Player Discussion Patrice Bergeron III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Bergeron since entering the 2015-2016 season as a 30 year old

319 points in his last 349 games ( .91 PPG )

57.8 at the dot

+91

2 Selkes ( also two third place and one 2nd place finish )

Like fine wine.
Since Cassidy took over (RS + Playoffs), he's at:

259 points in his last 258 games

57.8 at the dot

+99

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Bergeron since entering the 2015-2016 season as a 30 year old

319 points in his last 349 games ( .91 PPG )

57.8 at the dot

+91

2 Selkes ( also two third place and one 2nd place finish )

Like fine wine.

An excellent vintage to be sure. One of the few benefits of this horrible pandemic and season suspension may be that Bergy has been able to get a lot of rest which should be particularly useful for his troublesome groin. There will be risk for all players when they return to training and play of injuries due to lack of adequate prep and conditioning, but otherwise this enforced break should hold Bergy in good stead for the return to action, whether that's in a playoffs or a whole new season.

Reactions: TCB and PB37

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
EW4gF5PVAAE_N7D

Classic Bergeron. "Decent" in battles and fails lots.

Reactions: Lobster57

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
EW4gF5PVAAE_N7D

Love it. One of the things i've really noticed about Bergy in the last couple season (he's probably always done it and i just never noticed) is that he's amazing a QUICKLY knocking the puck loose along the boards. There will be a 1-on-1 battle and he'll swing in as the 3rd guy and in one attempt the puck pops loose. he doesn't often get tied up in the scrum. So while he may only be "decent" in actual battles he's amazing and achieving the same result as a "won" battle, while skipping the actual battle

Reactions: Trap Jesus

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Love it. One of the things i've really noticed about Bergy in the last couple season (he's probably always done it and i just never noticed) is that he's amazing a QUICKLY knocking the puck loose along the boards. There will be a 1-on-1 battle and he'll swing in as the 3rd guy and in one attempt the puck pops loose. he doesn't often get tied up in the scrum. So while he may only be "decent" in actual battles he's amazing and achieving the same result as a "won" battle, while skipping the actual battle
Oh yeah, I don't think his defensive stick is anything sensational, he's not like a Datsyuk or Stone for that. He's very much a sum of its parts defensive player, just a constant disruption. I guess it's what you count as a puck battle. There's a 20+ second sequence against Couturier where he's constantly disputing his cycle to Lindblom, at one point he chips it to space but the Flyers get it back, then he blocks a pass which goes to Konecny, and he forces him out. Not a clean strip and go, but hard work and persistence to get the job done.

That being said, he's still so involved that he's winning those battles regularly. The first clip is 1st period of game 1 of the regular season. Jamie Benn is pinning the puck against the boards in the Bruins zone in the corner and being the horse that he is has it pinned under his skate for like 10/15 seconds angling McAvoy off with his body, while Bergeron is going crazy at it with his stick in support like it's Game 7 OT. Meanwhile Pavelski floats in and gives Bergeron a cross check while he's doing that and Bergeron responds by lifting his stick and pushing him off him so he can be the first one on it. Benn sees an opportunity to cycle it around with his skate and gives a little kick, while Bergeron in a split second kicks the puck that was loose for a millisecond back into Benn's skate to bounce right to his stick and immediately chips it to space for Chara to pick up easily. It was one really fluid motion that he did it in as well.

EV-CUi-X0AAFtxJ

The ones I know that average more per game:

Kopitar, Danault, Couturier, Barkov, O'Reilly

They also all get more ice time as well though.

Last edited:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
From Friedman's 31 Thoughts today:

26) Tampa Bay coach Jon Cooper had an excellent story about Patrice Bergeron from last year’s NHL awards show. Both teams had painful endings, the Lightning in the first round, the Bruins in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final. “We’re all in the green room before we’re going to talk to the media,” Cooper said. “The season had just ended for him a couple of days earlier. He went out of his way to come over to me, genuine handshake, look in my eye, and say, ‘Hey how are you doing, are you ok?’ (Then) a second, ‘No seriously, are you okay?’ What a class act. Then I looked at him and said, ‘Are you okay?’ Then we had to sit there and have a small discussion about what was worse, the way we went out or the way they went out? I’ve been to the Cup final (2015), and boy is it an empty feeling when you are so close to tasting it and having it taken out of your hands.”

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

26) Tampa Bay coach Jon Cooper had an excellent story about Patrice Bergeron from last year’s NHL awards show. Both teams had painful endings, the Lightning in the first round, the Bruins in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final. “We’re all in the green room before we’re going to talk to the media,” Cooper said. “The season had just ended for him a couple of days earlier. He went out of his way to come over to me, genuine handshake, look in my eye, and say, ‘Hey how are you doing, are you ok?’ (Then) a second, ‘No seriously, are you okay?’ What a class act. Then I looked at him and said, ‘Are you okay?’ Then we had to sit there and have a small discussion about what was worse, the way we went out or the way they went out? I’ve been to the Cup final (2015), and boy is it an empty feeling when you are so close to tasting it and having it taken out of your hands.”
GOAT.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

That’s a great story

If the Bruins the last 13 years were Montreal and he was on that team I can’t imagine how popular he would be

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
How long do you guys think Bergeron can play at a high level before his game/stamina tapers off?

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
That’s a great story

If the Bruins the last 13 years were Montreal and he was on that team I can’t imagine how popular he would be

Bergeron hates the Habs so much, he would pull a Lindros and never show up to camp.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
EW4gF5PVAAE_N7D

It's ridiculous how after 17 years, 4 Selkes and all the other accolades Bergeron continues to frequently be underrated. Even at 34, with an enormous amount of playing mileage racked up and a chronic groin problem, he still just put together a season in which he was one of the top 3 two-way forwards in the game. He's just not flashy or overtly amazing at any one aspect so I feel like a lot of the little things he does and which make him such a complete player continue to elude people.

It's hard to argue on something like zone exits without really poring through footage, but I've never identifed it as a weakness in his game and the guy has an uncanny ability to find teammates on break-outs with deft passes. An I missing something? I'd also dispute how you can be rated excellent on D but below average on exits - isn't the latter an integral part of the former?

Reactions: Trap Jesus

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It's ridiculous how after 17 years, 4 Selkes and all the other accolades Bergeron continues to frequently be underrated. Even at 34, with an enormous amount of playing mileage racked up and a chronic groin problem, he still just put together a season in which he was one of the top 3 two-way forwards in the game. He's just not flashy or overtly amazing at any one aspect so I feel like a lot of the little things he does and which make him such a complete player continue to elude people.

It's hard to argue on something like zone exits without really poring through footage, but I've never identifed it as a weakness in his game and the guy has an uncanny ability to find teammates on break-outs with deft passes. An I missing something? I'd also dispute how you can be rated excellent on D but below average on exits - isn't the latter an integral part of the former?
It's not a weakness at all. I think they may be looking at it as micro-stats where he'll be chipping it loose or up the boards without technically changing possession, but in the whole scope of things with his pursuit of the puck he's absurdly effective in getting it out. There are so many clips like that that will be in the highlight compilation.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
38 I'd say he'd still be a 50-60 point guy, and eventually being a damn solid 3rd line 35-40 point guy into 40.
probably pretty accurate. The B's will need to find the guy to be their 1C of the future though, just to take some of the weight off Bergy

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Most playoff goals scored in either the 3rd period or OT that tied the game, or put their team ahead. Stats since 1979/80. Cool to see Bergeron tied with Neely as the top Bruin.

RankPlayerGoals
1Brett Hull20
2Joe Sakic19
3Jaromir Jagr18
4Claude Lemieux17
T-5Bobby Smith15
T-5Glenn Anderson15
7Dale Hunter13
T-8Daniel Briere12
T-8Esa Tikkanen12
T-8Jeremy Roenick12
T-8Mike Modano12
T-8PATRICK KANE12
T-13Cam Neely11
T-13JOE PAVELSKI11
T-13Luc Robitaille11
T-13NICKLAS BACKSTROM11
T-13PATRICE BERGERON11
T-13Steve Thomas11
T-13Vincent Damphousse11
T-20ALEX OVECHKIN10
T-20Chris Drury10
T-20COREY PERRY10
T-20Doug Gilmour10
T-20MARIAN GABORIK10
T-20Mark Messier10
T-20PATRICK MARLEAU10
T-20Russ Courtnall10
T-20Wayne Gretzky10
T-29Brian Propp9
T-29Dave Andreychuk9
T-29Jamie Langenbrunner9
T-29Jari Kurri9
T-29Joe Murphy9
T-29JONATHAN TOEWS9
T-29Martin St. Louis9
T-29Mats Naslund9
T-29Rod Brind'Amour9
T-29Sergei Fedorov9
T-29Stephane Richer9
T-29Stu Barnes9
T-41Alex Kovalev8
T-41Brian Bellows8
T-41Guy Carbonneau8
T-41John LeClair8
T-41LOGAN COUTURE8
T-41Mark Recchi8
T-41Mats Sundin8
T-41Petr Sykora8
T-41Rick Tocchet8
T-41Steve Payne8
T-41Teemu Selanne8
T-41ZACH PARISE8
T-53BOBBY RYAN7
T-53Brendan Shanahan7
T-53Bryan Trottier7
T-53Dino Ciccarelli7
T-53EVGENI MALKIN7
T-53Henrik Zetterberg7
T-53Joe Mullen7
T-53Joel Ward7
T-53JUSTIN WILLIAMS7
T-53Kirk Muller7
T-53Martin Havlat7
T-53Matt Cooke7
T-53NICK BONINO7
T-53Ron Francis7
T-53Scott Gomez7
T-53Scott Niedermayer7
T-53Trevor Linden7
T-53Vyacheslav Kozlov7
T-53Wendel Clark7
T-72Al MacInnis6
T-72Bernie Federko6
T-72Brad Richards6
T-72BRANDON DUBINSKY6
T-72BRENT SEABROOK6
T-72Daniel Alfredsson6
T-72Dave Babych6
T-72Dave Poulin6
T-72FILIP FORSBERG6
T-72JADEN SCHWARTZ6
T-72JAKE GUENTZEL6
T-72Jere Lehtinen6
T-72John Tonelli6
T-72JORDAN STAAL6
T-72Ken Linseman6
T-72Kevin Stevens6
T-72Kris Draper6
T-72Mike Gartner6
T-72MILAN LUCIC6
T-72Nicklas Lidstrom6
T-72Paul Coffey6
T-72Pavel Datsyuk6
T-72Peter Stastny6
T-72Ray Bourque6
T-72RYAN KESLER6
T-72SIDNEY CROSBY6
T-72Simon Gagne6
T-72Steve Larmer6
T-72Steve Yzerman6
T-72TOMAS HERTL6
T-72TYLER JOHNSON6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
So this even surprised me when I was looking at the numbers. while having a discussion with someone about elite goal scorers, I set the bar at averaging 40+ goals a season. Since 2017 there were 8 players that have a G/GP that puts them at a 40+ goal pace over 82 games.

Alex Ovechkin
Auston Matthews
David Pastrnak
Connor McDavid
Leon Draisaitl
Nathan MacKinnon
Nikita Kucherov
Patrice Bergeron

Yes, Patrice Bergeron made the list right at the 40 goal mark, tied with Kucherov. I don't think any of us here would consider him an elite goal scorer, but his G/GP puts him in the top 2% of goal scorers over the last 3 seasons.

giphy.gif

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
So this even surprised me when I was looking at the numbers. while having a discussion with someone about elite goal scorers, I set the bar at averaging 40+ goals a season. Since 2017 there were 8 players that have a G/GP that puts them at a 40+ goal pace over 82 games.

Alex Ovechkin
Auston Matthews
David Pastrnak
Connor McDavid
Leon Draisaitl
Nathan MacKinnon
Nikita Kucherov
Patrice Bergeron

Yes, Patrice Bergeron made the list right at the 40 goal mark, tied with Kucherov. I don't think any of us here would consider him an elite goal scorer, but his G/GP puts him in the top 2% of goal scorers over the last 3 seasons.

giphy.gif
He's also the oldest player of that bunch, by a significant margin over everybody except for Ovechkin

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad