Patrick Eaves vs. Chris Higgins

Shabutie

Jul 26, 2004
Ottawa
I.M. Fletcher said:
I am going to go out and say Eaves could have himself a Ryan Smyth career. There, I said it
That's what I said about Higgins and everyone shat on me.

habsfansam

Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere dark...?
BlueAndWhite said:
However, so far this season Wellwood has been able to produce offensively despite not being on the top lines for most part of the year.

I don't know much about Wellwood's ice time or what line he's been playing on, so I can't really comment to that. I will say that Wellwood's stats seem to benefit from his PP time while Higgins has done the majority of his damage even strength. Nearly 50% of Wellwood's points have come on the PP (17 of 38, compared to Higgins who has only 10 of his 34 points on the PP)...

Whatever the playing circumstances, that Higgins now has 20 goals to Wellwood's 11 and has been leading the league in that department since his ascension to the 1st line is an important difference.

Back on the original topic, I've been impressed with Eaves playing a great 2-way game and prospering lately as the injury bug has hit Ottawa. Good on him! :clap:

That being said, I hope we kick Ottawa's butt tonight. GO HABS! :yo:

Shabutie

Jul 26, 2004
Ottawa
habsfansam said:
Whatever the playing circumstances, that Higgins now has 20 goals to Wellwood's 11 and has been leading the league in that department since his ascension to the 1st line is an important difference.
That's not true, he's been leading the league in goals since the olympic break, he joined the first line about a month before that.

Murphy*

I.M. Fletcher said:
I am going to go out and say Eaves could have himself a Ryan Smyth career. There, I said it

He'll be better IMO. Eaves has become my favourite Sens player I love watching him play.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
NyQuil said:
Eaves wasn't even playing on the Senators in October and November when they were at their best. I don't really think you know what you're talking about on this issue.

He was only on the roster pretty much when the injuries began to occur, which coincidentally is also when the team's fortunes swung downwards for a spell.

Well the Habs were only able to score more then 3 goals after the olympics break. Montreal had a hard time scoring goals for most of the year...when you leading scorer don't even have 60 points and your leading goal scorer don't even have 30 goals, your team is far from an offensice powerhouse like Ottawa.

Eaves is a pretty good player, just like Higgins, but swap the two players and I bet you that Eaves would have less points and Higgins would have more points. It's two different team so statwise, it's hard to compare the two player.

We should only talk about their skills...and they are pretty similar.

EDIT: oh and Higgins is way better then Eaves, he got two points tonight against the Sens...just kidding :D

SammyTheBull

Dec 1, 2005
Freaky Habs Fan said:
Well the Habs were only able to score more then 3 goals after the olympics break. Montreal had a hard time scoring goals for most of the year...when you leading scorer don't even have 60 points and your leading goal scorer don't even have 30 goals, your team is far from an offensice powerhouse like Ottawa.

Eaves is a pretty good player, just like Higgins, but swap the two players and I bet you that Eaves would have less points and Higgins would have more points. It's two different team so statwise, it's hard to compare the two player.

We should only talk about their skills...and they are pretty similar.

EDIT: oh and Higgins is way better then Eaves, he got two points tonight against the Sens...just kidding :D

Arnason was getting some points with Chicago yet he's not producing on the second line of the most porductive team in the league. :dunno: You could bring what ifs into the topic but I think both are similar in their game and very exciting to watch. Seeing as I get RDS and watch every Habs game I don't miss much of 'Iggins' ;)

I'll say Eaves takes a beating out there a la Ryan Smyth and he gets right back into the play or parks himself infront of the net. A small piece of the puzzle that Ottawa has needed for a long time.

Shabutie

Jul 26, 2004
Ottawa
SammyTheBull said:
Arnason was getting some points with Chicago yet he's not producing on the second line of the most porductive team in the league. :dunno: You could bring what ifs into the topic but I think both are similar in their game and very exciting to watch. Seeing as I get RDS and watch every Habs game I don't miss much of 'Iggins' ;)

I'll say Eaves takes a beating out there a la Ryan Smyth and he gets right back into the play or parks himself infront of the net. A small piece of the puzzle that Ottawa has needed for a long time.
Some players play better when their's absolutely no pressure. He just joined a powerhouse and I think you had to expect him to struggle a little when he joined. I thought it was an odd acquisition for you guys to make seing as you guys have better 2 way centers than Arnason and Imo Vermette could have done fine on the second line.

Edit: Btw the wasy you described Eaves is also fitting to Higgins and the canadiens. We've both got something good on our hands and Imo a Ryan Smyth comparison to both is fairly accurate.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Raging Bull said:
I don't recall that, but I do know that whoever coached them both in Belleville (when they were traded for eachother straight up) said that they would end their NHL careers with around the same point totals. I wouldn't compare Wellwood to Spezza at all though, I'm not crazy.

I dont think you did it but I CLEARLY remeber the threads with those ridiculous comaprisons. "Wellwood is 2nd in scoring behind Spezza right now, are they really that far apart?" Possibly Mess. :dunno:

Freaky Habs Fan said:
Eaves is a pretty good player, just like Higgins, but swap the two players and I bet you that Eaves would have less points and Higgins would have more points.

I disagree based partially on this.

Shabutie said:
Well, Higgins has been given a shot, and since the olympic break he's proven worthy of it (13 g).

Higgins was playing well before the break but really his offense only came about after being thrown onto the first. He's been playing with Koivu and Ryder, not bad linemates, and IMO that clearly a large part of what has led to his offensive explosion. Koivu is after all one of the best playmakers in the NHL, top 10 for sure.

On the other hand, like Nyquil mentioned, Eaves has been very consistant in his production. That counts his recent shifts with Arnason-Alfredsson, and Heatley-Spezza, but also counts the majority of the season he spent on a line with Varada and Kelly, not exactly offensive players, and still offering pretty much our main source of secondary scoring during our "slump". Eaves just gets to loose pucks and puts them in. In short if we were to make the mental excercise of switching them it could be argued that Eaves could have the same production as Higgins has (he can make some of those tap ins just as well as Chris ;) ), if he played with Koivu (and to a lesser extent Ryder). But its really a moot point as I do agree they are quite similar. BTW This massive book might make it look like i'm diminishing what Higgins has done, not at all, the guy has earned everything he's gotten. Awesome play by him and i'm really happy he's been rewarded (statistically) for his hard work.

I'd personally take Eaves but i'm sure most habs fans would take Higgins.

Shabutie

Jul 26, 2004
Ottawa
Bileur said:
Higgins was playing well before the break but really his offense only came about after being thrown onto the first. He's been playing with Koivu and Ryder, not bad linemates, and IMO that clearly a large part of what has led to his offensive explosion. Koivu is after all one of the best playmakers in the NHL, top 10 for sure.
As I said before, Higgins has been playing on the first line since February, he's only been on fire since the olympic break (which is when Koivu and Ryder woke up). For a large part of February Chris carried that line, but they couldn't manage to find the scoreboard.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Shabutie said:
As I said before, Higgins has been playing on the first line since February, he's only been on fire since the olympic break (which is when Koivu and Ryder woke up). For a large part of February Chris carried that line, but they couldn't manage to find the scoreboard.

It takes a while for guys to get the timing perfect, especially with the pressure on Higgins to produce on the first line (MTL media anyone?) he must have been tremendously nervous. But now they are clicking and we're seeing the results.Plus its not like february was a long month to get working together. I also think the olympics was good for Koivu as he seemed to come back a bit refreshed and he's been making some absolutely sick set ups since then.

BTW the Smyth comparison seems good. Damn I hope we didnt just jinx it.

Shabutie

Jul 26, 2004
Ottawa
Bileur said:
It takes a while for guys to get the timing perfect, especially with the pressure on Higgins to produce on the first line (MTL media anyone?) he must have been tremendously nervous. But now they are clicking and we're seeing the results.Plus its not like february was a long month to get working together. I also think the olympics was good for Koivu as he seemed to come back a bit refreshed and he's been making some absolutely sick set ups since then.

BTW the Smyth comparison seems good. Damn I hope we didnt just jinx it.
Ya Koivu took a while after the olympic break (I'd say roughly 7-8 games) then he really got going. He's been pretty consistent since and I think 90% of habs fans are surprised/delighted to see a guy like Higgins get this kind of chance and have 20 (+) goals in his rookie season. A future Alternate Captain.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
I think Eaves is a fair bit more physical than Higgins. And I think Higgins plays a sounder fundamental game. Eaves should put up slightly better numbers, whereas Higgins is (and will continue to be) a bit more reliant upon linemates (he's a give-and-go offensive producer, for the most part).

Both should be clutch, and both will make players around them better.

I don't think they're all that similar in style, but should wind up having similar effects on their teams.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004
Comparaison

Eaves seems to have the edge on offense and in the skating department, while Higins is biger and maybe a tiny bit more polished in the defensive department (not saying that Eaves is not good... just not as polished)

Eaves seems to have a bigger upside... but Higgins might be a better fit in Mtl.

As for Welwood he's a good player... but not close to what Leafsnation members rate him... actually is there any Leafs player that is :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The biggest issue about Arnason is that he's not being used on the 2nd PP unit, which boggles the mind.

The PP is a good way to get players going offensively, but Murray has rarely put him out there.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Bartender said:
Eaves seems to have the edge on offense and in the skating department, while Higins is biger and maybe a tiny bit more polished in the defensive department (not saying that Eaves is not good... just not as polished)

I don't think so. One of Higgins' best assets is his deceptive speed. He's one of Montreal's best skaters.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Both are very fluid skaters, both are work horses in all three zones, both have very good offensive potential.... Eaves may be more involved in the corners with his physical play, but you can't get much better than Higgins for winning battles in the offensive zone. He'll beat you with his speed and his awesome puck protection. In short, they'll have pretty similar careers IMO.

The Fuhr*

Kyle Chipchura said:
Both are very fluid skaters, both are work horses in all three zones, both have very good offensive potential.... Eaves may be more involved in the corners with his physical play, but you can't get much better than Higgins for winning battles in the offensive zone. He'll beat you with his speed and his awesome puck protection. In short, they'll have pretty similar careers IMO.

:handclap: I agree 100% they will both have simulor careers. I like Eaves though dripping with hockey sense.

habfan4

Jul 16, 2002
Deus Amat Pretzel
Visit site
Mike8 said:
I don't think so. One of Higgins' best assets is his deceptive speed. He's one of Montreal's best skaters.

I agree, Higgins has elite level speed.

What's impressed me the most is the maturity he's shown. The kid looks like he's been playing the league for 10 years, he is rarely if ever caught out of position, he back checks like a young Guy Carbonneau and he doesn't take nights off. I'd be just as thrilled with Higgins if he were scoring at half the pace, his offence is a bonus.

Right now, I'd take him over Eaves or Wellwood, which is not a knock on either guy. I think all three will turn out to be fine players, I'm just that high on Higgins at this point.

habsfansam

Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere dark...?
Shabutie said:
That's not true, he's been leading the league in goals since the olympic break, he joined the first line about a month before that.

Looks like you got me... though I don't recall it being as regular as you imply, especially not back in January.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
habsfansam said:
Especially considering that Raging was talking about Simon Gamache earlier... I mean really, HE lead the entire CHL in scoring so he's definitely a better pro than both Higgins and Wellwood! :sarcasm:

What the **** are you talking about? I didn't bring him up. Seeing as how Wellwood has already proven he can score at every single level, where as those players couldn't, how is it a fair comparison? Are you dense?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad