Pat Roy's shutouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOVALEV10*

ExtremeHockeyFan said:
When you say, "All Roy fans know how to support their hero is by always bringing up wins," what are you talking about exactly? I am not a Roy fan, he is egotistical as all hell and I find him annoying. Also, that 1986 playoff run that I referred to, he eliminated my team in it. Even still, I give credit where it is due and the guy was a great goalie.

Anyway, you are assuming a lot man. This thread is about Roy, and I responded directly to that. Nothing more to it really. What you are bringing up Hasek for, I have no clue. He is another great goalie for sure. But last I checked, this thread wasn't about him.

I mean do your thing, by all means. But don't start attacking me and saying "All Roy fans know how to support their hero is by always bringing up wins" when I am a Ranger fan.

;)

And when you say Roy comes in number two, I dunno. For me, though, number one all-time is Jacques Plante or Terry Sawchuk.

My bad. I just assumed that you were a Roy fan since you said I've watched Roy since the day he carried the habs in 86. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Cake or Death

KOVALEV10 said:
My bad. I just assumed that you were a Roy fan since you said I've watched Roy since the day he carried the habs in 86. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
No problem. Fact is, Roy almost caused me to smash the hell out of my TV in 1986. The Rangers finished with 78 points that season and somehow became awesome in the playoffs. Round one, they knock out the Flyers (110 points, 2nd best in the league) ... round two they knock off the Caps (107 points, 3rd best overall). Round three ... the Partick Roy show.

Roy ... 1986 ... that pissed me off insanely. To this day, I have never seen a goaltending performance like that one. Roy was a 19 or 20 year old kid in his rookie season that year. He put up decent numbers for a rookie: 23-18-3 with a 3.35 GAA. In the playoffs, however, he became some kind of super human freak. In the mid 1980s - an era where scoring was high - he turned his regular season 3.35 GAA into a 1.93 in the playoffs. At age 20 or so, no less.

It pissed me off to no end, but an amazing performance nonetheless.

KOVALEV10*

ExtremeHockeyFan said:
No problem. Fact is, Roy almost caused me to smash the hell out of my TV in 1986. The Rangers finished with 78 points that season and somehow became awesome in the playoffs. Round one, they knock out the Flyers (110 points, 2nd best in the league) ... round two they knock off the Caps (107 points, 3rd best overall). Round three ... the Partick Roy show.

Roy ... 1986 ... that pissed me off insanely. To this day, I have never seen a goaltending performance like that one. Roy was a 19 or 20 year old kid in his rookie season that year. He put up decent numbers for a rookie: 23-18-3 with a 3.35 GAA. In the playoffs, however, he became some kind of super human freak. In the mid 1980s - an era where scoring was high - he turned his regular season 3.35 GAA into a 1.93 in the playoffs. At age 20 or so, no less.

It pissed me off to no end, but an amazing performance nonetheless.

Definately an amazing performance. But that was during a span of like 25 games. Hasek was that great for 7 straight years!! Also I remember Vanbiesbrouck was brilliant in those playoffs as well. Definately would've won the smythe if the rags had beat the habs.

However the greatest goaltending performance in the playoffs that I have seen still remains the 1998 and 1999 playoffs by Dominik Hasek and one series in particular. The montreal series in 1998. He single handedly swept our team. I was just in awe. I used to always sayy there we go another fluke save but then it came to the point where he was always making the same saves and I realised its not fluke, its unbelivable talent. Habs average about 40 shots per game in that series yet we still got swept. I still remember that to this day.

Cake or Death

KOVALEV10 said:
Definately an amazing performance. But that was during a span of like 25 games. Hasek was that great for 7 straight years!! Also I remember Vanbiesbrouck was brilliant in those playoffs as well. Definately would've won the smythe if the rags had beat the habs.

However the greatest goaltending performance in the playoffs that I have seen still remains the 1998 and 1999 playoffs by Dominik Hasek and one series in particular. The montreal series in 1998. He single handedly swept our team. I was just in awe. I used to always sayy there we go another fluke save but then it came to the point where he was always making the same saves and I realised its not fluke, its unbelivable talent. Habs average about 40 shots per game in that series yet we still got swept. I still remember that to this day.
Amazing how some of the losses stand out. You can recall them so vividly and get that feeling right back in your body again. And yes, Vanbiesbrouck was excellent that year.

One goaltender's playoffs I would like to see is Jacques Plante in 1960. He went a perfect 8-0 to win the Cup, with 3 shutouts and a 1.35 GAA. That was Plante's 5th consecutive Cup, and in that 5 season span he posted a playoff record of 40 wins and 9 losses.

If you're into hockey history, this is a really worth reading:

Plante changed goaltending

KOVALEV10*

ExtremeHockeyFan said:
Amazing how some of the losses stand out. You can recall them so vividly and get that feeling right back in your body again. And yes, Vanbiesbrouck was excellent that year.

One goaltender's playoffs I would like to see is Jacques Plante in 1960. He went a perfect 8-0 to win the Cup, with 3 shutouts and a 1.35 GAA. That was Plante's 5th consecutive Cup, and in that 5 season span he posted a playoff record of 40 wins and 9 losses.

Thanks! That was a great read! I've heard so many great stories about him from my dad who believes he was the best goalie he's ever seen. For each his opinion I guess.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Caseus said:
Think about it: in the entire history of the National Hockey League, with all the incredible players that have been a part of this great game, only Roy has been the MVP of the playoffs three times. Gretzky didn't do it. Lemieux didn't do it. The Rocket, Howe, Orr, none of them have more than 2.

They didn't award the Smythe trophy until 1965. If it had been awarded in Rocket Richard's time it is quite possible he would have won 4 or 5.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
cup2006sensrule said:
They didn't award the Smythe trophy until 1965. If it had been awarded in Rocket Richard's time it is quite possible he would have won 4 or 5.

there's a list somewhere where i believe some HHOF people went back and kind of decided who would have won the conn smyth for each Stanley Cup. anyone know where it is?

just going by stats, Richard probably would have won it in '44 and '58 (unless it went to a defenceman or goalie).

Last edited:

Caseus

squirrelly wrath
Mar 9, 2004
Ottawa
cup2006sensrule said:

Ooh, I stand (well, sit) corrected, I didn't know that. Though my point can still be illustrated using less illustrious players like Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Carbonneau said:
But Roy was better when it counted...in the playoffs
check out Dom's playoff stats. Just as good (if not better) than Patty's, its just the teams he was on were always subpar to the Avalanche mini-dynasty teams.

I'll admit the Habs team of '93 was very comparable to the Sabres teams of the late 90's.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
Beach Boy said:
Roy didn't care about shutouts or regular season stats..he was more worried about playoff success.

True 'dat. I used to call him "floater goalie" (and I say that with the opinion that he's the best of all-time).

I remember the Ducks scoring several third period goals against the 'Lanche in a comeback win against him. He looked as if he didn't care, and hell, he didn't. He played well enough to give his teams good playoff position, whereas Hasek had to play his best just to keep his team in contention for the playoffs. World of difference.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
ExtremeHockeyFan said:

Here's some other great reads on Plante.

Legends Spotlight

No. 4 moment: the man in the mask

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
arrbez said:
there's a list somewhere where i believe some HHOF people went back and kind of decided who would have won the conn smyth for each Stanley Cup. anyone know where it is?

just going by stats, Richard probably would have won it in '44 and '58 (unless it went to a defenceman or goalie).
Hockey News went back and retroactively said who should have won the Smythe and gave it to Richard 3 times (they usualy publish those when they run the list of Stanley Cup winners at the end of the year).

Namso

Aug 25, 2005
everyone knows roy didn't care about regular season and awards and all that garbage...all he cared about was the stanley cup.

That's why he wasn't uber-roy in the reg. season, he was just normal-roy. But come playoff time, there is no one else I'd rather have then roy in nets.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Hasbro said:
Hockey News went back and retroactively said who should have won the Smythe and gave it to Richard 3 times (they usualy publish those when they run the list of Stanley Cup winners at the end of the year).

Actually, they gave it to Richard 2 times (58, 51). Ted Kennedy is the only player to be mentioned 3 times (45, 47, 48).

Link: http://www.hhof.com/html/newsconn.shtml#winners

Cake or Death

That's all great speculation, and had the trophy actually not been presented to the league in 1964 maybe all those speculations of who might of won prior to '65 would be dead on. But really, who knows how the vote actually would have went back in the day?

You look at the 1980s, and Bossy scored 17 goals in the playoffs three seasons in a row, and only won the Smythe in '82. The season before, he had 35 points in 18 games (17 goals, 18 assists) and didn't win it, Butch Goring did. Goring had 20 points. Looking back at that now, without having voted on it at the time, you might be inclined to just vote Bossy since his numbers were so ridiculous. So really, who knows?

I truly think it's one of those awards that have to be voted on the same season the playoffs occur. Otherwise, the mind can slip, you can forget key checks, which goals scored really mattered, who made the timely saves, a player who made an impact on the PK, etc, etc. All these things can get muddied up pretty well as time goes by.

Renion

Feb 14, 2004
arrbez said:
hmmm...never noticed that bit about wandering out of the crease

maybe even he knew he was brutal at playing the puck and decided to only take adventures in the regular season, lol

Man, I remember watching some series where the announcers just couldn't stop laughing--affectionately, of course--when Roy would leave the crease. It was, as you said, a real adventure whenever he did so.

More shutouts, fewer shutouts....Whatever. Roy was always the most fun to watch, for me.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Renion said:
Man, I remember watching some series where the announcers just couldn't stop laughing--affectionately, of course--when Roy would leave the crease. It was, as you said, a real adventure whenever he did so.

More shutouts, fewer shutouts....Whatever. Roy was always the most fun to watch, for me.

One of my favourite Roy wondering moments is when he intercepts a pass across after the Avs have a terrible time trying to clear the puck, he proceeds to get up and skates it himself to clear the zone, of course the play was called dead for something or other.

I'll always love Roy for his crazy antics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->