Patrick eaves

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Somewhere in the middle ? He's not slow, that's for sure. I'd say he's more quick than fast. Not a burner like Helm obviously.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Somewhere in the middle ? He's not slow, that's for sure. I'd say he's more quick than fast. Not a burner like Helm obviously.

I was thinking top half. Our team speed is pretty bad/slow when you really think about it.

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
I wouldn't say he's "fast", but is quick. He doesn't have the breakaway speed like Darren Helm or Datsyuk, but I've noticed he's really quick moving East/West and in tight quarters.

Watch when he has the puck behind the goal line, he's very quick and always keeps his feet moving

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I was thinking top half. Our team speed is pretty bad/slow when you really think about it.[/QUOTd]

cutting cleary and reducing the role of bertuzzi should help. especially as their minutes are replaced by nyquist and tatar. Those kids have wheels

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Eaves has good speed and he plays a smart, hard game. He's a glue type of guy, the kind of guy that Cup winning teams have on their 3rd and 4th lines. Can PK, can take a shift on the PP and not embarrass himself, etc. Big on heart.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Eaves has good speed and he plays a smart, hard game. He's a glue type of guy, the kind of guy that Cup winning teams have on their 3rd and 4th lines. Can PK, can take a shift on the PP and not embarrass himself, etc. Big on heart.

Lol Eaves only embarrasses himself on shootout attempts.

Thank you for reminding me btw.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013

I agree with all of this. I did feel early last year he was struggling a little after the injury but towards the end of the season he came back pretty well. I've always liked the guy and hope he gets a fair shot either here or somewhere.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Patrick's brother Ben Eaves has decided to retire because of continuous concussion symptoms.

I wonder what this decision would affect his brothers NHL career. It hasn't been concussion/injury free either.

http://www.jokerit.com/uutiset/?nid=2490

Google translation with some brainfart fixes by myself.

Ben Eaves to end his career as a player

Jokerit center Ben Eaves, 31, has quit his career as a player. The American forward made the decision this week after last season to become a more discomfort returned.

Eaves was injured last season in the end of October European Trophy match against Färjestad. An injury in a hitting situation forced him to a long period of convalescence, but he was still playing the final period of a couple of games.

Eaves returned after the season back home and started slowly towards the training. After returning to Finland and Jokerit exercises he felt normal until the last Sunday the situation changed. The player does not want to take the risk with their health, but decided to stop playing.

-I have come to the point of not being able to compete without migraines and dizziness. This is pretty hard to describe, but my brain is not able to process things fast enough, Eaves says.

-It was the right time to make this decision, because of uncertainty about my own condition has been a difficult time for both myself as the home team.

At the beginning of summer training Eaves had a few difficult moments, when the head began to ache. However, he got a good rhythm, and later returned to Finland in good health. Finally, in his latest match last week against Kiekko-Vantaa he scored 1+2 points and all looked good.

-I had a couple of difficult moments at the beginning of the summer, but I recovered well of them. I believed that I am able to play again. I never thought that I would return to the situation where I was six months ago, Eaves says.

Earlier in his career Eaves suffered a bad knee injury, which is why he stopped playing once. Rehabilitation helped, so that the return was possible. Now, Eaves is convinced, however, that the games are over forever.

Yes, this is the end. I am 31 years old and it is a head injury, so now is definitely the time to move forward, he says, and yet think about what you are doing in the future.

-The first thing is to get myself into shape. Everything has happened so quickly and I am so disappointed at the moment, it is impossible to think about the future in the long term.

Eaves represented Jokerit Helsinki in 97 regular season games, scoring 24 +39 = 63 points. In 15 playoff games played he scored 2 +8 = 10 points. At 2011-12 season Jokerit and Eaves proceeded European Trophy finalist and the forward was elected the best player of the tournament.

Head coach Tomi Lämsä worked with Eaves his entire Jokerit-career. The whole team will support Eaves decision, who was a big part of the team to the rink and beyond.

-Ben Eaves is a great player, just one of the very best at SM-liiga. It is really a big shame that this level of the individual is required to make such a decision, Lämsä says.

Eaves has only great memories playing for Jokerit Helsinki. He would like to thank the organization, other than the fans for all the support that has been received in the past few years.

-Players, coaches, management, physiotherapy, doctors, club management ... would not have been a better place in which to play hockey. I have been treated great as when I was healthy as when I have been injured, Eaves says.

Fan-sides, I have never experienced anything like this. They were behind us, even though we played poorly between. Here, around has been really special people, and they miss most of all the ice.

**** happens. He was kind of the Marc Savard of SM-Liiga. Superb playmaker at this level and same kind of end for a career.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Patrick's brother Ben Eaves has decided to retire because of continuous concussion symptoms.

I wonder what this decision would affect his brothers NHL career. It hasn't been concussion/injury free either.

http://www.jokerit.com/uutiset/?nid=2490

Google translation with some brainfart fixes by myself.

**** happens. He was kind of the Marc Savard of SM-Liiga. Superb playmaker at this level and same kind of end for a career.

That's really a shame. I hate to see anyone's career end because of a concussion.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
That's really a shame. I hate to see anyone's career end because of a concussion.

The issue with concussions is that they often manifest themselves throughout life, as well. It's one thing to lose time on the ice, but another entirely to have a personality shift or mental health issues later in life as a result.

I know I've harped on this a lot, but I feel it gets lost in the shuffle when concussions are discussed. Unfortunately, it can turn into a lifetime problem, as we're literally talking about brain damage.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The issue with concussions is that they often manifest themselves throughout life, as well. It's one thing to lose time on the ice, but another entirely to have a personality shift or mental health issues later in life as a result.

I know I've harped on this a lot, but I feel it gets lost in the shuffle when concussions are discussed. Unfortunately, it can turn into a lifetime problem, as we're literally talking about brain damage.

yeah, but they get paid lots of money.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
yeah, but they get paid lots of money.

I suppose. Not sure how comforting that is. I wouldn't damage my brain for a billion dollars. This is very recent information, and area of current study, about the long-term effects of concussions. This article sums it up pretty well.

http://www.npr.org/2013/03/15/174409382/can-just-one-concussion-change-the-brain

FLANAGAN: Absolutely not. So, most people who have a concussion - which is a mild traumatic brain injury - do fairly well and actually become asymptomatic within a fairly short period of time. But there is a, what I would call a significant minority - that can range anywhere between 10 and 20 percent, depending on what literature you read - that may go on to develop chronic problems.

And that may include problems with mood, being depressed or anxious, or maybe problems with headaches or balance, or maybe just difficulty with their thinking, having problems paying attention or concentrating. So it's a small percentage, but a significant minority.

Additionally...

FLANAGAN: So it's not surprising to me in that people can develop these long-lasting problems. I think what is striking about the study is that there's evidence of structural changes. There's actually a physical change in the brain that potentially may account for some of these problems that people have over the long term.

FLATOW: Problems such as?

FLANAGAN: Such as being anxious or depressed, perhaps having problems with their ability to pay attention, concentrate, plan and organize, solve problems. And these are some of the common symptoms that people who have what we know as post-concussion syndrome often complain about.

Physiological changes including shrinkage of parts of the brain.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I suppose. Not sure how comforting that is. I wouldn't damage my brain for a billion dollars. This is very recent information, and area of current study, about the long-term effects of concussions. This article sums it up pretty well.

Well, brain damage is a matter of degree. Drinking gives you brain damage, but I'd wager most of the folks here haven't had to be paid a billion dollars to get drunk. We've damaged our brains for free.

Not to make light of the long term effects of concussions and brain injuries - just wanted to point out that a lot of things are bad for the brain to various degrees and we do them by choice anyway.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Well, brain damage is a matter of degree. Drinking gives you brain damage, but I'd wager most of the folks here haven't had to be paid a billion dollars to get drunk. We've damaged our brains for free.

Not to make light of the long term effects of concussions and brain injuries - just wanted to point out that a lot of things are bad for the brain to various degrees and we do them by choice anyway.
Right, but brain damage from semi-casual drinking (which I hope is what we all engage in :P) is sort of a minor case. If we want to have something to compare to concussions in terms of effect, we'd have to use something as strong as long-term alcoholism or drug use. You kill brain cells, sure—but more importantly, you cause structural change and perhaps permanent behavioral change as well.

Some of these guys get "punch drunk," some get anxiety that they didn't have before, depression, inability to perform certain tasks like reading for more than a short period of time, etc. Worse, some get Chris Benoit-type effects—some lose serious behavioral control or inhibition and do things they regret.

While brain damage is a matter of degree, the control of it isn't much of one. You either take part in things that are relatively unlikely to cause demonstrable harm (drinking), or you head out into the warzone and take part in things that are sadly pretty likely to cause that demonstrable harm (hockey). There isn't much of a gradient.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Right, but brain damage from semi-casual drinking (which I hope is what we all engage in :P) is sort of a minor case. If we want to have something to compare to concussions in terms of effect, we'd have to use something as strong as long-term alcoholism or drug use. You kill brain cells, sure—but more importantly, you cause structural change and perhaps permanent behavioral change as well.

Some of these guys get "punch drunk," some get anxiety that they didn't have before, depression, inability to perform certain tasks like reading for more than a short period of time, etc. Worse, some get Chris Benoit-type effects—some lose serious behavioral control or inhibition and do things they regret.

While brain damage is a matter of degree, the control of it isn't much of one. You either take part in things that are relatively unlikely to cause demonstrable harm (drinking), or you head out into the warzone and take part in things that are sadly pretty likely to cause that demonstrable harm (hockey). There isn't much of a gradient.

Well said.

Sure, we all do things that aren't great for us. But very few of them equate to shockwaves rippling through your brain due to impact with the skull.

I'm not saying pro athletes need to be put in bubble wrap. Impact and accidents are part of the game and will be forever. Unfortunate consequences will happen.

But given the long-standing issues concussions create, the league needs to continue to invest in better protective technology AND continue to crack down on hits to the head. That's one area I think we can all agree on and it will certainly not negatively impact the quality of hockey we watch.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

http://www.npr.org/2013/03/15/174409382/can-just-one-concussion-change-the-brain

Additionally...

Physiological changes including shrinkage of parts of the brain.

i-dont-always-send-a-sarcastic-text.jpeg

They can buy more brains from some Ethiopian children. :sarcasm: : other cues denoting the use of sarcasm:

:D

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You know that scene in Louie where he believes that girl was named Tape Recorder? That's me. All the time. My whole life.

Louie_305REV_30_1080p_FXWEB_640x360_28692454.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad