GDT: Part II - Whatever: Bruins choking to habs

member 96824

"14 teams had little to no difference" means 16 did.

14 teams had points percentages that vary by .100 or less either way is what I should have said.

From that year, only Winnipeg, Florida, Colorado, and Dallas saw a true impact....meaning 26 teams didn't. And those 4 weren't exactly the cream of the crop as far as NHL talent goes.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Teams are more likely to lose on the second half of a back to back:

http://gospelofhockey.blogspot.com/2009/01/effect-of-back-to-back-games.html?m=1

This doesn't mean teams don't win-only that if your team is on the second half of a back to back your team is more likely to lose. There was another interesting stat I can across related to the goalies. Playing the same goalie in the back to back games was likely to result in a loss.

Fatigue is part of the game and while I don't have any stats for it-I think more so than back to backs the 3 games in 4 nights combos often seem to bring out the fatigue. I think a team with 2 or 3 days off can weather a back to back better than the team that's playing a lot of closely packed games.

It's silly to say "they're professionals they shouldn't get tired" but they're also human and fatigue is real and fatigue often shows up first with mental errors.

member 96824

and for all the whining, Montreal has 16 back to back games this year...just like the Bruins.

The Blue Jackets have the most at 19.

Kings and Jets have the least at 9.

I fail to see the conspiracy.

Last edited by a moderator:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Does anyone really think the outcome would be different if the Bruins played on a weeks rest instead of back to back nights? Like really? They don't have the skill to match up. No amount of rest is going to make their grinders suddenly skill players. They also have no scoring, so the game is pretty much over once they fall behind by more than a goal.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
With the Bruins depleted of talent and the margin for winning very fine already then any other challenge would surely negatively impact. Not enough talent to take the minutes the first night,of course there will be fatigue the second night,especially later in the game. Throw out the stats for the 48 game season where back to backs was SOP.

member 96824

Does anyone really think the outcome would be different if the Bruins played on a weeks rest instead of back to back nights? Like really? They don't have the skill to match up. No amount of rest is going to make their grinders suddenly skill players. They also have no scoring, so the game is pretty much over once they fall behind by more than a goal.

Last year it was goal posts and refs, this year it's back to backs.

Next year, it will be the game day temperature

member 96824

With the Bruins depleted of talent and the margin for winning very fine already then any other challenge would surely negatively impact. Not enough talent to take the minutes the first night,of course there will be fatigue the second night,especially later in the game. Throw out the stats for the 48 game season where back to backs was SOP.

Currently looking for them but can't seem to find them. I can promise you I have no plans to go through every teams schedule :laugh:

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
and for all the whining, Montreal has 17 back to back games this year...just like the Bruins.

The Devils have the most at 22.

Winnipeg, San Jose, and Colorado have the least at 10.

I fail to see the conspiracy.

I don't think back to backs are any kind of conspiracy.

Back to backs happen more due to scheduling. Teams that have highly used venues often end up with more back to backs (especially the mind the Bruins have where the second game is often at home after a road game). Putting together a schedule for 30 teams in 30 venues can't be an easy task and back to backs are related more to when the venue is in use than a desire to screw over a certain team. I doubt anyone involved in scheduling set out to make every single Bruins/Habs match up this season give the Bruins the second half of a back to back. It's weird that it worked out that way but I think it was by virtue of trying to make the schedules work not a desire to screw the Bruins.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen

If it's a back-to-back game, they are "tired", despite not showing up in the previous game. Anything more than a 24 hr rest is "rust".

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Last year it was goal posts and refs, this year it's back to backs.

Next year, it will be the game day temperature

The sheer amount of excuse making this season is insane. They have literally zero offensive talent in the forward groupings. That's why they lose to good teams, but can beat bad teams, since those teams have no offensive talent either.

I can hardly wait to see what the excuses for tonight will be if they get spanked by the Penguins. It's their 3rd game in 4 nights is the early favorite, but I'm sure we'll also hear about injuries too.

member 96824

I don't think back to backs are any kind of conspiracy.

Back to backs happen more due to scheduling. Teams that have highly used venues often end up with more back to backs (especially the mind the Bruins have where the second game is often at home after a road game). Putting together a schedule for 30 teams in 30 venues can't be an easy task and back to backs are related more to when the venue is in use than a desire to screw over a certain team. I doubt anyone involved in scheduling set out to make every single Bruins/Habs match up this season give the Bruins the second half of a back to back. It's weird that it worked out that way but I think it was by virtue of trying to make the schedules work not a desire to screw the Bruins.

This I completely agree with. Some thing the NHL is in bed with the Habs though and out to get us which is why it's scheduled that way. It's illogical and would completely tear down the league if true and caught.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
The sheer amount of excuse making this season is insane. They have literally zero offensive talent in the forward groupings. That's why they lose to good teams, but can beat bad teams, since those teams have no offensive talent either.

I can hardly wait to see what the excuses for tonight will be if they get spanked by the Penguins. It's their 3rd game in 4 nights is the early favorite, but I'm sure we'll also hear about injuries too.

4 forwards up from the AHL, potentially 5 tonight, 2 top 6 forwards out, 2 of their top 6 defensemen out.

If they win, I'll be pleasantly surprised, but you act like its fair to assess this team as is. That's absurd. Like this will be the final roster or close to it. :laugh:

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011

The team is pretty slammed with injuries and about 1/3 of the team are call ups from Providence or really should still be in Providence.

Yes the team has a dearth of skills players who can score and the few they do have are in the pressbox injured.

I didn't expect this team to beat the Habs and being honest I figure they are going to lose to the Pens tonight too. The team can't score but when Krejci was playing he's been a point per game. Chara's I jury hasn't hurt just the defense but has hurt the PP.

This team is a hot mess and I think it's delusional to pretend like the I juries don't matter. The back half of a back to back doesn't matter when over a third of the team are rookies.

I think the team will probably lose tonight because the Pens are a better team than the one we are going to put on the ice. I said the same thing about the Habs. Can the Bruins win? Yes it's the NHL and anything can happen.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
4 forwards up from the AHL, potentially 5 tonight, 2 top 6 forwards out, 2 of their top 6 defensemen out.

If they win, I'll be pleasantly surprised, but you act like its fair to assess this team as is. That's absurd. Like this will be the final roster or close to it. :laugh:

Nah, I'm not assessing them at this point. I just don't think it makes a difference to piss and moan with excuses. We know Chara is out. We know Marchand and Krejci are out. It's a tough spell for any team, let alone one that has very limited forward upside to start with. I just don't think we need to go out and rehash the excuses like some here are. Back to back nights? That's not why they lost to MTL. They lost because they have nobody up front who can score. Even if you had Marchand and Krejci playing, they were still short of that. So no excuses needed. We all know why. :laugh:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The team is pretty slammed with injuries and about 1/3 of the team are call ups from Providence or really should still be in Providence.

Yes the team has a dearth of skills players who can score and the few they do have are in the pressbox injured.

I didn't expect this team to beat the Habs and being honest I figure they are going to lose to the Pens tonight too. The team can't score but when Krejci was playing he's been a point per game. Chara's I jury hasn't hurt just the defense but has hurt the PP.

This team is a hot mess and I think it's delusional to pretend like the I juries don't matter. The back half of a back to back doesn't matter when over a third of the team are rookies.

I think the team will probably lose tonight because the Pens are a better team than the one we are going to put on the ice. I said the same thing about the Habs. Can the Bruins win? Yes it's the NHL and anything can happen.

You can see my response to Stone Clode, as it pertains to your post as well.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
While I hope the B's win.....I'm definitely playing Fleury in goal on my fantasy team tonight. The game could be good for his GAA. ;)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad