right to lump guys in by their draft year to project how they'll age. I've always thought all the big three had a decent chance of aging pretty well, but all for different reasons. With Eaves, he's a good not great player with a major injury history, not sure he really fits that.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Yeah, I dunno about that. I think there's a pretty big difference between Eaves and those three, but more importantly I don't think it's right to lump guys in by their draft year to project how they'll age. I've always thought all the big three had a decent chance of aging pretty well, but all for different reasons. With Eaves, he's a good not great player with a major injury history, not sure he really fits that.

I agree this is the big worry with Eaves more than his age. He has had several major concussions... of the out cold - stretchered off- major recovery time variety. I swear this guys helmet has a puck magnet in it or something.

Oct 18, 2011
where is the money going to come from unless anaheim can get rid of bieksa/stoner contracts or trade sami while freeing up salary?

we're once again going to be trying to plug holes as we go, hoping for some young kids to step up(hasn't really happened this year unless you count Rakell, Ritchie has improved but not an impact player yet)

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
where is the money going to come from unless anaheim can get rid of bieksa/stoner contracts or trade sami while freeing up salary?

we're once again going to be trying to plug holes as we go, hoping for some young kids to step up(hasn't really happened this year unless you count Rakell, Ritchie has improved but not an impact player yet)

If I had to guess, Sami will indeed be going, or Fowler if they realize they cant re-sign him. At least one of Montour/Theodore deserves to stay up (not totally sure Montour can eveb be sent down next year), the cap remains an issue and we could use the scoring help. But I guess we'll cross that bridge when it comes.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
Like many, I'd say resign him for 2yr 2.5 per at max. I see him getting 3 years 10 mil elsewhere, so I don't see him resigning unfortunately

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I think we've had this discussion before. If your stance is that everyone is their own special snowflake then fine.

Just know that actuarial science is a thing and that a lot of people get really rich off of things like this in insurance, gambling, Wall Street, and the like. In any one case you may be right, but if you constantly expect better than average then it means you're a homer.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I think we've had this discussion before. If your stance is that everyone is their own special snowflake then fine.

Just know that actuarial science is a thing and that a lot of people get really rich off of things like this in insurance, gambling, Wall Street, and the like. In any one case you may be right, but if you constantly expect better than average then it means you're a homer.

Oh, well people get "really rich" off things like this, so I guess thats the end of the argument. I'm gonna guess that if someone was going to try and get "really rich" off of projecting hockey players' career paths, they wouldnt be so lazy as to look at how the typical (which three of these guys are not) hockey player ages and call it a day.

This isnt being a homer, either. I love Eaves and really hope he stays, I'm just saying hes a different case. This isnt "everyones a special snowflake", its looking at their abilities, looking at their styles, looking at their histories and making an assessment. Like I said, Eaves has a major injury history and is a much less effective player, its not blasphemy to suggest he'll fall off the cliff before those three do.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Well, with his 28 goals, in fantasy leagues around the world, there probably isn't much Eaves-dropping going on.

I really needed to get that off my chest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad