Player Discussion Patrice Bergeron III

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Patrice Bergeron has always been the perfect fit in Boston

The dedication manifests in many ways. The most famous example occurred during Boston’s last Stanley Cup final appearance in 2013, when Bergeron tore some rib cartilage in Game 4 and broke a rib in Game 5 before separating his right shoulder and suffering a punctured lung in Game 6 as the Bruins fell to Chicago. Even crazier? “I never got a phone call,” says agent Kent Hughes, who only learned the true extent of his client’s injuries once Bergeron emerged from the home locker room at TD Garden after the Blackhawks clinched and said, far too matter-of-factly for the circumstances, “I’ve got to go to the hospital.”

In 2013, Bergeron and Hughes entered contract negotiations with the Bruins for what became an eight-year, max-term extension. At the time Hughes projected that Bergeron could fetch upwards of $9 million on the open market, comparing him to fellow two-way dynamos Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf, both of whom had recently re-signed with Anaheim for annual cap hits above $8 million. “And he said, ‘We’ll never win at that number,’” Hughes recalls. “I said, ‘If you take this, you don’t stop other people from taking more, you know that, right?’
“He said, ‘I know. I can’t control that, I can just do my part.’”

The couple also recently built a new house, in which Bergeron designed a basement big enough to accommodate a live-in guest. Once the kids are a little older, he dreams of hosting a young Bruins player like Lapointe did for him, paying it forward helping the new guy learn how to make Boston home.

Awesome article. The piece about the contract is HUGE. Tells you all you need to know about the guy.... and Pastas comment at media day "i don't play hockey for money man" and Marching saying he followed suit leaving money on the table. That's just awesome. That's how you win and truly form a cohesive locker room. Everyone pulling the rope.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Don't want to take away from #37's accomplishments in the least, but having #63 and #88 as your wings over the past 2 seasons has something to do with it as well.....Line mates do matter.

I'd say that's a bit of a step up from the 2011 Bergeron who was paired with a young Marchand and Recchi.....

Yup. There was a time #46 centered "the first line" for this team. Krejci, Lucic, Horton back in what, 2011-2013-ish time frame.

This year, game 1 of the playoffs saw Krejci centering Debrusk and (I think) Kuhlman.

Really impressed with Krejci's all around play this season.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
CBC showed him doing a sprint up the ice warming up before OT then slamming his stick on his thighs frustrated. Looks like something is actually up with him.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
He’s playing solid game but lacking a step - the struggles of that line lay at the feet of his wings through the first two games. Pasta with the horrendous gift in game one and Marchand giving up the 2-1 that lead to the goal last night are the most glaring examples.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
He’s playing solid game but lacking a step - the struggles of that line lay at the feet of his wings through the first two games. Pasta with the horrendous gift in game one and Marchand giving up the 2-1 that lead to the goal last night are the most glaring examples.
Been completely neutralized and forced into bad decisions to try to do anything. Columbus did it too,for awhile.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Obviously something has been going on with Bergeron all through the Finals, but with nothing left to wait for, I have a feeling that he will do whatever it takes to get himself ready for one last night. Game 7. Shoot up his shoulder, or knee, or ribs, or whatever it might be, get to 90%, or feeling no pain, and go write another chapter in his legend.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Man, I love me some Bergeron but this series is a black mark on his legacy. Hopefully injury news comes out and gives him an excuse.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Completely invisible this series, unfortunately... He must have been fighting through something really bad. Of all the guys on our team, he's not the one who would put up a performance like that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad