Pass first d-men

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Obviously the 29-30 rule changes changed things.

I've discussed playmaking centers in the past. But, one thing struck me. Prior to 29-30, there were stay at home d-men like Ching Johnson and there were rushing d-men like Shore and Clancy. The ruashing d-men were very effective goal scorers.

Modern defense includes activating the offense with breakout passes, this wasn't possible until after 29-30. So, what I'm wondering is, who was the first defenseman to really use the breakout pass?

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
I have to pass on that one.
Justg a thought: I don´t think that there was something like "the first" here. When the rule was changed probably all of the coaches urged there players to do jsut that, if not the players thought of it by themselves.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
The thing that strikes me, is that, while assists went up, it seems that goals to assists were still relatively high, and that there was still a clear line between offensive and defensive defenseman. While, 15 years later, there are players like Jimmy thomson and Butch Bouchard who are defensive d-men with solid offensive numbers based solely on passing.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Well, Hap Day went from 6 goals, 6 assists to 7 goals, 14 assists to 1 goal, 13 assists from 1929 to 1931. Of the top point getting defensemen, he seemed to have the biggest shift in goals:assists.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad