Confirmed with Link: Patric picked up his phone, Matheson + Sceviour to PIT for Hornqvist (no salary retention)

SimbaThePanther

Jul 3, 2015
Sweden
Anyone can play his role. I cannot believe we are all so attached to Sceviour, he was good but completely replaceable. He’s the last guy I thought we’d all be upset over losing.

Anyone can be a good PKer, and for cheaper than 1.2 mil. It’s not a difficult role to fill.

Maybe go out and get Matt Martin or someone similar, done.

I may be in the minority here but this is like crying over spilled milk.

I both agree and disagree with you here. Personally I really liked Sceviour, but he is starting to trend down in any case and am not too upset about loosing him in this trade. He is, as you say, totally replaceable. However I can't believe you are serious when you say anyone can do his role or anyone can be a good PKer. I can name a few on the Panthers team alone that would not be better then him in the role he was asked to play here. There are reasons some players never get a minute (or is a trainwreck) on the PK. :)

Reactions: 16Skippy

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Craig Adams had #27 in 2014-15 when Hornqvist joined the Penguins, and no one wore it after that season before Bjugstad. Hornqvist probably just never bothered to change it, or it could be a Pens team culture thing that you pick one number and stick with it.

Thankfully he didn't request to change it after his first season in Pittsburgh, because once you win a Cup in a number I'd have to imagine it becomes a lot harder to want to change it. That's why Jake Guentzel still wears his training camp number despite his "normal" number being vacated for a couple years by the time he debuted (well that and young players having to "earn" the right to choose their number

Number changes aren't a super weird thing for Penguins either (Dominik Simon seemingly has worn as many numbers as he's scored goals), so I can only assume Hörny didn't see the point to changing it a year into wearing 72.

Noticed the Panthers site has him in 70...not sure if that's temporary or not. The Pens were almost obnoxiously fast at assigning Matheson & Sceviour new numbers considering how long the trade took to finalize (Matheson 5 & Sceviour 7). Apropos of nothing, as a Penguins fan who adores Hörny and weird high numbers, this trade never stops hurting. Matheson & Sceviour adding up to being 60 below Hörnqvist makes all the sense in the world. Sigh.

Last edited:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Thankfully he didn't request to change it after his first season in Pittsburgh, because once you win a Cup in a number I'd have to imagine it becomes a lot harder to want to change it. That's why Jake Guentzel still wears his training camp number despite his "normal" number being vacated for a couple years by the time he debuted (well that and young players having to "earn" the right to choose their number

Number changes aren't a super weird thing for Penguins either (Dominik Simon seemingly has worn as many numbers as he's scored goals), so I can only assume Hörny didn't see the point to changing it a year into wearing 72.

Noticed the Panthers site has him in 70...not sure if that's temporary or not. The Pens were almost obnoxiously fast at assigning Matheson & Sceviour new numbers considering how long the trade took to finalize (Matheson 5 & Sceviour 7). Apropos of nothing, as a Penguins fan who adores Hörny and weird high numbers, this trade never stops hurting. Matheson & Sceviour adding up to being 60 below Hörnqvist makes all the sense in the world. Sigh.
It's announced that it is permanent...we have another overpaid 72 here

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Its funny that the excuse for Math was the Pettersen incident.

What happened to the games before that?

He was only good here in 2015-16 during the games right before the playoffs and during the playoffs.

He was garbo after that with spurts of decency

Yeah he never showed consistency. That's why his eight year deal was nuts.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Anyone can play his role. I cannot believe we are all so attached to Sceviour, he was good but completely replaceable. He’s the last guy I thought we’d all be upset over losing.

Anyone can be a good PKer, and for cheaper than 1.2 mil. It’s not a difficult role to fill.

Maybe go out and get Matt Martin or someone similar, done.

I may be in the minority here but this is like crying over spilled milk.

I go here with a former Poster, who also mention it. Pk work aint that easy, you must commit, to more or less do great defensiv work as forward, with less Minutes playing and low Money.
Also the Team awaiting that you are committed to also throw your Body in to block shots. I doesnt saw Money Players with great positioning and defensiv skill on this Team.
Yes it can be played by a lot of Players, current i dont see it. Maybe in the Beginning of the Season we see something new and so lets hope some Players stepping up and get it together.

You are not minority, but giving Matheson a Tribute thread but when a better player gone we should be quiet?
I would also agree that Sceviour was more on a Way down last 1 1/2 Season.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
People actually upset over the Sceviour loss?

Just call up one our high draft picks the last decade and Sceviour is replaced.

Im not upset or people not upset, only giving him a hard Way out. Since he was the better player of the 2 for 1 Trade, we send back.

And i think the Plan is clear, since Zito mention it from Day 1. He want to close the Spots with Player we drafted, what allows us to handle the Cap Situation better then yet. That you are commited with Contracts like Matheson was and Yandle is or even Stralman. All those spots should be filled with own talents as far it is possible and succesful.
The succes will give him right or teach us wrong.

Stanley Cup Boundd

Sep 17, 2018
E844AB83-D130-48E6-BFA7-CE126153E57F.gif

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013

Dont say that. You’ll upset the people who think he should be in the Hall of Fame for being the leagues greatest penalty killer and 4th liner.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Im not upset or people not upset, only giving him a hard Way out. Since he was the better player of the 2 for 1 Trade, we send back.

And i think the Plan is clear, since Zito mention it from Day 1. He want to close the Spots with Player we drafted, what allows us to handle the Cap Situation better then yet. That you are commited with Contracts like Matheson was and Yandle is or even Stralman. All those spots should be filled with own talents as far it is possible and succesful.
The succes will give him right or teach us wrong.

That’s fine, he was good PKer but brought not much else when the team wasn’t on the PK.

He is not the only guy in the league that’s good at PKing. He can and will be replaced fairly easily.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Need a new guy for the pk? Come back home, Frolik :) I actually wanted to dump sceviour and use his money on him instead. Cheap 2yr deal or something

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Need a new guy for the pk? Come back home, Frolik :) I actually wanted to dump sceviour and use his money on him instead. Cheap 2yr deal or something

If it's under 2 million, sure. Useful player still. But I'd rather stay away from these bottom six guys who are UFAs, the deals generally tend to backfire.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
If it's under 2 million, sure. Useful player still. But I'd rather stay away from these bottom six guys who are UFAs, the deals generally tend to backfire.
Around 2per is what I had in mind. I agree, I wouldn’t commit to anything over 3yrs and It’d have to be at a low cap hit.

would love to nab one of the D from the islanders (not boychuck, leddy or hickey)

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002

and Sceviour was scratched in the playoffs a place like a player like him should excel. He was in Q dog house

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
and Sceviour was scratched in the playoffs a place like a player like him should excel. He was in Q dog house
It's a bit odd that he found the Acciari-Haula pairing to be such great penalty killers, but Sceviour did not look great on Pulock's PP goal in game 2. He did force a penalty on the Islanders when he took off on a PK breakaway though. You won't see just anybody doing that, and it's a nice momentum shifter. I don't think anyone is actually arguing that Sceviour was a key part of the team, just that he was more than a throwaway that can be replaced by a rando off the streets and that it would be wise for management to not treat the fourth line as such.

Reactions: pantherbot

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I dont get the Stepan idea. We need a #2 center. He is not one.

His production has been down the last two years but he certainly was before. Now he's playing for a new contract and it's not like he's old. And it's Arizona, everyone's production takes a dump there.

He would be purely a low cost stop gap that, who knows, could even work out long term. Other option would be to roll with Borg/Haula as 2C which solves nothing and is another year wasted for this core.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->