Sportsnet: Patches to NYI, ROR to MTL almost happened @ Draft

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
To be fair it doesn't really matter. He doesn't have a NTC so what is going to "solve his issues" doesn't factor into the equation.

Sure but its the whole premise around the speculation of him being traded.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Hey, you know the team more than I do. But the question then becomes...why pay a near top-10 pick for O'Reilly, if what you need is a third line center, defense stability and a goaltender ? Why pay such a high price for something that could be addressed through free agency, or via trades that probably wouldn't cost near as much ? Which I guess is another reason not to take Engel's scenario that seriously. ;)

1. I think it would take more then Islanders first rounder and 2 seconds to get ROR, so the idea the Islanders could pull of this trade is just hypothetical

2. I do see advantages to being strong down the Middle, so I have 0 issues putting more money into center and going cheap on wings(which most likely means we don't resign Eberle and/or Lee next summer)

3. I would do the trade just for the insurance we don't sign Tavares

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
What if's and who cares. Honestly trading ROR to the Habs without an over payment is the wrong message to the Sabres fans. Seeing him routinely for the next five years could be more of a burden than a positive. So I for one, am fine with it. Montreal's assets are one of the weakest in terms of trading Ryan O'Reilly without as I mentioned a complete over payment on their part.

Reactions: normaliswear

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
All I know that one way or another, half of the people in this thread are going to be eating some major crow when the season starts. And regardless of who it is, they'd deserve. Lots of strong opinions in here.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Except pretty much every credible insider said the deal to LA almost happened and Sportsnet said nyi almost happened as well. So I'm inclined to believe that the 4th period is wrong.
Habs management (Geoff Molson) probably paid the 4th period and Brian Wilde off to say those things.

Reactions: Captain97

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Haters gonna hate. I'll believe McKenzie over just about any source.
Oh, and ROR won't be going to the Jabs, enjoy your rebuild :)
Delusional people will never believe the truth even when it's sitting right in front of them.
ROR the prince won't get a kings ransom like you think he's gonna get. Enjoy the basement again.
Funny how neither M.B , J.B and l.l have yet to come out and deny this.
Maybe because it's the truth.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
I think it's funny that fans and media believe what GM's say in regards to the draft and trading players.

So don't believe the organization who not only didn't make a certain trade, but also officially stated that they weren't close to making a trade...but believe TSN/Sportsnet whose entire existence is dependent on getting more people to view their content & sensationalizes the most unimportant things? The OP's link was written by a Montreal beat writer for christ sakes lol.

Remember when the expansion draft was for sure going to be the most trade-heavy event ever? Oh yea. Remember all the build up to a Hanifin-Hamilton swap that TSN insiders were covering weeks leading up to it? Oh yea me too. NHL teams don't share actual relevant present information to these guys, because they don't want anyone to know what they're up to.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Isles offense was tied for 7th overall last season. Not only are they trying to give Tavares a huge raise, they have roster holes in goal and defense.
I am gonna need something more then a Montreal fanboy in the media, to believe this rumor because MaxPac looking for a big, ufa payday does not make sense for the nyi.

It would make sense for the Habs, but not the isles

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Canadiens' Bergevin came close to hitting all marks during draft weekend - Sportsnet.ca

Basically the Habs were going to trade Max for one of the 1st rounders from the Islanders, and flip that to Buffalo for ROR, but the Islanders pulled out when they had the options to draft who they did.

Interesting in theory, Sabres fans wanted 3OA but seems like the deal would have been done around a lot less.

I wonder if this is something that still happens in some capacity.
Always goes wrong for Habs. Just mistake after misfortune. You would think they would fluke something good after awhile, odds of chance

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
As an Islanders fan if this is true, thank you Arizona and Rangers for going slightly off the board. lol

In all reality if all it cost was our 11th pick and 2 seconds why wouldn't we just trade for O'Reilly.
Do you have the caproom? Tavares remember plus you need a high end goalie

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Do you have the caproom? Tavares remember plus you need a high end goalie

Good question

For starters I am guessing Patches would look for a similar amount ROR makes in an extension but in terms of fitting either

New York Islanders - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Islanders have 32M capspace but only 8F-4D-1G

A Hypthetical Tavares-O'Reilly addition would add 18-19M which would leave us 13M.

Probably means we would have to trade Nelson(3-4M?) fill our roster with 3F who make 1M or less. Pulock gets 2M basically leaving us 8M for 2 Defense(in which case one of those defenseman makes less then 1M) and a goalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad