Past or present players who wear/have worn a toupee

goawaygary*

Thought this would be a fun little subject

lemaire_f_zoom.jpg

RESCH+-+GLEN+CHICO+-+HHOF+

any others? This includes coaches and the like

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Chico Resch up there looks like a plumper version of Sonny Bono. Yikes.... and what jersey is that he's wearing?

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Whalers' defense Paul Hurley

paul-hurley.jpg

http://www.hartfordwhalernation.com/2013/11/03/only-the-in-the-70s-toupee-pres-for-training-camp/

also add Flyers goaltender Darren Jensen to the hair club

photo.php

But Jensen didn’t find levity in everything. He was very self-conscious about his hair, which had betrayed him when he was 19. Froese remembers walking in on his teammate in a hotel room. “I open the door and here’s this guy who’s probably three inches shorter than what I’m used to seeing and looks really old,†Froese laughs. “He’s got his hairpiece in his hand and he’s brushing it.â€

Standing up for his colleague, Froese protected Jensen from the traditional hazing ritual of shaving the rookie. For the rest of the year, the Flyers instead rubbed Jensen’s head for luck.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/49769-Backchecking-Darren-Jensen.html

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

For such a famous story, I've never been able to find a firsthand account of it. Consider that this involved:
- The WHA, which was a bit of a madcap adventure in the first place
- Bobby Hull, a superstar who definitely had additional focus because of him having jumped to the WHA
- A bizarre incident, namely someone having their toupee ripped out

Yet we've had multiple different players (Hanson, Durbano, Goldthorpe) all identified as the culprit in this incident. Durbano is the most popular in stories, but Hanson himself claims he did it.

Do we have any original source material from the 70s that actually confirms this story? Everything I've found is a lot of stories from 1995 and later, mostly from WHA players reminiscing about what a crazy league and time it was.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
For such a famous story, I've never been able to find a firsthand account of it.

Frank Mahovlich points the finger at Hanson so I'll go with that version... though ya, I have seen it claimed that Durbano was the guilty party.

I say Hanson.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
For such a famous story, I've never been able to find a firsthand account of it. Consider that this involved:
- The WHA, which was a bit of a madcap adventure in the first place
- Bobby Hull, a superstar who definitely had additional focus because of him having jumped to the WHA
- A bizarre incident, namely someone having their toupee ripped out

Yet we've had multiple different players (Hanson, Durbano, Goldthorpe) all identified as the culprit in this incident. Durbano is the most popular in stories, but Hanson himself claims he did it.

Do we have any original source material from the 70s that actually confirms this story? Everything I've found is a lot of stories from 1995 and later, mostly from WHA players reminiscing about what a crazy league and time it was.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...M8yAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Du4FAAAAIBAJ&pg=2509,2586087

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Good find Uncle Rotter. Hanson it is.... Hull returning to play... wearing a helmet.

V-2 Schneider

Mar 8, 2004
I know Lemaire had plugs( as I saw them up close), but never saw him wearing a rug.He went to the combover by the early 70's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad