Partner Article: Senators Season in Review (Best Coast)

hollywood99

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Hey Sens fans,

We're a new blog and partner with HF and we've been writing season in reviews for all the NHL teams. Next up on our list was your own Ottawa Senators. Please have a look and let us know what you think!

http://bestcoasthockey.wordpress.com/2014/06/18/season-in-review-ottawa-senators/

We know it's a little late, as the Sens season has been over for a while; and we also know that you'll be our toughest critics as we write about your team; but feel free to share all thoughts, good or bad. :)

And most importantly if you do take the time to read the article, thank you, we appreciate it.

Cheers,
Best Coast Hockey

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Hey Sens fans,

We're a new blog and partner with HF and we've been writing season in reviews for all the NHL teams. Next up on our list was your own Ottawa Senators. Please have a look and let us know what you think!

http://bestcoasthockey.wordpress.com/2014/06/18/season-in-review-ottawa-senators/

We know it's a little late, as the Sens season has been over for a while; and we also know that you'll be our toughest critics as we write about your team; but feel free to share all thoughts, good or bad. :)

And most importantly if you do take the time to read the article, thank you, we appreciate it.

Cheers,
Best Coast Hockey

A few notes:

-BM has actually stated to the press that he is going to try to re-sign Michalek.

-Hemsky's departure is confirmed. He turned down the 10 MM for 3 years the Sens offered him and he is gone.

-Cammalleri is the worst possible UFA target. He is haggling over dollars and term in Calgary at the moment. If he is either asking for too much money or too much term there is no way we could or should target him.

-BM likes to target at least one low risk reclamation project during UFA time.

- Da Costa is already confirmed to be playing in the KHL next season. He wanted a one year deal and the Sens refused.

The article is fine but there are some basic errors, particularly in the FA targets section.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Also there are no ties in the NHL anymore and it's been like that for a while now

That really stood out

Still, good job and good luck

hollywood99

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Also there are no ties in the NHL anymore and it's been like that for a while now

That really stood out

Still, good job and good luck

Oh god, what a stupid mistake. Obviously there are no ties haha. I meant to put OT/Shootout loss. Must have slipped back to the 90's for a moment. Thanks for the heads up.

and thanks for the read.

CanadianGuest

Jul 14, 2012
Ontario
I left a comment there, decent review for the casual fan. Like StefanW pointed out in his notes, the more informed fan are going to see the obvious errors.

Good luck, I bookmarked you.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
A few notes:

-BM has actually stated to the press that he is going to try to re-sign Michalek.

-Hemsky's departure is confirmed. He turned down the 10 MM for 3 years the Sens offered him and he is gone.

-Cammalleri is the worst possible UFA target. He is haggling over dollars and term in Calgary at the moment. If he is either asking for too much money or too much term there is no way we could or should target him.

- Da Costa is already confirmed to be playing in the KHL next season. He wanted a one year deal and the Sens refused.

The article is fine but there are some basic errors, particularly in the FA targets section.

Its rumored Hemsky might circle around and come back to the sens if he doesnt get the right ufa offer. At least thats what someone said on hockey central

hollywood99

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
A few notes:

Thanks for the comments. Didn't know about Michalek and I never rule out a former player (Hemsky) until it's clear its over, which it may be. But you never know, they could circle back if Hemsky doesn't like other offers.

I might still disagree on Cammy though, I think he's playing hard ball with Calgary cause they're not on the cusp of the playoffs like the Sens are. Maybe a shot at the playoffs lowers his price.

Appreciate the feedback :)

hollywood99

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
I left a comment there, decent review for the casual fan. Like StefanW pointed out in his notes, the more informed fan are going to see the obvious errors.

Good luck, I bookmarked you.

thanks for the bookmark, really appreciate it. To be honest we'll have to gear up our east coast knowledge as time goes by. It's the reverse east coast bias out here haha

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Its rumored Hemsky might circle around and come back to the sens if he doesnt get the right ufa offer. At least thats what someone said on hockey central

Huh, I didn't hear that. It sounds like a huge stretch considering a) he said he wanted to play with a talented guy like Spezza, and Spezza is leaving, and b) the Sens offer was about 2 MM per season below what he was making.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Huh, I didn't hear that. It sounds like a huge stretch considering a) he said he wanted to play with a talented guy like Spezza, and Spezza is leaving, and b) the Sens offer was about 2 MM per season below what he was making.

Not to mention we're shopping his FA rights.

CanadianGuest

Jul 14, 2012
Ontario

I've heard that and it was based on what Hemsky's expectations were then and what the panel thought Hemsky was truly worth. It was also before the Sens 3/10 offer which might make it a moot point now.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Thanks for the comments. Didn't know about Michalek and I never rule out a former player (Hemsky) until it's clear its over, which it may be. But you never know, they could circle back if Hemsky doesn't like other offers.

I might still disagree on Cammy though, I think he's playing hard ball with Calgary cause they're not on the cusp of the playoffs like the Sens are. Maybe a shot at the playoffs lowers his price.

Appreciate the feedback :)

Bahahahahaha!

I like this guy, he's funny. Can we keep him?

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
The same team minus their entire first line (or 2nd line according to some people), and a one year older Phillips sure is close to the playoffs. :)

One year better Ceci.

One year more healthy Karlsson.

Potential rebound year for Anderson.

Potential breakout for Zibanejad with the new responsibilities.

Possibility that the guys we get for Spezza actually contribute.

Turris has more to give.

Cowen is much better than what he showed last year.

Let's not pretend that we can't improve. Being horribly negative is one thing, being completely blind is another.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
it's also not accurate to say we're losing an entire line. Michalek was poor, and Hemksy played very few games, so we're losing Spezza, not an entire 1st line because we never had that to begin with. And scoring wasn't too much of a problem last season

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
One year better Ceci.

One year more healthy Karlsson.

Potential rebound year for Anderson.

Potential breakout for Zibanejad with the new responsibilities.

Possibility that the guys we get for Spezza actually contribute.

Turris has more to give.

Cowen is much better than what he showed last year.

Let's not pretend that we can't improve. Being horribly negative is one thing, being completely blind is another.
This quote isn't directed towards just you PTM, but Wow, if people actually believe we are going to be a better team next year, better get yer magic dust out now and start making wishes.....

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
Lets hold our horses on Turris, if he has an equivalent season that is a huge success.

Ceci isn't a top 10 pick btw!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad