Player Discussion Patrice Bergeron III

Discussion in 'Boston Bruins' started by Fenway, Feb 28, 2019.

1. ODAAT

ODAAT Registered User

Restaurant Biz
    The kid got a dose of what playoff hockey is like and while he was terrific in the first few rounds, he quickly found out how tiny the ice gets as the boys move along in the playoffs

2. rielledup

rielledup Registered User

Leaf fan here, I'm curious about how Bergerons offensive numbers all of a sudden exploded when he was past 30, very unusual. He went from a 50-60 point player to an above a ppg player the last two years, and he is still being nominated for selkes so it doesn't appear to be because he is sacrificing defense more than he used to.

3. Banded Peak

Banded Peak Registered User

Clode.

Krupp likes this.
  4. CDJ

CDJ Registered User

People forget he was a 70 point 20 yr old before randy jones was a piece of ****. He’s always had the skill, he just had to remodel his game coming back from the concussion as he wasn’t quite the same upon his return.

It’s seems like he basically dedicated his time to becoming the best defensive center in hockey and then once he accomplished that he pivoted to turning up the offense. Remarkable career, pretty incredible that he’s peaking this late into it

The chemistry with and sudden explosion of Marchand also helped. Also probably Claude.

5. UncleRico

UncleRico Registered User

Close Julien and he has better linemates now. Also seeing more powerplay time than earlier in his career.

6. JoeIsAStud

JoeIsAStud Registered User

Home Page:
    I think the jump you are seeing is largely due to having the best linemates of his career. Honestly the real outlier is the 2016/2017 season where Pasta and Marchand flew high and Bergeron had a rough year, because he played through a hernia for the entire season

RoccoF14 likes this.
  7. CDJ

CDJ Registered User

Remember when he was on the point during the PP

fun times lol

8. PB37

PB37 Mr Selke

Scored 16 goals/17 goals there one year, playing the Pasta role on the PP ( one timer, high slot ).

TwineTickler likes this.
  9. CDJ

CDJ Registered User

I’m mostly referring to what they were doing with him post-Randy Jones and he was scoring ~4 pp goals a year. I certainly like Him where he’s at a lot more now

He potted 14 when he was 21 and that’s his career high for power play goals in a season. That’s another thing people forget about him- how gifted offensively he was before the concussion. This is the offensive player I was expecting to see him develop into before Randy Jones- the only difference is that he’s the best defensive forward in the world now lol. Wouldn’t have had it go any other way. What a perfect player

10. Jean_Jacket41

Jean_Jacket41 Neely = HOF

I drafted Bergeron in my keeper pool in his rookie year.

Have the same last name and from Québec city.

Played against his brother. Same intensity.

1st in a playoffs pool for a Quebec charity this year. 1st prize? A Bergeron signed jersey.

Bruins the better team from the net out to Bergy the best F in the final.

He’ll win his 2nd Cup. I’ll win my 2nd Bergeron Jersey. And we’ll all have a very happy summer.

2011 like.

11. Rubber Biscuit

Rubber Biscuit Registered User

More ice time and way more favorable zone starts. During Claude's last full season, he was starting in the offensive zone just 46% of the time. The last 3 seasons he's been at 54.7%, 59.4% and 58.8%

He always had the offensive talent (see back to back 70 point seasons pre-concussion). He's being put in a position to utilize that talent now more than ever

12. Bruinaura

Bruinaura Registered User

Patrice Bergeron has always been the perfect fit in Boston

The dedication manifests in many ways. The most famous example occurred during Boston’s last Stanley Cup final appearance in 2013, when Bergeron tore some rib cartilage in Game 4 and broke a rib in Game 5 before separating his right shoulder and suffering a punctured lung in Game 6 as the Bruins fell to Chicago. Even crazier? “I never got a phone call,” says agent Kent Hughes, who only learned the true extent of his client’s injuries once Bergeron emerged from the home locker room at TD Garden after the Blackhawks clinched and said, far too matter-of-factly for the circumstances, “I’ve got to go to the hospital.”

In 2013, Bergeron and Hughes entered contract negotiations with the Bruins for what became an eight-year, max-term extension. At the time Hughes projected that Bergeron could fetch upwards of $9 million on the open market, comparing him to fellow two-way dynamos Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf, both of whom had recently re-signed with Anaheim for annual cap hits above $8 million. “And he said, ‘We’ll never win at that number,’” Hughes recalls. “I said, ‘If you take this, you don’t stop other people from taking more, you know that, right?’
    “He said, ‘I know. I can’t control that, I can just do my part.’”

The couple also recently built a new house, in which Bergeron designed a basement big enough to accommodate a live-in guest. Once the kids are a little older, he dreams of hosting a young Bruins player like Lapointe did for him, paying it forward helping the new guy learn how to make Boston home.

13. N o o d l e s

N o o d l e s Registered User

How lucky are we to have leaders like Bergeron and Brady in this city, seriously?

14. RoccoF14

RoccoF14 Registered User

Commercial Real Estate
    Don't want to take away from #37's accomplishments in the least, but having #63 and #88 as your wings over the past 2 seasons has something to do with it as well.....Line mates do matter.

I'd say that's a bit of a step up from the 2011 Bergeron who was paired with a young Marchand and Recchi.....

15. Rubber Biscuit

I don’t know if I’ll ever really love an athlete more than Ray Bourque but Bergy has gotten about as close as possible on my list of favorites. We don’t deserve him.

I was lucky enough to meet him and get a picture with him during his rookie year back when the Bruins ran the Wives’ Carnival. I was a little kid. I had no idea who he was and could certainly never imagine just how far he would come.

He’s just an all around incredible human being

Attached Files:

16. Bruinaura

I hope you still have that jersey!

Rubber Biscuit likes this.
  17. Rubber Biscuit

Sure do!

Bruinaura likes this.
  18. Alicat

Alicat HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

I love Patrick Cleary

19. Bruinguru

Bruinguru Registered User

Bourque has been my favorite player since he was a rookie and I was about 8. Never thought anybody could take that spot. But it's really, really, really, close...

20. The National

The National Registered User Sponsor

Love seeing Patrice’s adjustments throughout a series. He sees where he has an opportunity to get the upper hand on his opponent and tweaks his game to do so. Especially at the dot.

Chief Nine likes this.
  21. Gordon Lightfoot

Gordon Lightfoot M. Night Shulman? Sponsor

My 2nd all-time favorite player after Bryan Trottier. My trio goes:

Trottier
    Bergeron
    Forsberg

22. TwineTickler

TwineTickler TheUltimateBruin

Hoping him and his line make some adjustments tonight. Going up 2-0 with the 1st line waking up and doing damage is what I'm looking for.

DuncanDonut likes this.
  23. Trap Jesus

Trap Jesus Registered User

Except he kind of did. I know Krejci and Rask took bigger contracts but only slightly. And then you have Pasta and Marchand taking less. Does anyone think it's a coincidence that Marchand took a dollar figure that mirrors Bergeron's like 37 + 63 = 100, when he signed his $6.125 million cap hit that mirrored Bergeron's $6. 875 million cap hit? Because I don't.

24. Trap Jesus

Trap Jesus Registered User

Yeah, he showed bigtime adjustments at the dot in all the other series. He started off really well at the dot this series though, both overall and vs. his best competition in O'Reilly.

The National likes this.
  25. Bruinaura

No coincidence. Just evidence of a team first mindset, and from more than just Bergeron. But he essentially set the bar.