Confirmed with Link: Patrice Bergeron Nominated for Masterton Trophy

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Don't understand how it isn't Seids. Major knee surgery, comes back and plays every game so far.

EDIT: Loui would be a good choice as well. Two concussion, comes back the following season to score 20+ and play a solid all around game.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Don't understand how it isn't Seids. Major knee surgery, comes back and plays every game so far.

I'm willing to bet that some writers who voted on the award didn't bother to think about who should be nominated.

I'm interested to hear their explanation as to why it was Bergy and not guys like Loui, Seids or even Krug.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
The Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy is awarded annually to the National Hockey League player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to ice hockey

Not sure how he wouldn't qualify?

It's kind of turned into the "comeback from a bad injury" trophy though.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
The award can be given on three separate criteria:

Perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.

I think folks are getting too hung up on the "perseverance" criteria.....probably because almost every recent winner has gotten it due to persevering something huge health-wise, but few of the earlier winners won on that criteria. Many were nominated for and won due to the other two categories, which I don't think anyone here would say don't apply 100% to Bergy.

edit - Patty beat me by a minute.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
The Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy is awarded annually to the National Hockey League player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to ice hockey

Not sure how he wouldn't qualify?

It's kind of turned into the "comeback from a bad injury" trophy though.

There are more worthy candidates this season, 2 of whom have been media punching bags for the majority of it. Voting for Bergy is simply too easy especially because of this down year.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Seids would have been a better pick, but the Masterton is dedicated to the player "best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to ice hockey".

Perseverance is a huge part of it, but you can't say Bergy hasn't shown sportsmanship and an extreme dedication to hockey every single year he's played. He's one of the toughest players in the league, if not the toughest. Perhaps Eriksson/Seids would have made more sense but none of them will get close to winning, anyway

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
There are more worthy candidates this season, 2 of whom have been media punching bags for the majority of it. Voting for Bergy is simply too easy especially because of this down year.

Eriksson and Seidenberg? I could see that too, but I don't think voting Bergeron is a lazy choice at all.

Hell, you could even make a case for Chara.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Eriksson and Seidenberg? I could see that too, but I don't think voting Bergeron is a lazy choice at all.

Hell, you could even make a case for Chara.

No, I want Chara for Lady Byng - that is why he keeps his slapshot holstered, rite? :sarcasm:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I'm willing to bet that some writers who voted on the award didn't bother to think about who should be nominated.

I'm interested to hear their explanation as to why it was Bergy and not guys like Loui, Seids or even Krug.

It'd be weird to hand any sort of award to Seidenberg this year given his horrid play, despite coming back from a major injury.

And yes, I am with you on the writers not even thinking about the award...just going with the "sexy" pick. I almost wouldn't be surprised if Chara got nominated for another Norris this season.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->