Pastrnak reaching another level

Mar 11, 2013
QC
Concussion problems (missed 16 games) just before the draft. Was really, really (like 165 lbs.) skinny. He's beefed up since then.
He also had skating issues which is funny to look back on, I still would've taken him higher as someone who watched him a lot during his draft year

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Won't take it away from him, he is a really good player. No way he maintains his current pace though. Currently shooting WAY above his career shooting % and riding a 104.5 PDO.

It will normalize but I don't think he'll be much worse than an around PPG winger.

He has the same questions as a guy like Ratanen right now though. He can do it playing on a stacked line that gives him a lot of space. How does he do on his own line when he is the best player on the line? When these guys slow down or retire will he fall off a cliff, maintain his production, or just regress back into a good first liner but nothing more?

I will say he was a beast in the playoffs against the Leafs but still, sample size and all. I do think that some of these kids are getting over rated considering their linemates and usage (for example come on, Pasta has two of the best linemates in the league and gets 60% offensive zone starts and getting 3:30 average PP time a game on a stacked unit).

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
He has the same questions as a guy like Ratanen right now though. He can do it playing on a stacked line that gives him a lot of space. How does he do on his own line when he is the best player on the line? When these guys slow down or retire will he fall off a cliff, maintain his production, or just regress back into a good first liner but nothing more?

I will say he was a beast in the playoffs against the Leafs but still, sample size and all. I do think that some of these kids are getting over rated considering their linemates and usage (for example come on, Pasta has two of the best linemates in the league and gets 60% offensive zone starts and getting 3:30 average PP time a game on a stacked unit).

Has it ever occurred to you that he complements his linemates as well, and that maybe, just maybe, that the stacked PP is so successful in part due to him?

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Has it ever occurred to you that he complements his linemates as well, and that maybe, just maybe, that the stacked PP is so successful in part due to him?

Of course it occurred to me, hence why I said multiple times he is a very good player. That does not however mean that he does not also benefit from some of the easiest usage in the league and a ton of PP time with linemates who were stars for a decade before you were even drafted. It also doesn't magically make his shooting% invalid

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Won't take it away from him, he is a really good player. No way he maintains his current pace though. Currently shooting WAY above his career shooting % and riding a 104.5 PDO.

It will normalize but I don't think he'll be much worse than an around PPG winger.

Well I don't think anyone was under the impression that he was going to score 79 goals this year, however if he maintains his career average shooting percentage and shots/game he is projected to end the season at 51 goals. Maybe he gets lucky and scores more, maybe he has a big streak without goals and scores less. Who knows.

Pasta would still be a 70+ point player on a line of his own, he has Pat Kane like talent with the puck when he's feeling it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I get to see McDavid as an Oiler fan, so it take a lot to get excited. Pastrnak is like McDavid to me, you don't know what is going to happen but you know something awesome is going to happen.

Loved his quote in one of the intermissions against us "i finally trust my hands that they can keep up with my feet"

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

I won't take away from him but..... he isn't in Toronto. Right?

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
The future of the league is very bright.

Rantanen
McDavid
Aho
Pastrnak
Marner
Kuznetsov
Point
Pettersson

These guys are already among the league leaders in scoring. This is not including guys who have gotten off to a slow start, or who will emerge in the next year of two.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
I won't take away from him but..... he isn't in Toronto. Right?

You're right. People never bring up these types of things when discussing Leaf players at all. Especially Leaf fans. We as a collective group thought Matthews was going to score 150+ points and 90 goals before he was injured.

You can say that someone is a really good player while pointing out

A) Unsustainable production

B) Favorable usage compared to a lot of players

without just being a salty Leaf fan.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Pasta had the good fortune of playing with two stars Marchand and Bergeron and the beginning of his career. But Pasta is now a star on his own....
Plus he is a joy to watch....a really exciting player.
Looks like a nice team friendly contract for the Bruins for years to come.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
The thing that blows me away is the skys volume. On pace for 383 shots. If he can generate that kind of volume he'll post 50

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Watching him in the playoffs last year, I thought he was the best player and the real driver on his line. Considering his linemates, that's saying something.

It would not surprise me one bit if he is in Art Ross/Richard conversation for years to come.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Of course it occurred to me, hence why I said multiple times he is a very good player. That does not however mean that he does not also benefit from some of the easiest usage in the league and a ton of PP time with linemates who were stars for a decade before you were even drafted. It also doesn't magically make his shooting% invalid

Weird coincidence that Marchand went from a 55pt player to a 85pt player when Pastrnak joined his line, isn't it? Same with Bergeron getting back to PPG.

Also ignores that Pastrnak has also played time on Krejcis line and if I'm not mistaken his production barely changed.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Pasta moved to Sweden to play when he was 17 by himself and did not speak the language. He ended up playing with Nylander on the same line and they became best friends. The team gave him an apartment and he grew up fast, as his widowed mother could not afford to go. David made is his mission to honour his father who was a pro player in Europe. Sadly he passed away before Pasta left to start his career.

He was moved to the 2nd line last game too balance out the scoring with Krech and Heinen. DeBrusk took his spot on the top line, playing his off wing. We can all say Pasta is the most talented player on his line now without debate. Shame he had 2 goals taken away in the last few games but he is tied with Patrick Kane, a guy he loved to watch back in Europe.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
As an 18 year old rookie the kid had a strech 17 points in 19 games with Milan Lucic and Ryan Spooner as his line-mates to try and get the Bruins in the playoffs. Pastrnak elevates those around him offensively. The Bergeron line was a great two-way combo but not this offensive juggernaut till he joined them. They used to be the 2nd line checking line but are now the offensive first line with power-play usage to match.

Reactions: Clode

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad