Player Discussion Patrice Bergeron II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Someday, I will tell the youth of that time that yes, not only was I blessed to be able to watch Tom Brady play live, but I also got to watch Patrice Bergeron's entire career with the Boston Bruins. What a man, what a player. The best part is that he's not done.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Someday, I will tell the youth of that time that yes, not only was I blessed to be able to watch Tom Brady play live, but I also got to watch Patrice Bergeron's entire career with the Boston Bruins. What a man, what a player. The best part is that he's not done.
I wonder if Brady will be at the game Tuesday.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Bruins’ Patrice Bergeron a player for the ages – Boston Herald

His enduring collaboration with left wing Brad Marchand helped him get back to the 30-goal plateau three times and it gave Marchand, already a driven athlete because of his lack of size, a blueprint on how to be a pro.

“You almost feel like you let him down when you don’t carry your weight every single night,” said Marchand. “I can honestly say I wouldn’t be the same player if I wasn’t given the opportunity play alongside of him.”

Courage is also part of the Bergeron legacy. While he’s been careful with head injuries since the traumatic hit in ’07 — he’s suffered at least three more since then — his toughness cannot be questioned. The laundry list of injuries through which he played in the 2013 Cup finals — torn rib cartilage, a broken rib, separated shoulder and punctured lung — is now legend, but it only scratches the surface, says Marchand.

He pointed to the injury he suffered in the second period in Dallas last November when Bergeron was rammed into the boards hard by the Stars’ Radek Faksa. The injury he suffered would keep him out a month — but not until he played the third period.
The club described it as a “rib and sternoclavicular injury” in a press release, but Marchand used layman’s terms.

“Essentially, his whole body was broken, the whole upper half. And he still came back to play,” marveled Marchand. “It’s incredible what he’s willing to sacrifice for the group.”

I mean, I guess it's not like he hasn't broken his entire upper body before, but good grief o_O

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Bergeron is my 2nd all time favourite bruin. So good in every aspect of the game and outside the game. A true professional that has made the bruin organization so much better. Who was it that recommended him to be drafted?

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Bergeron is my 2nd all time favourite bruin. So good in every aspect of the game and outside the game. A true professional that has made the bruin organization so much better. Who was it that recommended him to be drafted?
From Joe McDonald's article:
Mike O’Connell: It was a long time ago (laughs). Of course, you never know what you’re going to get. You have ideas, but Patrice was high on our list right from the get-go. I have to give credit to three important people drafting him – Jeff Gorton, Daniel Doré and Nikolai Bobrov. They were the three that probably saw him the most and they had recommended him for the first round. We thought we would have a chance at the second round, just based on he was injured during his junior year, so there wasn’t as many showings, but those three really pushed for him hard. You rely on your scouts, and rely on the people you trust.

Reactions: Sevendust

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Bruins’ Patrice Bergeron a player for the ages – Boston Herald

His enduring collaboration with left wing Brad Marchand helped him get back to the 30-goal plateau three times and it gave Marchand, already a driven athlete because of his lack of size, a blueprint on how to be a pro.

“You almost feel like you let him down when you don’t carry your weight every single night,” said Marchand. “I can honestly say I wouldn’t be the same player if I wasn’t given the opportunity play alongside of him.”

Courage is also part of the Bergeron legacy. While he’s been careful with head injuries since the traumatic hit in ’07 — he’s suffered at least three more since then — his toughness cannot be questioned. The laundry list of injuries through which he played in the 2013 Cup finals — torn rib cartilage, a broken rib, separated shoulder and punctured lung — is now legend, but it only scratches the surface, says Marchand.

He pointed to the injury he suffered in the second period in Dallas last November when Bergeron was rammed into the boards hard by the Stars’ Radek Faksa. The injury he suffered would keep him out a month — but not until he played the third period.
The club described it as a “rib and sternoclavicular injury” in a press release, but Marchand used layman’s terms.

“Essentially, his whole body was broken, the whole upper half. And he still came back to play,” marveled Marchand. “It’s incredible what he’s willing to sacrifice for the group.”

I mean, I guess it's not like he hasn't broken his entire upper body before, but good grief o_O

His pain tolerance must be absolutely incredible, to play through some of the things he's played through. I'm sure no one in the NHL is a wimp, but my god, Bergeron is amazing

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Bergeron is my all time favourite Bruin. The perfect player really. Can’t beleive it’s been a 1000 games.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
That's a hell of a way to have your 1000th game.

Also, let's give a tip of the cap to Marty Lapointe. He took 18 yr old Bergeron under his wing and taught him to be a professional. He also let Bergeron stay in his house for a while.

Lastly...let's look back at his 1st endorsement deal

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Congrats to Bergy on a great 1,000th! That game epitomized a lot about what Bergy means to the team. Two goals, massive respect shown by Pasta in letting Bergy get an open net goal, and a massive bear hug from Z after the game. Perfect Bruin.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Maybe my all-time favourite athlete, he's neck-and-neck-and-neck with Cam and John Stockton. He should be a lock for the HOF, but imagine if he hadn't lost 2 1/2 seasons, basically 1 to the concussion, and 1.5 to lockouts. He'd be at almost 1200 GP and over 900pts

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Somebody please tell me there will be a way to watch that NESN documentary online. Please, please, pretty please??

uetToBcxTS9bi.gif

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
1000 games, damn where does the time go?

crazy to think he'd have even more if not for all the injuries over the years.

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
Has been my favourite player for a long time now. For years he was under-appreciated by the media. I feel like in recent years he is finally getting his due. I don't know how he'll stack up in the Selke race this year, but I really want him to win it one more time. He truly is the greatest defensive hockey player of all time, and once he's earned a record 6th Selke, it will be damn hard for anyone to deny that claim.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Has been my favourite player for a long time now. For years he was under-appreciated by the media. I feel like in recent years he is finally getting his due. I don't know how he'll stack up in the Selke race this year, but I really want him to win it one more time. He truly is the greatest defensive hockey player of all time, and once he's earned a record 6th Selke, it will be damn hard for anyone to deny that claim.

Midseason winner by the professional hockey writers association, his usual competition are mostly on non-playoff teams and having sub par years, while Bergeron is absolutely killing it this year. Think he has it, hope so anyway.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
In my mind, he's already earned six, but the voters had a couple stupid years. :sarcasm:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Midseason winner by the professional hockey writers association, his usual competition are mostly on non-playoff teams and having sub par years, while Bergeron is absolutely killing it this year. Think he has it, hope so anyway.

I think his performance in several nationally televised games, especially the Winter Classic, really elevated his stock in the voters eyes. I think it reminded them that despite time missed, Bergeron is still the cream of the crop.

Reactions: Emerz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad