Player Discussion Patrice Bergeron II

Status
Not open for further replies.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
He and Dustin Brown are effectively tied. Bergy debuted one day before Brown did.

Thanks. Forgot about him.
With a bunch of those guys either retiring, changing teams, or starting a bit later I couldn't think of anyone.
Pretty cool for D. Brown also.

There's probably a bunch that started 2-3 years later like Ovy, Sid, Malkin, Keith, Seabrook, Getzlaf, Perry,

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Too lazy to look up numbers to back me up but it seems the PP has been doing alright lately with him gone.

In spite of that, I really do miss him in the bumper position. The PP seems to lack the smoothness that comes from his mastery of that position on the power play. I keep seeing Marchand or Pasta sending passes to the center and it not being handled while Bergy probably would've cranked that for a goal.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Toews, Kopitar, Kane, Tarasenko, Stamkos, Ovie, Backstrom, Lundvist, Giroux

So no...
You don't read to well do you. It said first game with the same team longest ago. Toews first game was October 10, 2007, Ovie's first game was 5 October 2005, Kopitar's was 6 October 2006, Kane's was October 4, 2007, Tarasenko's was 19 January 2013, Stamkos was October 4, 2008, Backstrom's was 5 October 2007, Giroux's was February 19, 2008, and Lundqvist was 8 October 2005. By comparison Bergeron's was October 8, 2003. The closest you listed played 2 years later and one of them was almost a decade later.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
intresting question... I took a look at the career games played leader board and eliminated all the active players from the list...

looks like its dustin brown and Patrice Bergeron... brown has played a lot more games but I guess Bergeron got started sooner.

it has always felt to me that Bergeron should be mr bruin. a great heir to the title if oreilly is going to give it up. this is someone that has to end up retiring a bruin and play his entire career for us.

id probably name him co-captain with chara starting next season too. similar to when I think it was bourque we named co-captain before middleton officially retired? not sure I got the right 2 guys... but when I was a kid we had a vetern that was going to be around 1-2 years and a kid... and they wanted the kid to get the C so they just decided to share it.

its overdue for Bergeron to get the C on his jersey

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
This is why Bergeron should be the next captain once Chara hangs up his skates

Bergeron is not concerned about where he will fit into the lineup when he returns, saying he will play anywhere with anyone.
"I'm just gonna try to be myself. That's the bottom line. I don't care. I've said that before," said Bergeron. "We're a team and you want to contribute and wherever you're thrown back in, you try to make the most of it.
"We have great players, whether it's with Marchy or Pasta or whether it's with Heino or JD or [Joakim Nordstrom] or whoever it is, it's OK by me. I'm not going to be the guy complaining."

Reactions: 00BW

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

So no...

see people responded.
I can't think of anyone besides Brown. But it feels like I'm missing someone.
Even guys like Seabrook, Keith, Getzlaf, Perry, all started post lockout.

edit: Kronwall. but I think he was a call-up later that season - while M. Koivu was drafted in '01 he never started until after the lock-out.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

So no...
None of those players have been with their club as long as Bergy has been with the Bruins. Stamkos? Like a five year difference.

Matter of fact. It was a good question......and the answer appesrs to be, Yes.........no player in the league has been with his club as long as Bergy has been aBruin. Dustin Brown close second.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
see people responded.
I can't think of anyone besides Brown. But it feels like I'm missing someone.
Even guys like Seabrook, Keith, Getzlaf, Perry, all started post lockout.

edit: Kronwall. but I think he was a call-up later that season - while M. Koivu was drafted in '01 he never started until after the lock-out.

I am surprised by that too. But i cant think of anyone. Lunquist came to mind.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Bergeron at his very very best... might deserve a statement like that... but Bergeron hasn't been at his very very best more than half his career

once marchand went superrocket bergerons scoring rate improved significantly...

in his last 3 years he has 88 goals and 107 assists for 195 points in 228 games
that means in his previous 740 games he has just 206 goals and 344 assists for 550 points

he was basically a 22 goal/59-60 point per year average player his first 10 seasons and then became a 30 goal/70 point guy the last 3 years

even at his career norm... he was always very very underated. the fact that he doesn't have 6-7-8 selkes is just sick. he was robbed by toews because toews had a better pr guy.

honestly... I think bergerons recent offense is powered by his linemates. I don't think he takes his linemates and elevates them offensively. due to this reason I don't think we can talk about him as the second best bruin ever. I don't even think we can talk about him as the best center ever

phil Esposito did things offensively that were every bit as crazy dominant as what Bergeron does defensive... and then theres oates who was someone that elevated his linemates too. I think oates was very underrated defensive and as far as his offense goes he was a better playmaker than gretzky for years of head to head comparison. its shocking oates doesn't get more credit.

could Bergeron find a place in our top 10 all time list? I say he should be there... but with guys like bourque and neely in contention... some of the old time hof like shore and Schmidt... you likely are considering Bergeron at the bottom of the top 10. still great but not quite second all time

id like to see us do another rate the alltime bruins. I feel chara/Bergeron didn't get nearly enough respect last time we did it... and I could make a case for marchand getting up in that top 10 now too based on his last 2-3 seasons
With Pasternak knocking on the door.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
None of those players have been with their club as long as Bergy has been with the Bruins. Stamkos? Like a five year difference.

Matter of fact. It was a good question......and the answer appesrs to be, Yes.........no player in the league has been with his club as long as Bergy has been aBruin. Dustin Brown close second.

When I thought about it for a couple seconds this morning - there's a decent chance that in a couple years, he could be the last active player to lace them up before the cap was instituted.

Doubt there's more than 15 active players left in the league that played before that lock-out and he'd be the youngest - as he was the youngest player in the league that year. With Staal and Brown being the only guys his age - I think.

Reactions: PaulD

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
When I thought about it for a couple seconds this morning - there's a decent chance that in a couple years, he could be the last active player to lace them up before the cap was instituted.

Doubt there's more than 15 active players left in the league that played before that lock-out and he'd be the youngest - as he was the youngest player in the league that year. With Staal and Brown being the only guys his age - I think.
I think I saw a main board thread about that a while ago.

I wonder if there's a list of who the youngest player in the league has been over the years. He was youngest in the AHL during the lockout as well, I believe.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I think I saw a main board thread about that a while ago.

I wonder if there's a list of who the youngest player in the league has been over the years. He was youngest in the AHL during the lockout as well, I believe.

ya, I guess he would've been as everyone his age whom hadn't played in the NHL would've had to play another year in juniors.

Then WJC that year - which as a Canadian - is one of the top international moments ever. Best junior team we'll see in our lifetime. - and he won MVP. - that makes me feel old but is also why so many Canadians love Bergeron since he started.

Bergeron, Crosby, Perry line was unstoppable. Then add in Carter, Weber, Getzlaf, Ladd, M. Richards, Seabrook, Stewart, Dawes, Barker, A. Stewart, MacArthur, Coburn,

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
ya, I guess he would've been as everyone his age whom hadn't played in the NHL would've had to play another year in juniors.

Then WJC that year - which as a Canadian - is one of the top international moments ever. Best junior team we'll see in our lifetime. - and he won MVP. - that makes me feel old but is also why so many Canadians love Bergeron since he started.

Bergeron, Crosby, Perry line was unstoppable. Then add in Carter, Weber, Getzlaf, Ladd, M. Richards, Seabrook, Stewart, Dawes, Barker, A. Stewart, MacArthur, Coburn,

MVP in a tournament with Crosby, Ovechkin, and Malkin. Not too shabby.

Poor Dobby was the Russian goalie :laugh:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I can count on one hand the number of players in the NHL I'd pay to see, just for that one player. Bergy is one of them.
I was sitting there yesterday sober thinking ‘watching 63-37-88’ as a group but as incredibly different skill sets that work to perfection is something I need to start right now appreciating more

When epic meets iconic you have these guys

Just ridiculous how phenomenal they are

Pastrnak healthy is a 600+ goal scorer

Bergeron is like the child of Jean Belliveau and Bob Gainey

Words can’t describe Marchand you have to watch

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Patrice Bergeron is the most underrappreciated Boston athlete of the millennium

Everything that makes Bergeron the best Bruin of this millennium was on display Saturday afternoon. He just deserves a lot more recognition for it.

He’s easily the best Bruin of the last 19 years; no other Bruin during that time consistently ranks top-10 in goals, assists, and points. Since the Bobby Orr era, Bergeron is a top-3 Bruin. There’s Cam Neely, Ray Bourque, and then Bergeron. Because of the Stanley Cup win, he could even be ranked above them.

Reactions: Fred McCarthy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad