Patrick Eaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
He's a gritty player, sometimes dirty as **** (knocked out Merrimack's goalie into a coma in a questionable collision). He's also pretty skilled, captain material type. Not big though. My guess is that he'll be a bona fide top 6 forward for the Sens in the near future.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Leachmeister2000 said:
He's a gritty player, sometimes dirty as **** (knocked out Merrimack's goalie into a coma in a questionable collision). He's also pretty skilled, captain material type. Not big though. My guess is that he'll be a bona fide top 6 forward for the Sens in the near future.

You're talking about Joe Exter, right? I watched the tape of that incident over and over again, and its clear to me that was a complete accident. As for where i'd put him on my list, hes in the 51-55 range, right on the fringe.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
SensGuy said:
11 points in 4 games this year. He's the leader of that Boston College team. Is this guy a top 50 prospect? What kind of upside does he have?

This sounds cliche, but think Mike York or Chris Drury. Those two seem to be the "average" American forward these days. Eaves plays a similar game. Average size, good wheels, great instincts, hustles, good leadership, and fairly responsible two-way game.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Captain Conservative said:
You're talking about Joe Exter, right? I watched the tape of that incident over and over again, and its clear to me that was a complete accident. As for where i'd put him on my list, hes in the 51-55 range, right on the fringe.

It definitely was an accident, Exter was far out of his crease so it was fair game anyways...it just sucks it happened like that.

I'd put him on the fringe too, just missing out.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Patrick Eaves is a solid prospect for sure, but a top 50 prospect? Really hard to say. His offensive skills are clearly enough for NCAA, but his size and injury history are big question marks. I like him, but I wouldn't have him in my top 50, despite a very strong start this season for Eaves.

He could be a guy on the rise though. Sens fans, don't fret if he doesn't get much 'hype' for a little while yet, since players such as he have to proove they can hack it in the AHL for most people to hop on board the bandwagon, and in a lot of ways, that's the smart thing to do - wait until he turns pro before we laud him too much.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Well it sounds like he's the best player in the NCAA right now..having the highest PPG and all. I too would like to see how he'd perform in the AHL.

Spezza

Dec 13, 2002
Ottawa <-> Scotland
I hear what people are saying about size. Sure he's not massive, but he doesn't back down, he's got that edge and as far as fitting in with what the sens need I'd say thats a good fit. He's not really being hyped up by anyone (save McKeens - ranking him a 3.5 out of 5, ranked 2nd in the org. rankings behind Emery). Example in the recent 2003 reranking poll his HFBoards stock has actually fallen below the 29th where he was picked at.

I listed the stats for a comparison in that thread of the two other NCAA forwards taken in that position.

Jessiman's Stats
----------------
02-03 Dartmouth (ECAC) 34GP 23G 24A 47PT 48 PIM
03-04 Dartmouth (ECAC) 34GP 16G 17A 33PT 71 PIM

Eaves
------
02-03 Boston College (HE) 14GP 10G 8A 18PT 61 PIM
03-04 Boston College (HE) 34GP 18G 23A 41PT 66 PIM

Tambellini
----------
02-03 Michigan (CCHA) 43GP 26G 19A 45P 24 PIM
03-04 Michigan (CCHA) 39GP 15G 12A 27P 18 PIM

I know stats don't tell the whole story, but as well as increasing his production he was a leader on his team and was described by McKeens as "arguably the teams best forward during there frozen four run". Anywho, it's upto everyone who they like best. I've got an interest in Eaves as a sens fan and I like the way he's progressing, sure I'm a little puzzled why people appear to think of Tambellini and to a lesser extent Jessiman as being so much better (I guess he's playing catchup to the injury ridden 02-03 season and the size issue, but all but the very best have a deficency of some form) - I don't think its that much of a stretch to mention him in the same breath as them.

But at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter whether or not he makes the top 50 list (which I'm sure will be a nice read) - just as long as he keeps playing the way he has been. I think he has an excellent chance of making it as a player in the league.

Last edited:

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
Spezza said:
I know stats don't tell the whole story, but as well as increasing his production he was a leader on his team and was described by McKeens as "arguably the teams best forward during there frozen four run". .

Was that not his brother Ben Eaves that they were talking about? Not sure when that frozen four was played since i don't follow the NCAA beyond any Pens prospects, but regarding the leader of that BC team, it was definitely Ben who they were talking about. Perhaps not for the frozen four as i said, although didn't Ben score some big goal to win that for them, or was that to get them there in the first place?

Spezza

Dec 13, 2002
Ottawa <-> Scotland
The quote is about Patrick. As to being a leader on the team, I'd emphasise that he was "[bold]a[/bold] leader" on his team. His brother was definitely important to BC last year though, as the Captain of BC last season - as to big goals Ben scored the winner against Michigan in the regional finals to put them into the frozen four.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Think a Bryan Smolinski type. Good skills, but not dominant. Gritty guy who could turn out to be a good shutdown and insitgator type to frustrate the other team's top line. And good enough to be on a scoring line, but doubtful he'll be the offensive catalyst. It doesn't look like he'll be a point a game guy at the next level, but perhaps a 50 point solid two-way player.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I think skill wise maybe like Smoke, but i get the impression he's far more (use your favorite synonym for gritty here) than Smolinski.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Patrick Eaves does it all. He's gritty, skilled, has quickness as well as speed and he sacrifices his body, has a quick accurate shot, can make a pass and has some moves to boot. I'd compare him to a poor man's Roenick, a gritty player who does whatever it takes to win and has good skills (but not at the same level as J.R. had in his prime). Eaves could net 50 points a year in his prime while playing on a top line. A 30-40 point second line player is a safer bet though and he may have to reign in how much he sacrifices his body at the pro level or he could end up hurt more often than not.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Tha ACE said:
Could you compare him to Brendan Morrow or Steve Ott?

I don't think either of those players are good comparisons. Eaves is neither a wannabe power forward or a glorified **** disturber. He's an average sized two-way player with an excellent mind for the game and a fiesty temperment. He's got good, but not elite skills, and is a good skater. Think Mike York.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I think he's more of a goal scorer than York. Pat's brother Ben is probably more similar to York than he is (except maybe in the grit department).

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
I always had this feeling that Patrick's desire to spend the 4 years at BC hurt his draft status. Teams just sort of shyd away from having to let a prospect wait that long, especially in a deep draft. Thinking he may have gone 13-23 had he been in say the CHL. Anybody else think this?

Spezza

Dec 13, 2002
Ottawa <-> Scotland
Roughneck said:
I always had this feeling that Patrick's desire to spend the 4 years at BC hurt his draft status. Teams just sort of shyd away from having to let a prospect wait that long, especially in a deep draft. Thinking he may have gone 13-23 had he been in say the CHL. Anybody else think this?

Could well be, but I'd also put it down to the injury in his draft year. He only played 14 games so some teams had very little to go on.

Perry91502

Dec 23, 2003
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
It definitely was an accident, Exter was far out of his crease so it was fair game anyways...it just sucks it happened like that.

I'd put him on the fringe too, just missing out.

Maybe it was an accident, but I lost all respect for that kid after he was shown in the NECN video, laughing as Exter lay motionless on the ice with blood pouring from his ear.

Thats why several Merrimack players jumped Eaves after the play. The hit may have been an accident, but what Eaves did after was a complete disgrace.

Spezza

Dec 13, 2002
Ottawa <-> Scotland
That's the first time I've heard anything about him laughing after the play. All the info I've read on the subject hasn't mentioned it and I've just done a pretty extensive search on google about it (granted it's 2 years ago). Do you have a link to any articles or anyting that confirms the story the way you recall it? Thanks.

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
Seems like a typical Eaves - great college player, but probably too small and injury prone to have the same impact in the NHL. Maybe he'll buck the trend. I watched Mike Eaves show flashes of brilliance as a North Star, but in the end, his noggin couldn't take the bell ringing he was getting.

Cat Called Bobcat

Dec 3, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Perry91502 said:
Maybe it was an accident, but I lost all respect for that kid after he was shown in the NECN video, laughing as Exter lay motionless on the ice with blood pouring from his ear.

Thats why several Merrimack players jumped Eaves after the play. The hit may have been an accident, but what Eaves did after was a complete disgrace.

Well, it's a good thing for Eaves that Exter is more forgiving than you are.

Exter and Eaves have not talked since the near-tragic collision. Fighting occurred between Merrimack and Boston College players after Exter was injured. Emotions were high.

Patrick Eaves came to the hospital when Exter was in a comatose state. "My mother came up and gave him a hug," Exter said, almost proudly.

He saw Patrick quoted as saying that he wanted to put this behind him, and that's why he hasn't called him.

"He was playing hard and I was playing hard. It was simply hockey. There are no hard feelings," Exter said. "I appreciate the support I received from him and his family. The power of the human spirit is strong."

He did write Eaves a letter. "What I told him," said Exter, "is that I want someone on my team that plays the way he plays."

Article

Perry91502

Dec 23, 2003
Perry91502 said:

I dont recall a story, I heard it from players whom I knew on the team...also, if you remember the story from NECN during the incident, they focused on it as well. They showed video, and had commentary on it

Perry91502

Dec 23, 2003
kissmeimasensfan said:
Well, it's a good thing for Eaves that Exter is more forgiving than you are.

Article

Hey, I never said the hit was dirty. I said that I thought it was just two guys going hard for the puck. However, I disagree with laughing at someone who is convulsing on the ground. YOu cant tell me that Eaves "didnt know it was serious like that" or some lame excuse. He had trainers and doctors from EACH side on the ice attending to him, and was taken off the ice on a stretcher.

I wish Eaves the best of luck with his career, however I dont have to respect him for his actions after "the play".

The Fuhr*

I think if Eaves hits his full potential he could be a Peca type player that will get you around 30 goals a season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->