Pat Kane: Not on ISS's Top 30?

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
I'll admit to barely having seen any of the 2007 eligibles play this year. But Pat Kane of London has astronomical points this year. It's easy to refute that as a function of playing on a line with Sam Gagner, who is leading the OHL in points. But to my knowledge, he lead the U-18 World's last year in Points as well as breaking Phil Kessel's points record on the USNDP team.

What's the deal with Pat Kane?:dunno:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Well, as of now I think that Kane can be placed anywhere from 15-30 depending on how you look at it.

I think that ISS has always had a bit of a Canadian/OHL bias, but since he's in the OHL you figure that he'd be on there. Not sure what to make of that.

I don't see how he can be out of the 1st round. Just can't see it.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
For a clearer answer as to why Kane was left off the list you should check out the "ISS top 30" threads. Somebody from the ISS makes his case for it.

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
I'll admit to barely having seen any of the 2007 eligibles play this year. But Pat Kane of London has astronomical points this year. It's easy to refute that as a function of playing on a line with Sam Gagner, who is leading the OHL in points. But to my knowledge, he lead the U-18 World's last year in Points as well as breaking Phil Kessel's points record on the USNDP team.

What's the deal with Pat Kane?:dunno:

The rankings that were just added to Hockey's Future website were released Oct. 4. They are the same rankings that a poster put on the message board from the TSN website.

There is no denying Pat Kane's skill with the puck.

I'll sum up our profile on him in our October report.

On the positive side: Excellent offensive skills, soft quick hands and dangerous around the net.

On the down side: Size is an issue. Our scouting databank has him at 5-foot-9 1/2 and 162 pounds. He needs to show he is willing and can play in high traffic areas. While his skating is not a weakness, he is not a speedster. Also, he needs to show a better commitment to defence.

His ranking of 35th Oct. 4 was done after London's first three games of the season. He's played a lot of hockey since then for the Knights and our scouts have had a better chance to look at him in the OHL. He was ranked 27th in our July report.

I share this information, not to knock Pat Kane, but to explain why, despite his impressive point totals, he was not ranked higher in October. I do not participate in making our rankings, but I'm guessing that his performance since our last rankings will help him move up. How far? We'll see on Nov. 4th.

I should add, our OHL correspondent, not a scout, but a writer who did a profile on Kane and Gagner for our Future NHL Stars report, was very impressed with Kane. He lives in London and has watched him several times this season. He agrees Kane is skilled, and is a legitimate first-rounder, but not yet deserving of being ranked in the top 10.

Last edited:

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
if kane doesnt get picked in the first round i will eat my shoes. you can quote me on this after the draft if it doesnt happen.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
true, but that was all because of he's dad or something. and the 03 draft was deep as hell. 07 draft looks pretty deep aswell, but no where near 03 imo.

very true. his family issues did play a major part.

from what I've heard from guys in the ISS and other CHL observers this isn't as deep as 03, but still very good. You really never know where a kid is going to end up. People were shocked Parise fell to where he did in 03. Same with Schremp in 04.

Size might still be an issue to some scouts and GMs. A full year in the CHL will show if Kane's frame can hold up.

Roger's Pancreas*

very true. his family issues did play a major part.

from what I've heard from guys in the ISS and other CHL observers this isn't as deep as 03, but still very good. You really never know where a kid is going to end up. People were shocked Parise fell to where he did in 03. Same with Schremp in 04.

Size might still be an issue to some scouts and GMs. A full year in the CHL will show if Kane's frame can hold up.

Size is irrelevant when a player has proper conditioning habits. Plus, he's only a kid yet. He still has a couple years to fill out his frame.

Roger's Pancreas*

If they were unreported, how do you know that the combustions actually took place?

I know some people who know some people who don't care enough to deal with the hassel of insurance for those people.

kingpin_19

Jan 5, 2005
Drumheller, AB
Agreed with ISS in terms of not yet top ten material. However, I think he may be top ten by the end of the season. I have said this before, but I am waiting very patiently for November 4th. It's marked on my calendar thats for sure...

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
maybe he's not top 10 right now, but its a deep draft.

question: if you had like the #29 overall pick right now. would you have picked kane if he was still available.

the question here isn't why he is not top 10. its why is he not top 30. and probably everyone here would agree he is top 30. exepct ISS.

turnbuckle*

maybe he's not top 10 right now, but its a deep draft.

question: if you had like the #29 overall pick right now. would you have picked kane if he was still available.

the question here isn't why he is not top 10. its why is he not top 30. and probably everyone here would agree he is top 30. exepct ISS.

Maybe he's not top ten? I don't know how you can argue that he's not. That explosive speed and shot are top ten material without question. You can't teach those things.

He's reminding me of PM Bouchard in his draft year - does nothing but impress and produce, but since he's only 5-9........I'd be shocked if Kane drops out of the top ten, in fact right now if I was drafting I'd pick him in the top three.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
You can't teach those things.

This is just it. You can teach defensive tactics and a commitment to defense, but you can't teach Kane's offensive prowess. It is a gift that some have and some don't... Kane has it. Now, you also can't teach size. However, with the rule changes the NHL is a place where Brian Gionta can put up almost 50 goals by standing in front of the net... Kane has a place in the NHL if he can learn defense and his offensive talent puts him among the top 30 prospects for next year's draft. It's that simple.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Maybe he's not top ten? I don't know how you can argue that he's not. That explosive speed and shot are top ten material without question. You can't teach those things.

He's reminding me of PM Bouchard in his draft year - does nothing but impress and produce, but since he's only 5-9........I'd be shocked if Kane drops out of the top ten, in fact right now if I was drafting I'd pick him in the top three.

i think iss knows this a little bit better then you. there is reasom they have him this low. personally i dont think he is top 10 yet. i would rank him around 10-20 somewhere, but if he keeps putting up a lot of points he will definitely be in my top 10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad