Sportsnet: Patches to NYI, ROR to MTL almost happened @ Draft

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Good question

For starters I am guessing Patches would look for a similar amount ROR makes in an extension but in terms of fitting either

New York Islanders - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Islanders have 32M capspace but only 8F-4D-1G

A Hypthetical Tavares-O'Reilly addition would add 18-19M which would leave us 13M.

Probably means we would have to trade Nelson(3-4M?) fill our roster with 3F who make 1M or less. Pulock gets 2M basically leaving us 8M for 2 Defense(in which case one of those defenseman makes less then 1M) and a goalie
Yup, sounds like you should have acquire Ryan yourselves. Especially sounds like Tavares going to Sharks.

Reactions: Baksfamous112

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Yup, sounds like you should have acquire Ryan yourselves. Especially sounds like Tavares going to Sharks.

MY basic point was ROR would make more sense going after if the mainpiece was our first rounder then Patches. Not as much as the Islanders should have traded for RoR(the idea that he could have been had for our first and two 2nds was a pipedream)

As I noted in my cap projections that Patches would pose similar issues with his extension that ROR would

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Seems hab fans are looking at this wrong. As if ROR to Montreal will happen, it's just a matter of the price. See, Buffalo has no need to help you. Unless a real package is done, they are fine keeping him.

And what if ROR wanted to leave??

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
I'm thinking if the trade was for one of the firsts and picks, the Islanders would have just traded for O'Reilly and left Montreal out of it. There had to be other pieces.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Sorry Montreal and Buffalo fans. We screwed you by not picking Dobson or Wahlstrom.

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
No way a deal was close to that. 11 could have been a piece of a trade, but obviously not the center. Maybe it was Mete, Scherbak, 11, and 2 2nds or something in that area. Teams could discuss the picks that almost happened after, but would keep a lid on the players almost dealt.

Glad that did not happen... it's Bergevin anyway so.. anything stupid would be possible.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Isles and Buffalo really going out of their way to help Montreal out. Friendly neighbors. Seems more like wishful thinking than anything else.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
So don't believe the organization who not only didn't make a certain trade, but also officially stated that they weren't close to making a trade...but believe TSN/Sportsnet whose entire existence is dependent on getting more people to view their content & sensationalizes the most unimportant things? The OP's link was written by a Montreal beat writer for christ sakes lol.

Remember when the expansion draft was for sure going to be the most trade-heavy event ever? Oh yea. Remember all the build up to a Hanifin-Hamilton swap that TSN insiders were covering weeks leading up to it? Oh yea me too. NHL teams don't share actual relevant present information to these guys, because they don't want anyone to know what they're up to.

I am not believing anyone one way or the other, but to take a GM"s word about trades that didn't happen is ridiculous.

Reporter to Botterill on about a trade of Ryan O'Reilly:

"At anytime were you close to making a deal involving Ryan O'Rielly?"

Botterill:

Yea, we were pretty close. We have been trying to move Ryan but in the end we just weren't getting enough back. We would have done for the third overall but Montreal wasn't having it."

What would you expect Botterill to say? Of course he is going to say they weren't close to a trade. Any worthwhile GM would say the same thing. A GM would have to be a freaking idiot to say yes, we were close to making a trade of any specific player, because that player still has to play on that team. Saying we weren't close to a trade is basically the only thing he can say.

If there is a player that is on the block, he is either traded or when the GM is asked about him he will say "it wasn't close."

I would not be surprised at all if O'Reilly was close to being dealt at the draft. Seriously please stop taking GM's at their word. Part of the job description is to lie. There is a lot of poker going on.

Last edited by a moderator:

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
I am not believing anyone one way or the other, but to take a GM"s word about trades that didn't happen is ridiculous.

Reporter to Botterill on about a trade of Ryan O'Reilly:

"At anytime were you close to making a deal involving Ryan O'Rielly?"

Botterill:

Yea, we were pretty close. We have been trying to move Ryan but in the end we just weren't getting enough back. We would have done for the third overall but Montreal wasn't having it."

What would you expect Botterill to say? Of course he is going to say they weren't close to a trade. Any worthwhile GM would say the same thing. A GM would have to be a freaking idiot to say yes, we were close to making a trade of any specific player, because that player still has to play on that team. Saying we weren't close to a trade is basically the only thing he can say.

If there is a player that is on the block, he is either traded or when the GM is asked about him he will say "it wasn't close."

I would not be surprised at all if O'Reilly was close to being dealt at the draft. Seriously please stop taking GM's at their word. Part of the job description is to lie. There is a lot of poker going on.

And who do you think Sportsnet/TSN gets all of their information from?

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
And who do you think Sportsnet/TSN gets all of their information from?
Dude, I am not saying Sportsnet/TSN do not have their own agendas. What I am saying is, I think taking a GM in any sport at their word regarding trades and drafts is folly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bazeek

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
The media wants to get ratings, they report on things that they hear may happen to get people to tune in. More often than not those those things don't happen. Patches though is someone who probably gets traded this summer, same with O'reilly.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Dude, I am not saying Sportsnet/TSN does not have their own agendas. What I am saying is, I think taking a GM in any sport at their word regarding trades and drafts is folly.

I agree, you shouldn't fully believe either the GM's or the TSN Insiders. In this case though I put more faith in Botteril's words being true as they were reportedly asking for 3rd overall (again, info supplied by TSN so who knows what's true), and that package suggested in the OP article was not even close in value. Also in this case, the OP article is written by a Montreal beat reporter, who most likely is trying to paint Bergevin in a better light to give Habs fans some hope.

Moral of the story, don't fully believe anyone because everyone has their own agenda.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver

Mike Harrington @ByMHarrington

Botterill on ROR deals: “There are a ton of rumors our there about Ryan and I think a lot of them are very creative.” Was there a deal in place at the draft? “No.” #Sabres
3:41 PM - Jun 27, 2018
From Buffalo Sabres General Manager Jason Botterill himself...…..
So no, Montreal fans, THERE WAS NEVER ANY DEAL IN PLACE...…….:D
Nice try though.
Lots of Habs fans happy that it didn't happened, since a very large portion of us want a rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->