Sportsnet: Patches to NYI, ROR to MTL almost happened @ Draft

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Oh no... we could be forced to keep one of the top 20 centers in hockey for another year of his prime???? Whatever shall we do? Lol

You can keep him for sure! Top 20? Not sure... maybe on the same planet where is worth more then 11th pick + 2 x 2nds + Sherbak + Mete.

Here's a list of 26 centers just off the top of my head.

McDavid
Crosby
Malkin
Backstrom
Kuznetsov
Stamkos
Tavares
Kopitar
Bergeron
Barkov
Eichel
Matthews
Draisaitl
Monahan
Couturier
Getzlaf
Scheifele
Toews
Barzal
Karlsson
Seguin
Mackinnon
Trotchek
Staal
Couture
Pavelski

normaliswear

Oct 22, 2006
We are getting off topic here but with the new lottery rules, it takes a lot of luck to acquire a franchise-altering player like Crosby. Tanking was more beneficial back then.
True but I don't mean tanking necessarily. Just rebuilding. There's a fine line between the two to be sure. But having been through both recently, there is still a line.

normaliswear

Oct 22, 2006
You can keep him for sure! Top 20? Not sure... maybe on the same planet where is worth more then 11th pick + 2 x 2nds + Sherbak + Mete.

Here's a list of 26 centers just off the top of my head.

McDavid
Crosby
Malkin
Backstrom
Kuznetsov
Stamkos
Tavares
Kopitar
Bergeron
Barkov
Eichel
Matthews
Draisaitl
Monahan
Couturier
Getzlaf
Scheifele
Toews
Barzal
Karlsson
Seguin
Mackinnon
Trotchek
Staal
Couture
Pavelski
Then keep your players. You are way more invested in this trade happening than I am. I will happily keep ROR or find a better trade partner. The habs can run whatever they like out at center. Enjoy.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Then keep your players. You are way more invested in this trade happening than I am. I will happily keep ROR or find a better trade partner. The habs can run whatever they like out at center. Enjoy.

I keep saying I don't want anything to do with that trade. What I'm saying is you are overrating ROR. He's a good player, but not as good as you think.

Cheers

Reactions: Habset

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal
We already have 40 goal scorer Lee, Bailey could play LW if need be. Beauvillier is climbing up the left wing charts. Nelson should be playing Left Wing. Oh yeah we are wasting 5.5M on Ladd. Then we have Bellows and a host of other left wingers we have drafted over the past few drafts.

I think we have enough left wings. Now a guy who can fix our 3rd line center issue which I identify as one of our 3 big holes on the team(I am not saying ROR is a 3rd liner but just imagine having such great depth in that one position that a guy who could potentially be a #1 else where is centering our third line). If Tavares is worried about how the team is built he is looking for us to get a good goalie, improve the defense and find a Solid guy to center our 3rd line more then trying to find somebody to replace Anders Lee.

Hey, you know the team more than I do. But the question then becomes...why pay a near top-10 pick for O'Reilly, if what you need is a third line center, defense stability and a goaltender ? Why pay such a high price for something that could be addressed through free agency, or via trades that probably wouldn't cost near as much ? Which I guess is another reason not to take Engel's scenario that seriously. ;)

normaliswear

Oct 22, 2006
I keep saying I don't want anything to do with that trade. What I'm saying is you are overrating ROR. He's a good player, but not as good as you think.

Cheers
And I'm saying I have no interest in rehashing a month old debate with hundreds of posts. You offer a severe underpayment, I want nothing to do with it. Anything below something like I asked and you can look elsewhere. No need to repeat ourselves.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
M.B. reminds me of JFJ when he was the Leafs' GM. Scrambling to keep a house from crumbling down with a hammer and nails.

Even if he pulled this off the team is still unstable.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
And I'm saying I have no interest in rehashing a month old debate with hundreds of posts. You offer a severe underpayment, I want nothing to do with it. Anything below something like I asked and you can look elsewhere. No need to repeat ourselves.

I didn't offer anything, what are you talking about...
Anyway, I just can't see how you think you will get more then what you paid for ROR.

normaliswear

Oct 22, 2006
Anyway, I just can't see how you think you will get more then what you paid for ROR.
If you need this chat... reread the other 100 ROR Montreal threads. Hundreds of posts explaining various opinions.

Habset

Feb 21, 2008
Montreal
Don't bother he has no idea what he's talking about, Buffalo fans are getting themselves all wet for a return on ROR not realising that nobody wants him except for a center deprived Montreal who really don't want him all that bad anyway. Let them keep him another year while his value keeps dropping and they'll see more and more that he's just a younger glorified Thomas Plekanec and that Montreal is really dodging a bullet on this trade.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Don't bother he has no idea what he's talking about, Buffalo fans are getting themselves all wet for a return on ROR not realising that nobody wants him except for a center deprived Montreal who really don't want him all that bad anyway. Let them keep him another year while his value keeps dropping and they'll see more and more that he's just a younger glorified Thomas Plekanec and that Montreal is really dodging a bullet on this trade.

Yea, that's what I was thinking too. If we could get the Isles first for Pac, I would hope Bergevin would've just draft a plyer with the pick. I would've been really happy with Dobson/Whalstrom or any of the top 12 players drafted.

Reactions: Habset

strongcomp05

Jun 8, 2018
Interesting. Little bit of fan fiction here, but I think all the pieces fit:

So last offseason, a rumored trade between the Islanders and Toronto swapping Hamonic for JVR+ is rescinded when JVR won't agree to an extension. Patches goes into the draft with Pat Brisson as his agent. Brisson, who as JT's agent has spent the past month heavily involved with the Islanders front office. Discussions happen pre-draft, and Patches agrees to an extension, homeboy's from Connecticut after all one ferry ride away from where they grew up.

For the Islanders - we expect one top player to be there at 11, not so sure about 12. Lou's probably not that high on guys like Hayton or Kravtsov, but Montreal licks their chops to get another high-end center prospect. So a deal is reached - 12th overall for a extended Patches, but Lou's gonna wait to see how the draft board goes.

1st - The Hayton pick pushes a lot of top guys down the board, so while Buffalo couldn't get #3 for ROR, they start talking about the possibility of pairing one Wahlstrom, Dobson, Bouchard with Dahlin and if that would be an acceptable return for ROR. Montreal offers more (hence all the talk between Botterill and Bergevin on the draft floor) with Montreal offering the 12th overall for ROR and Buffalo gradually growing more interested.

2nd - Rangers pick Kravtsov, and eventually Islanders scouts start to panic as they realize Edmonton and their RHD-hungry squad will certainly take whichever of Bouchard and Dobson they prefer. So trades off, no Patches to NYI, no ROR to Buffalo. Patches isn't happy, as he was under the impression he'd get traded to the Islanders, so once again Bergevin tries to shop him elsewhere, and ends up with the Kings offer. Which Bergevin likes, but Brisson can't get Kings management to pony up the same term and/or AAV that the Isles were offering him. Whatever was being offered was unacceptable, and having got jerked in the wind twice on the same day, promptly fires Brisson, knowing Walsh would happily represent him with one phone call.

Seems pretty legit actually

normaliswear

Oct 22, 2006
Yeah... just gonna let you speak for Habs fans here. Very grounded lol.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
I still dont understand how going from Buffalo to Montreal solves RoRs issues. The guy wants to win, right ?

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
The Sabres GM Jason Botterill is the one who stuck to his guns. 3 OA.
Stating ROR would have gone for less is not true, nor does this article state such. Both McKenzie and Dregger have stated Botterill wasn't moving off the 3rd OA demand.
You wish.READ the article.
Qoute...{We’re told that deal was on the table up until the picks started rolling in.}
That tells me that Botterill didn't stick to his guns as the 3rdOA was off the table and one of the 11th/12th with a few other picks were fine by him.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Seems hab fans are looking at this wrong. As if ROR to Montreal will happen, it's just a matter of the price. See, Buffalo has no need to help you. Unless a real package is done, they are fine keeping him.
Funny they were willing to give him up for the 11th and a couple of 2nds but it was the Islanders that pulled out.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Interesting. Little bit of fan fiction here, but I think all the pieces fit:

So last offseason, a rumored trade between the Islanders and Toronto swapping Hamonic for JVR+ is rescinded when JVR won't agree to an extension. Patches goes into the draft with Pat Brisson as his agent. Brisson, who as JT's agent has spent the past month heavily involved with the Islanders front office. Discussions happen pre-draft, and Patches agrees to an extension, homeboy's from Connecticut after all one ferry ride away from where they grew up.

For the Islanders - we expect one top player to be there at 11, not so sure about 12. Lou's probably not that high on guys like Hayton or Kravtsov, but Montreal licks their chops to get another high-end center prospect. So a deal is reached - 12th overall for a extended Patches, but Lou's gonna wait to see how the draft board goes.

1st - The Hayton pick pushes a lot of top guys down the board, so while Buffalo couldn't get #3 for ROR, they start talking about the possibility of pairing one Wahlstrom, Dobson, Bouchard with Dahlin and if that would be an acceptable return for ROR. Montreal offers more (hence all the talk between Botterill and Bergevin on the draft floor) with Montreal offering the 12th overall for ROR and Buffalo gradually growing more interested.

2nd - Rangers pick Kravtsov, and eventually Islanders scouts start to panic as they realize Edmonton and their RHD-hungry squad will certainly take whichever of Bouchard and Dobson they prefer. So trades off, no Patches to NYI, no ROR to Buffalo. Patches isn't happy, as he was under the impression he'd get traded to the Islanders, so once again Bergevin tries to shop him elsewhere, and ends up with the Kings offer. Which Bergevin likes, but Brisson can't get Kings management to pony up the same term and/or AAV that the Isles were offering him. Whatever was being offered was unacceptable, and having got jerked in the wind twice on the same day, promptly fires Brisson, knowing Walsh would happily represent him with one phone call.
Wow i rarely agree with you but this scenario makes to much sense to not be true.WTG.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
You wish.READ the article.
Qoute...{We’re told that deal was on the table up until the picks started rolling in.}
That tells me that Botterill didn't stick to his guns as the 3rdOA was off the table and one of the 11th/12th with a few other picks were fine by him.
Haters gonna hate. I'll believe McKenzie over just about any source.
Oh, and ROR won't be going to the Jabs, enjoy your rebuild :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad