Injury Report: Patrick Eaves - Cleared to Play

zombi

I D D Q D
Dec 27, 2010
Michigan
Forward Patrick Eaves, out for more than a year recovering from a concussion, took part in practice, including contact. That's a huge step forward from last season, when he never really even skated with the guys except at the end of practices.

"I'm cleared to go out there and practice," Eaves said. "I can do whatever we do out here. It's more than I was able to do a little while ago. I felt good today. We'll see how tomorrow goes."

Eaves still is not cleared for games, but as he said, "I just have to keep making progress."

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comment...contact?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
That's good news I think. I'd be careful with him this season because we have him next year too and would love for him to be our 4th line winger/13th forward. I think this team has so much potential in the next couple years if Holland makes a couple moves to open up salary and roster space for a couple young guys. That means, Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, Cleary, Emmerton, Mursak, Miller, would be their last year in Detroit. I'd love to throw Tatar and Jarnkrok with Helm on the 3rd line next year and Nyquist up in the top 6. Maybe throw Sheahan in the 4th line center.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Odds of Nyquist wearing a Wings jersey this year get even worse. Greatttttttttt. Good thing we have so many forwards :laugh: Might as well sign Knuble too.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
One of Detroit's best pker's, is on the trash heap?

No, but it necessarily means one of the forwards we have in his spot is going to be put there. If Eaves is back, and he takes someone's spot, where's that other guy go? To the trash heap.

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
As a guy who accumulated 5 concussions in my last 4 years of competitive hockey, i gotta say, im happy to hear hes doing better.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I really think he's the 2nd most valuable player on the bottom 6 when healthy. Great shot, fast, right handed, pk ability. I hope he comes back strong.

Cleary and Samuelsson are taking roster spots, Eaves is not (if he returns to form)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Ah, there was also topic for Eaves.

From another:

What was interesting studying those corsi-statistics. Eaves was our only forward that didn't draw a single penalty at last season. That imo tells about how he avoids contact. Penalties come from contact. He passes the puck away immediately when somebody is near, so those penalties can't happen. Only other player who had zero drawed penalties was Lidström.

I'm also quite sure, that Eaves is done as a penalty killer. Just too big risk there to go block shots and get another hit on the head. So where do we use him? If he doesn't PP or PK, I'd rather use Tootoo always before him, who dosn't PP or PK either, but is that opposite cannonball, gritty, nasty and fights some day.

So let's go forward and start using other guys. LTIR or compliance buyout, either one doesn't affect our cap, I'm fine with those. Too bad it went this way. **** happens. Healthy life after hockey is most important for Eaves.

ford42

Dec 12, 2012
Madison,WI
I think its a good things hes getting healthy to get one more proven NHL caliber guy competeing for a job on the red wings. Position compition is healthy for any team.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Eaves was our only forward that didn't draw a single penalty at last season. That imo tells about how he avoids contact.

He played 10 games. Sample size plays a role. He drew 1.0 per 60 minutes last year. Near identical to Miller, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg. 0.7 the year before. In line with Kronwall, Stuart, Bertuzzi.

Eaves has made a career playing a physical game. He wouldn't last this long in the NHL with scoring alone.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I'm more curious to see how long it takes to clear him for games.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Ah, there was also topic for Eaves.

From another:

What was interesting studying those corsi-statistics. Eaves was our only forward that didn't draw a single penalty at last season. That imo tells about how he avoids contact. Penalties come from contact. He passes the puck away immediately when somebody is near, so those penalties can't happen. Only other player who had zero drawed penalties was Lidström.

I'm also quite sure, that Eaves is done as a penalty killer. Just too big risk there to go block shots and get another hit on the head. So where do we use him? If he doesn't PP or PK, I'd rather use Tootoo always before him, who dosn't PP or PK either, but is that opposite cannonball, gritty, nasty and fights some day.

So let's go forward and start using other guys. LTIR or compliance buyout, either one doesn't affect our cap, I'm fine with those. Too bad it went this way. **** happens. Healthy life after hockey is most important for Eaves.

If Eaves is done as a penaltykiller(I don't think so though), he's done with the team and maybe even league. Babcock always relied heavily on him, generally as the second guy behind Helm.

The problem is he's been out for so long. Could he regain his status from before the injury, I'd be pleased of having him around as an extra forward for the remainder of the deal.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Glad to hear Eaves is getting better. Just a couple weeks back Ansar Kahn typed up how Eaves was still having headaches. Now my favorite bottom sixer on the Wings is back to being able to at least skate with the team.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
He could be a useful guy to have around if he's completely healthy, but I don't think the Wings are going to rush him back into games as they have 37 other forwards on the depth chart already. Always liked him as a player and hope for his sake that he comes back a) completely 100% healthy and b) can resume a productive NHL career somewhere.

All the information coming out on concussions and head injuries in sports is pretty scary stuff, and Eaves' concussion will be in the back of my mind every time I see him take a hit up high. I hope he's smart enough to tell Babcock to not put him on the ice with Sammy at any point during practice or games.

crashman

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
By reading alot of people's posts on here about Nyquist and Tatar and Mursak and Emmerton

I have to imagine Emmerton will be waived or traded.

In either case we have ALOT of forwards that I honestly do not care if they play that well.

Lets pretend Bertuzzi has a 50 pts season
So does Sammy.

Cleary has a 40 pts season
Eaves has a 30 pt season

Are we now top contenders to win a stanley cup?

I think more importantly is how well Franzen/Flip play
How well does Brunner play? Can Nyquist make the team in convincing fashion (i.e. he gets 30-40 pts and begins to look like our old buddy flip or god forbid dats first year)

It is these second options which make us a stanley cup contender.

Also the way we are signing old men, and screwing the young kids HURTS our trading possibilities.

Instead of having kids that underperformed at the NHL level, we have kids that have NO NHL experience making it seem as though they do not belong in the NHL. Thus their trade value is roughly zero.

If we trade emmerton, what do you expect back???. I expect NOTHING, we will just waive him, so he can play for the islanders

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad