Patrick Eaves vs. Chris Higgins

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Two of the more underated rookies for this year IMO, Higgins has hit the 20 goal mark, while Patrick Eaves should be able to hit it as well (18 goals right now)

I've seen both of these guys at the rookie tournament and this year in the NHL too, both are from US Colleges, and also both play a very similar game...

Both play a physical 2 way game and have shown an ability to play any role on different lines, neither have a tremendous amount of size.

What kind of potential do you see for both of them?

Golden Slumbers

Dec 26, 2005
Ottawa
Sens fans love Eaves' work ethic, and his ability to take punishment in front of the net. A potential top-six forward seems to be the general consensus.

As for Higgins, I haven't seem him play as much this year, but considering he started the season on the fourth line and now plays on the first, he's obviously proven himself. Great skater and likes to shoot high, he could probably be another top-six kind of guy.

Also it's worth noting that Higgins has played in 21 more games than Eaves this year, I'm pretty sure he would have hit 20 by now had he not started the year in Bingo. ;)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I haven't seen Higgins much but what I have seen has been impressive.

As for Eaves:

Eaves' offensive potential outstrips his physical play, although he is definitely fearless when it comes to playing along the boards and in the crease.

He generally takes a beating in every game that he plays, which could put a damper on any future potential if he becomes injury prone.

However, his playmaking and offensive awareness, not to mention his shot, signal to me that he has top 6 forward with solid two-way potential written all over him.

He already complements other players like a veteran, finding a role with any linemates and excelling at it.

What's interesting is that Eaves had a poor training camp and was one of the first sent away from the team. Bochenski was considered the mega-prospect given his production in pre-season. Eaves earned a spot on the roster when injuries developed and by the New Year, could not be sent back down due to his value and ability to play in any role on any line. Bochenski was eventually deemed expendable due to his relatively one-dimensional play.

Ottawa has a number of these interchangeable players (Kelly, Vermette, Eaves, Smolinski) and it provides a lot of options and redundancy.

In terms of his offensive mental game, he is already showing a talent that outstrips players like Schaefer and Fisher, and a work ethic along the lines of Vermette or Alfredsson. To me, that suggests that he will eventually be a better fit on the top 2 lines than a 3rd line type role.

What will be interesting is seeing where players like Vermette and Eaves will be playing next season, given the preponderance of offensive talent already on the Sens roster. On other teams, they might be already playing in the top 6.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
NyQuil said:
I haven't seen Higgins much but what I have seen has been impressive.

As for Eaves:

Eaves' offensive potential outstrips his physical play, although he is definitely fearless when it comes to playing along the boards and in the crease.

He generally takes a beating in every game that he plays, which could put a damper on any future potential if he becomes injury prone.

However, his playmaking and offensive awareness, not to mention his shot, signal to me that he has top 6 forward with solid two-way potential written all over him.

He already complements other players like a veteran, finding a role with any linemates and excelling at it.

What's interesting is that Eaves had a poor training camp and was one of the first sent away from the team. Bochenski was considered the mega-prospect given his production in pre-season. Eaves earned a spot on the roster when injuries developed and by the New Year, could not be sent back down due to his value and ability to play in any role on any line. Bochenski was eventually deemed expendable due to his relatively one-dimensional play.

Ottawa has a number of these interchangeable players (Kelly, Vermette, Eaves, Smolinski) and it provides a lot of options and redundancy.

In terms of his offensive mental game, he is already showing a talent that outstrips players like Schaefer and Fisher, and a work ethic along the lines of Vermette or Alfredsson. To me, that suggests that he will eventually be a better fit on the top 2 lines than a 3rd line type role.

What will be interesting is seeing where players like Vermette and Eaves will be playing next season, given the preponderance of offensive talent already on the Sens roster. On other teams, they might be already playing in the top 6.

You've described Higgins to a tee as well, that's why I found this comparison so interesting, they're so similar it's not funny, only diffence is Higgins might be a bit bigger and Eaves is a right handed shot (which is a hot comodity in the NHL)

Should be interesting to watch them both tonight.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Jay Fresh said:
Sens fans love Eaves' work ethic, and his ability to take punishment in front of the net. A potential top-six forward seems to be the general consensus.

As for Higgins, I haven't seem him play as much this year, but considering he started the season on the fourth line and now plays on the first, he's obviously proven himself. Great skater and likes to shoot high, he could probably be another top-six kind of guy.

Also it's worth noting that Higgins has played in 21 more games than Eaves this year, I'm pretty sure he would have hit 20 by now had he not started the year in Bingo. ;)

Well it's also worth nothing that Higgins only started receiving quality icetime after the Olympic break, where he's proceeded to lead the NHL in goals since then. ;)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
417 TO MTL said:
Well it's also worth nothing that Higgins only started receiving quality icetime after the Olympic break, where he's proceeded to lead the NHL in goals since then. ;)

Well, they average roughly the same ES TOI (~10:00) and PP TOI (~1:30) but Higgins has played a lot more SH (2:18 vs. 0:47). Eaves has only started killing penalties since Fisher went down.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
NyQuil said:
Well, they average roughly the same ES TOI (~10:00) and PP TOI (~1:30) but Higgins has played a lot more SH (2:18 vs. 0:47). Eaves has only started killing penalties since Fisher went down.

Well like I said...prior to the Olympic break, Higgins was used primarily on the 3rd and 4th lines, with no PP time and only PK time...since the Olympic break, Higgins is playing on the 1st line, PP and he's been removed from the PK unit...

The guy has been on an absolute tear since the break...

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
417 TO MTL said:
Well like I said...prior to the Olympic break, Higgins was used primarily on the 3rd and 4th lines, with no PP time and only PK time...since the Olympic break, Higgins is playing on the 1st line, PP and he's been removed from the PK unit...

Eaves was used mostly on the 4th line, with spells with Alfredsson and/or Spezza and Heatley on occasion.

His production doesn't seem to be tied to where he is in the lineup. He's produced fairly consistently regardless of where he is.

Their situations are obviously similar.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Very similiar players, Eaves has a better gpg ration but I think Higgins ppg is slightly better. Eaves is a year younger and they are roughly the same size. One of the best comparisons I have seen on here in a long time.

NewHabsEra*

NyQuil said:
Eaves was used mostly on the 4th line, with spells with Alfredsson and/or Spezza and Heatley on occasion.

His production doesn't seem to be tied to where he is in the lineup. He's produced fairly consistently regardless of where he is.

Their situations are obviously similar.

Eaves has been playing with a way better team for the most part of the season... Habs started to play hockey after the Olympic break..

NewHabsEra*

bert said:
Very similiar players, Eaves has a better gpg ration but I think Higgins ppg is slightly better. Eaves is a year younger and they are roughly the same size. One of the best comparisons I have seen on here in a long time.

agree.. pretty similar...

Another good late round pick for the Sens... Eaves would have gone much earlier if the 2003 draft hadnt been so great... Best draft in NHL history IMO.

AH

Nov 21, 2004
Woodbridge, ON
No way Man.

Wellwood >>> Higgins.

So, if Eaves = Higgins overall, then Wellwood >>> Eaves as well.

Thx for listening.

The Fuhr*

NewHabsArea said:
agree.. pretty similar...

Another good late round pick for the Sens... Eaves would have gone much earlier if the 2003 draft hadnt been so great... Best draft in NHL history IMO.

I remember when he was drafted on TSN the crew was saying Eaves would have been top 5 if not for the injuries. Hes a solid hockey player dripping with hockey sense, Higgins is no slouch himself though.

AH

Nov 21, 2004
Woodbridge, ON
Fuhr86 said:

Why you laughing? What is so funny?

Leaf fans swore by it last year during the lockout since Wellwood had more points than Higgins in the AHL and now has 3 more in the NHL, points he accumulated early in the year.

Shabutie

Jul 26, 2004
Ottawa
Fuhr86 said:
I remember when he was drafted on TSN the crew was saying Eaves would have been top 5 if not for the injuries. Hes a solid hockey player dripping with hockey sense, Higgins is no slouch himself though.
Both have very comparable hockey sens, offensive awarness, work ethic but I'm not so sure about the shot/speed seing as I never really paid that much attention to those when seeing Eaves play. But overall it's a very fair comparison and any team in the NHL could use either of these guys.

The Fuhr*

Raging Bull said:
Yeah, real laughable when he has more points and a better +/- on a worse team.

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Higgens 10:15ES 2:18SH 1:27PP 14:00 ice time per game
Wellwood 9:18ES 0:03SH 3:05PP 12:26 ice time per game

Higgins 5 goals 10 points on PP. 3SH goals. 12 goals 21ES points
Wellwood 3 goals 17 points on PP. 8 goals 21ES points

I dont know about you but Id take the much better two-way player. If Wellwood was so good defensivly with his +/- why is he not getting any PK time.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Fuhr86 said:
I dont know about you but Id take the much better two-way player. If Wellwood was so good defensivly with his +/- why is he not getting any PK time.

I never said he was good defensively, but if Higgins is so great defensively why does he have a worse plus minus on a better team?

Either way, it's not like the difference between the two is so big that it's laughable like you put it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->