In Memoriam Pat Burns (04/04/1952-19/11/2010) could be celebrate 70 annivesary today

DRW895

Dec 29, 2021
He passed away more than 11 years ago, inducted in the HHOF post humously in 2014. 3 Jack Adams Award and Stanley Cup, 501 career wins.

burns_pat_487.jpg
GYI0062538176.0.jpg

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Honestly my first gut reaction is he really gone as his passing was prematurely reported at least once.

Pretty damm good coach he was.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Gets some posthumous flack for his Hall induction being a "sympathy induction", BUT the guy did go 501-353-151-14, went to the Finals as a rookie coach, won the Stanley Cup, and gave Toronto two of its three trips to the Conference series since 1967.

A bit Tortorella-like, he seemed to show up, institute his own system overnight, and have immediate results, but in doing so inevitably alienate one or two players (sometimes scorers).

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Gets some posthumous flack for his Hall induction being a "sympathy induction", BUT the guy did go 501-353-151-14, went to the Finals as a rookie coach, won the Stanley Cup, and gave Toronto two of its three trips to the Conference series since 1967.

A bit Tortorella-like, he seemed to show up, institute his own system overnight, and have immediate results, but in doing so inevitably alienate one or two players (sometimes scorers).

Yeah, he came from that old school Montreal system where defense first really meant defense first.

Lou took that blueprint to new Jersey, where burns would eventually end up.

I think the players generally liked him because as hard as he was, he would go to bat for you to the nth degree if you do what is asked.

He usually had immediate success wherever he went, and an intimidating presence about him. A former cop, and he looked the part in spades.

As a kid, there were few things more terrifying while watching hockey than burns losing his marbles at the refs or the opposing coaches.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
I recall Scott Gomez telling a pretty sweet anecdote about Burns on the Spittin Chiclets podcast. I’m going by memory, but iirc Gomez said Pat Burns had called him at the very end of his life — which also was when Gomez was struggling/getting a ton of flack for not living up to his massive salary in Montréal — to say that he felt sorry for perhaps having been too tough on him during their time together in New Jersey. Gomez had basically responded with a “f*** the right off”, that he deserved and needed everything Burns had thrown at him, and that he loves him. Burns got a chuckle from their interaction, and it was a nice story.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Gone way too soon. Probably could have still been coaching.

Never lasted long wherever he went, but his immediate impact was incredible. There proabably wasn't another coach who could whip a team into shape and get them playing the way he wanted more quickly than Burns. Evidenced by the results. His first year with every single team he coached was remarkably successful.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Can I say something perhaps unpopular? I don't think he should be in the HHOF. And I am a Leaf fan who has some warm memories of him there. I just think it was a bit of a sympathy vote. I think he was a good coach, but he did seem to wear his welcome out eventually. Still loved a ton by guys like Gilmour. Might have been the wrong guy for Denis Savard when he arrived in Montreal as I think he was misused. There was a bit of a "my way or the highway" about Burns. That bugged me a bit about him. But like I said, he does generate some nice memories. Him running over to Barry Melrose after Gilmour got clocked in 1993 was legendary. I honestly think that had their not been people in the way he would have swung at him. You could see the emotion in his face.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad