Part 9: [Management, coaching changes] Revolution 9 or the No. 9 Dream, Strawberry Fields Forever

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
It was pretty clear from the onset that Fletcher would not immediately can Hakstol, Knob and Lappy. There has to be a perception of fairness, at least to the outside viewer, even if management has already made up their minds. But I'm not sure who in their right mind believes Hakstol survives Fletcher's assessment and "probationary period" (with Wilson's assistance) over the next couple weeks. It may be that one of Knob or Lappy survives, but doubtful. Seems as though they want the staff to be a complement of the old school (Wilson) and newer age analytics guys. Very likely that they have already communicated with Coach Q and that he wishes to take the holidays to come to a definite decision.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
He was reluctant to make major moves, however it also seemed like Holmgren preferred to fire him than to give him an ultimatum and one last chance to turn things around.

I think that ultimatum should have come after the Islanders blew them out.
While I agree with you, what Holmgren did was more pure. Instead of dictating actions to his manager, he actually let him manage. Because if a trade, or etc., was forced on Hexy and it ended up busting, that creates a weird dynamic estranging Homer, and distancing Scott. I think Homer weighed the inaction as a bigger fault, than the potential reward of a shake-up move. He had nothing to lose firing Hextall, he did if a forced move back fired.

Reactions: JPS

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
"Risin' up, straight to the top
Run Comcast, run the Flyers
I fired Hextall, but I'll not fire Hak
Cause he taught me just how to raise my sack

It's the Eye of the Lizard
It's the thrill of the cash
Risin' up to the challenge of investors
And the last known hockey fan
Can just eat on my jorts
'Cause I'm watching this all with the Eyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyye
Of the Lizard"

h0cbLrL.jpg
I am the Lizard King. I can do anything.

Last edited:

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
@whomever

Several folks said they don't care about the alumni being butt hurt. In a micro sense, that's fine, those players don't get on the ice and either score, or prevent, goals.

But when folks bemoan the Flyers don't have an identity, that''s part of it. Treating the alumni well was a deep part of the culture that got abandoned. Whether that''s a current issue of mentorship, or a hypothetical appeal to FA that''s no longer there, either way, it's an easily attainable concept to achieve, fostering that Flyers family brand. It extends to the Flyers Wives Carnival. Little things current players have mentioned as impressive, that are separate from the salary cap, coaching, and are unique to the Flyers.

Basically, it's short sighted to discontinue a source of goodwill.
The Grinch's heart grew three sizes that day, and the world's greatest character failed. Set out to accomplish a goal, and he failed. But other folks will say he won when his heart grew.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
It was pretty clear from the onset that Fletcher would not immediately can Hakstol, Knob and Lappy. There has to be a perception of fairness, at least to the outside viewer, even if management has already made up their minds. But I'm not sure who in their right mind believes Hakstol survives Fletcher's assessment and "probationary period" (with Wilson's assistance) over the next couple weeks. It may be that one of Knob or Lappy survives, but doubtful. Seems as though they want the staff to be a complement of the old school (Wilson) and newer age analytics guys. Very likely that they have already communicated with Coach Q and that he wishes to take the holidays to come to a definite decision.
we can only hope this is whats happening.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Burke and McLean both saying that when interviewing for a GM job, very common to upper Mgt to tell the incoming GM moves they want to see.

McLean mentioned interviewing for the Minny job and was told that if hired, he needed to trade Gaborik.

Burke said he went in and told the Leafs that it was going to be his 2 hands on the wheel...not theirs. And if they wanted to interfere, he would help them find a different GM.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Someone should have asked him if a hot dog is a sandwich.

We could have some pretty definitive character judgements off of that.

For example, I'd be willing to bet @Starat327 @Captain Dave Poulin and @Tripod will never be successful NHL GM's based on their incorrect hot dog classifications.

Hopefully they made you write "I will not tell lies" on the chalkboard 1,000 times after trying to convince people hot dogs are sandwiches.

SMH

One day we'll look back at hot dog sandwich deniers like you guys and laugh, like we do at flat-earthers.
Someone should have asked him if a hot dog is a sandwich.

We could have some pretty definitive character judgements off of that.

For example, I'd be willing to bet @Starat327 @Captain Dave Poulin and @Tripod will never be successful NHL GM's based on their incorrect hot dog classifications.

Hopefully they made you write "I will not tell lies" on the chalkboard 1,000 times after trying to convince people hot dogs are sandwiches.

SMH

One day we'll look back at hot dog sandwich deniers like you guys and laugh, like we do at flat-earthers.

Oh, jeez. This just in from the Washington Post:

A hot dog is a taco.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m_term=.3e8cfd33de4c&wpisrc=nl_rainbow&wpmm=1

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Fletcher had enough leverage when he took the Flyers job that he's probably has a good deal of independence, if they wanted someone they could control, don't hire someone with a solid resume who is still getting paid from his old job and can wait for a better situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad