Speculation: Passing the torch? Rinne to Saros?

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Is it finally happening for real? Saros has started 9 of the last 10 games and has a better save percentage and GAA than Peks.
I mean Pekka has been the man here for over ten years, but he is not getting any younger. I feel like maybe Rinne is getting to the end but is happy as he is now leaving the team with a big void, rather instead it’s his protege.
I think Saros is taking over as the guy now. It’s been absolutely amazing having you as our head goalie though for over 10 years Pekka!! A Preds Legend!!
Salute!

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I posted this on Valentines day, and it seemed to be the general feeling on this board, but then Rinne had a couple of good games and everyone said "Not so fast!", but in reality it was true and there's probably not much doubt left now.

I have that gut feeling that the goalies have switched and Saros has pushed ahead of Rinne. But it doesn't feel like when Vokoun or Rinne ascended, it's more like when Dan Ellis took over.

That's to say I feel like Juuse is now the starter of this team and can do an adequate job for a couple of seasons, but he's not a long-term elite answer and should be replaced by Ingram or someone else with real top starter potential as soon as one is available. I also think Saros is better than Ellis, Mason and Hutton.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Saros is the starter. Until he's not.

Rinne is not super impossibly old at 37, but based on some of the goals he has let in this year... it's hard to be optimistic about him bouncing back and taking the job away from Saros ever again. But that's ok. He's probably the perfect veteran backup/mentor for next season. It's cool that he managed to get that goal this year, at least.

But I would suspect Saros will never rest too comfortably in the starters seat. Goalies his size never seem to in the modern NHL? Ingram isn't huge either, but he'll presumably be the next challenger, and over the years they'll just keep lining up to try to take that job. This might not be a terrible thing for us. If Saros can do the job, but is never really looked at as an elite star goalie, then it should keep our payroll a bit lower in the G slot?

Shorter goalies everywhere are pulling for you, Juuse!!!! Any paradigm shift you can inspire will be greatly appreciated!
:yo:

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Ingram isn't huge either, but he'll presumably be the next challenger

Is it just me or is the era of giant goalies winding down? Seems like 6'2/6'3 is about the target these days. Or maybe it's just a cycle where the talent just isn't there in the 6'5+ guys.

18 goalies above 6'3 have played 20 or more games this season.
24 goalies either 6'2 or 6'3 have played in 20 or more
14 goalies below 6'2 have played 20 or more

That's 43% of regular NHL goalies at 6'2 or 6'3, but I'm not sure how it compares to 10 years ago.

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
I really wish we could see what Ingram looks like against NHL competition.
I believe that Saros is the starter now, but as stated above, he seems like the Dan Ellis-type of replacement.
My dad also said something like this and it kinda worries me about Juuse, conceptually. However, on the ice, he’s a dope ass goalie, and he’s really starting to reach that age where goalies become their best, so let’s see how his longevity pans out.

to be quite frank with everyone, I’m ready for a new goalie as well. Have been ever since the finals in ‘17. This team won’t win a cup with Rinne, for whatever reason. I lost every bit of faith after that series. (I am aware of how stellar he was in the Anaheim series) What I really wish is that we could’ve been good back in Rinne’s prime. (With the Vezina year being the outlier) Wonder if we would’ve ever won any.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
This has always been going to happen. Pekka was going to begin to decline and Saros Was groomed to take over. Is this finally it? Well, Pekka isn’t showing many signs of coming out of the funk he’s in. So, I think he’s #2 for the rest of this year and Saros is definitely the man right now unless he breaks down. Then next year is completely an unknown.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
It definitely seems like its Saros's job to lose at this point. I do think Pekka still has an important role down the stretch of this season though since we have four sets of back to backs that are also part of sets of three games in four days so I'd imagine he will get at least four more starts this season. With how close the playoff race is going to be we need him to play well in those games.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It definitely seems like its Saros's job to lose at this point. I do think Pekka still has an important role down the stretch of this season though since we have four sets of back to backs that are also part of sets of three games in four days so I'd imagine he will get at least four more starts this season. With how close the playoff race is going to be we need him to play well in those games.
If he has another terrible game in one of those early back-to-backs, though, and if Saros stays hot... we need every point we can get and I'd be inclined to break the rule on playing a goalie back-to-back games. Saros is young. It's not actually that big a deal to play two nights in a row. Goalies used to do it all the time.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
If he has another terrible game in one of those early back-to-backs, though, and if Saros stays hot... we need every point we can get and I'd be inclined to break the rule on playing a goalie back-to-back games. Saros is young. It's not actually that big a deal to play two nights in a row. Goalies used to do it all the time.

It's not the back to backs alone that concern me but moreso the overall schedule that is. Two nights in a row isn't an issue on it's own but having to play 3 games in four days or 7 games in 11 days is more concerning and that's how our schedule is laid out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Legionnaire11

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Quick question. Does anyone know if Rinne ever backed up Vokoun in a regular season game?

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
The passing of the torch is inevitable. Is it right now? It is until it isn’t. Saros has scraped himself back up to middle of the pack numbers. Rinne is bottom of the league numbers. I don’t think rinne is done quite yet but saros has been better this season without a doubt. I always figured they’d be transitioning this season and next to saros getting the majority of starts... didn’t think it’d come this quick but here we are

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Very very well done sir!
Except... it is slowing down? :huh:
1337599748603873165.jpg

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Swing and a miss, thought about the possibility. Where did you get that chart?
The chart isn't the most accurate one, but it does show the basic point. Voyager is decelerating as it is still affected by the Sun's gravitational well. It is just a Google image. There are many like it, including better ones.

Not that I know the answer to the riddle. I am terrible at those. But I know it's not Voyager anyway! :)

Reactions: Armourboy

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
How much of this is a passing of the torch versus Hynes playing the hotter goalie is debatable. Pekka was in a win/loss/win/loss pattern during January while getting the bulk of the starts and hasn't won consecutive starts since December. The goalie pull at Vancouver set up Juuse for the next game where he proceeded to get the shutout and he's seen the bulk of starts since going 8-4-0 and winning consecutive starts multiple times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad