CFHF Fantasy League Part XV: Lottery Concluded and Realignment Posted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah I just wondered because of his history the last few seasons, but then you look at Yahoo scoring and hes giving you some auto-points.

There's definitely reason for some doubt. But to not keep him would be taking a bigger risk than to keep him, in my opinion.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
He's a keeper. He's entering his prime and has found his niche and has a boatload of confidence. tfong is quick to say it's only been a half-season, but Dubnyk is right among the league leaders in wins with 33. Add to that he's on a team that will be a contender for years to come.

No, I said its a gamble. Much like Anderson and Hutchinson. You don't know if he beats Kuemper next year or not.

He will definitely regress next year from his numbers. He is riding a 0.938 on 32 games played with the wild.

32!

You can't put him in the same category as Price, Rinne and Henrik until you see him do it over a full season of 60.

However you out it, its a gamble. He could stay as a starter or he could go back to his old ways. But he has never historically been that good of a goalie so well see how it shakes out. Remember the he had a good year in the oil then came back down.

Like Gibson whom is having a shakey start but historically he wins and gets better and better. Which is why it doesn't matter to me he isn't very good yet still.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
No, I said its a gamble. Much like Anderson and Hutchinson. You don't know if he beats Kuemper next year or not.

He will definitely regress next year from his numbers. He is riding a 0.938 on 32 games played with the wild.

32!

You can't put him in the same category as Price, Rinne and Henrik until you see him do it over a full season of 60.

However you out it, its a gamble. He could stay as a starter or he could go back to his old ways. But he has never historically been that good of a goalie so well see how it shakes out. Remember the he had a good year in the oil then came back down.

Like Gibson whom is having a shakey start but historically he wins and gets better and better. Which is why it doesn't matter to me he isn't very good yet still.

How does he have 33 wins in 32 games? :laugh:

He had that one year when the Oilers weren't a shambles, then they became a shambles and he went down with them. What also has me believing in him is the fact that this isn't a random sudden epiphany for Devan. He went through a lot of training in the off-season to do with his style and head positioning and everything, and he says it's made a big difference.

I think that is really confirmed by his numbers in Arizona more than his numbers in Minnesota. He's been solid all season, not just since he came to the Wild, and in doing so he's posted much better numbers in both situations than the other goalies who were playing for the same team, in the same situation.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
How does he have 33 wins in 32 games? :laugh:

He had that one year when the Oilers weren't a shambles, then they became a shambles and he went down with them. What also has me believing in him is the fact that this isn't a random sudden epiphany for Devan. He went through a lot of training in the off-season to do with his style and head positioning and everything, and he says it's made a big difference.

I think that is really confirmed by his numbers in Arizona more than his numbers in Minnesota. He's been solid all season, not just since he came to the Wild, and in doing so he's posted much better numbers in both situations than the other goalies who were playing for the same team, in the same situation.

You misread. I said hes played 32 games for the wild with 0.938.

He has 51 games played this year.
32 x0.938 with Wild
19 x0.916 with Arizona

His best year in Edmonton came when he played 38 games.
38 x0.920

Then look what happens when u give him too many games, it goes down.
47 x0.914

His pre-NHL stats are similar too.
Decent stats at ~40 games. Once he hits 50-60 games a season, they go down.

If he does a 0.920 for an entire year at ~60 games, then I will believe in it. But until then, I can't acknowledge him being in the same class as elite goalies. I think he loses mental focus or doesn't have the endurance as a #1. This year slightly different, the guy got resurrected in Arizona and is riding that for a new contract essentially. Playoffs will be a good indicator if he can survive long stints going into next season but I'm pretty 40/60 on it as just being a hot goalie right now.

Now I'm not saying he is going back down to sub 0.900, I think the new way he is training he will settle back into a 0.910-0.915 stat line, similar to what was going on in Arizona. But I've watched Kuemper, the kid is good, and he will certainly want to challenge for his job back over the summer. The starting job will be up for grabs.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
You misread. I said hes played 32 games for the wild with 0.938.

He has 51 games played this year.
32 x0.938 with Wild
19 x0.916 with Arizona

His best year in Edmonton came when he played 38 games.
38 x0.920

Then look what happens when u give him too many games, it goes down.
47 x0.914

His pre-NHL stats are similar too.
Decent stats at ~40 games. Once he hits 50-60 games a season, they go down.

If he does a 0.920 for an entire year at ~60 games, then I will believe in it. But until then, I can't acknowledge him being in the same class as elite goalies.

I don't think workload is the single causal factor on his success, tfong. He's played every single game since the trade. I would hazard a guess that he's played more hockey since then than any other goalie in the league, and his play has been consistently high.

But we'll see, right?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah like I said. I'd gamble him at 40/60 yo be at the 915 level. Something close to 10/90 to repeat on an elite level.

Well, obviously I feel much different. But regardless, if he's around .920 where I'd expect and he's racking up wins next year as I'd expect, that's a win for me.

What I've heard from Wild fans is that he never really needed to provide ridiculous goaltending in order for the team to win. He just needed to not be terrible, which is what Backstrom and Kuemper were early in the year. I like the sound of that. Every other situation he's been in has been the opposite, where the team would only have a chance if he stood on his head. From a Fantasy perspective, the situation he's in in Minnesota is perfect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad