Part 7: True North Sports & Entertainment's efforts to acquire an NHL team (Winnipeg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
first i love the history has a backup plan avatar

second at the end of the day yes people will wear their jets jerseys to the games but they will still buy that new jersey for what ever the team is called. Money talks and when they get their new team name and jerseys then they can play in the heritage Classic and debut their 3rd jerseys with the jets name and logo....and make even more money

Retail1LO*

Atalanta? I know we're not that relevant but come onnnnn.

Really? ONE typo, and it warrants an entire post? I can spell backwards better than most folks can forward.

But with all due respect (and that's not much), yes, you are for all intents and purposes, irrelevant.

What really shows that, isn't only that you're a weak draw in your own barn, but when you travel on the road for your little visits to the rest of the NHL...many of THEIR fans can't be troubled to go see their own team play when you're in town. Just sayin'. The numbers don't lie.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/sort/awayAvg

dkehler

Dec 1, 2009
Winnipeg
I am from Winnipeg. I think naming the team the Jets would be a mistake. I understand the sentimentality of using the old name, but I truly believe Chipman would rather create a new lineage. Beyond sentimentality, I don't understand the desire to attach to mediocrity. The WHA history argument only makes sense of most of the fans are in their late 40's and 50's. The name itself isn't even a great one. It was stolen from the football team.

Chipman has demonstrated he can build a brand. I imagine that Chipman has a tough decision. If there is any serious backlash if he doesn't choose the Jets name, then I would question whether they are really hockey fans.

It's not about the desire to attach to mediocrity, whatever that means. It's about instantly reconnecting with people the world over that recognize and are loyal to the "Winnipeg Jets" brand. Keeping the name would instantly give True North a major head start on that front. It takes time to build a good brand, and it is not a triviality. Why mess with something that isn't broken?

Anybody that minimizes or trivializes how much that team meant to people (including the name), I simply don't understand. You can say the name came from the football team, which it did, but what are they going to do; name it "Falcons"? That also comes from a football team and another NHL team from Detroit, I believe. Other suggestions like "Polar Bears" hardly roll off the tongue like Jets does. This is one thing that should definitely be left alone. You're not going to get any backlash if you readopt the Winnipeg Jets name.

Retail1LO*

It's not about the desire to attach to mediocrity, whatever that means. It's about instantly reconnecting with people the world over that recognize and are loyal to the "Winnipeg Jets" brand. Keeping the name would instantly give True North a major head start on that front. It takes time to build a good brand, and it is not a triviality. Why mess with something that isn't broken?

Anybody that minimizes or trivializes how much that team meant to people (including the name), I simply don't understand. You can say the name came from the football team, which it did, but what are they going to do; name it "Falcons"? That also comes from a football team and another NHL team from Detroit, I believe. Other suggestions like "Polar Bears" hardly roll off the tongue like Jets does. This is one thing that should definitely be left alone. You're not going to get any backlash if you readopt the Winnipeg Jets name.

ZERO. There isn't even RISK of a backlash. Now...how much do you anticipate there being if they go with a different name?

The point is...there shouldn't be ANY "backlash" associated with the NHL's return to Winnipeg. It should nothing but loud cheers, lots of tears (of joy), and a metric ****ton of white towels in the stands...all hailing TNSE as the second coming of Christ.

AugustBurnsRed*

Honestly I just want the NHL to come to Winnipeg, Jets or no Jets.

Retail1LO*

AugustBurnsRed

vCash: 500

Since it won't let me quote you, and ONLY you....

I can imagine you feel that way. BUT...if you had a preference, would you want the team named the Jets, or something else?

dkehler

Dec 1, 2009
Winnipeg
ZERO. There isn't even RISK of a backlash. Now...how much do you anticipate there being if they go with a different name?

The point is...there shouldn't be ANY "backlash" associated with the NHL's return to Winnipeg. It should nothing but loud cheers, lots of tears (of joy), and a metric ****ton of white towels in the stands...all hailing TNSE as the second coming of Christ.

I will be supporting the team no matter what, but if they go with something other than "Jets" it will be just a little bit less good than it should or could be. And for what?

AugustBurnsRed*

AugustBurnsRed

vCash: 500

Since it won't let me quote you, and ONLY you....

I can imagine you feel that way. BUT...if you had a preference, would you want the team named the Jets, or something else?

Probably Jets, but it depends. If it's Atlanta moving, then whatever.. name it whatever as long as it's not something super cheesy i.e. Moose. If it's Phoenix moving, then I would much rather they be the Jets.

Pegger5

Jan 9, 2007
Probably Jets, but it depends. If it's Atlanta moving, then whatever.. name it whatever as long as it's not something super cheesy i.e. Moose. If it's Phoenix moving, then I would much rather they be the Jets.

If it is Atlanta that moves it won't be "Jets" and why would it be? Phoenix still has the record book to the old Jets franchise... so it wont happen...

If Phoenix moves to Winnipeg then it may be Jets ... maybe...

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
Really? ONE typo, and it warrants an entire post? I can spell backwards better than most folks can forward.

But with all due respect (and that's not much), yes, you are for all intents and purposes, irrelevant.

What really shows that, isn't only that you're a weak draw in your own barn, but when you travel on the road for your little visits to the rest of the NHL...many of THEIR fans can't be troubled to go see their own team play when you're in town. Just sayin'. The numbers don't lie.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/sort/awayAvg

That is more of a reflection on their division, since they are tied with Carolina and in nearly the same ballpark as Tampa and Florida.

I don't see how you can look at that list and imply the Thrashers are less relevant than other teams.

dkehler

Dec 1, 2009
Winnipeg
If it is Atlanta that moves it won't be "Jets" and why would it be? Phoenix still has the record book to the old Jets franchise... so it wont happen...

If Phoenix moves to Winnipeg then it may be Jets ... maybe...

I'd be willing to bet a substantial sum of money that if a team relocates to Québec City, they will be the Québec Nordiques, and I don't think it will be the Colorado Avalanche that moves there ...

Noeller

Dec 13, 2007
Oil Country
I honestly feel that anyone who complains about whatever name they choose is being a total lunatic and clearly isn't really a hockey fan, but just wants to go back in time to when they were younger.

The bottom line is getting a team back to Manitoba because there are real hockey fans there who can support the team and make it successful, whereas Phoenix and Atlanta clearly don't have enough fans and can't support the team.

The name is completely irrelevant. I grew up, just like the rest of you, going to Jets games all through the 80s and early 90s. We did the "Esks/Bombers in the afternoon, hop across the street and Oilers/Jets in the evening" just like everyone, so I get it. It was fun back in the days of the Jets.

But you know what? Whatever the hell it's called when it comes back this time around, it's gonna be a whole new set of memories for a whole new generation of fans that are just coming up through the ranks, the way we were when we were that age.

I am a fan of hockey....bring NHL hockey to Winnipeg 41 times a year, please.

Retail1LO*

That is more of a reflection on their division, since they are tied with Carolina and in nearly the same ballpark as Tampa and Florida.

I don't see how you can look at that list and imply the Thrashers are less relevant than other teams.

It's pretty easy. Their numbers DO suck, relative to most of the league. That, and I'm against hockey in non-traditional markets, and I like to stir the pot. LOL

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
It's pretty easy. Their numbers DO suck, relative to most of the league. That, and I'm against hockey in non-traditional markets, and I like to stir the pot. LOL

Better numbers than the Flames, slightly worse than the Leafs.

But I guess if your goal is to just pull random stats out of nowhere for the purpose of trolling, mission accomplished for you.

I personally do not understand the blind hatred people have for others based on how popular hockey is in their area.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
I honestly feel that anyone who complains about whatever name they choose is being a total lunatic and clearly isn't really a hockey fan, but just wants to go back in time to when they were younger.

The bottom line is getting a team back to Manitoba because there are real hockey fans there who can support the team and make it successful, whereas Phoenix and Atlanta clearly don't have enough fans and can't support the team.

The name is completely irrelevant. I grew up, just like the rest of you, going to Jets games all through the 80s and early 90s. We did the "Esks/Bombers in the afternoon, hop across the street and Oilers/Jets in the evening" just like everyone, so I get it. It was fun back in the days of the Jets.

But you know what? Whatever the hell it's called when it comes back this time around, it's gonna be a whole new set of memories for a whole new generation of fans that are just coming up through the ranks, the way we were when we were that age.

But why not honour history? You can do that without just trying to relive the past. If you don't have any respect for the name of Winnipeg's most famous hockey franchise and want an NHL team back no matter what they're called, then to me, you're not a real hockey fan who values the heritage of the game. See, that sort of judgement cuts both ways.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
Better numbers than the Flames, slightly worse than the Leafs.

But I guess if your goal is to just pull random stats out of nowhere for the purpose of trolling, mission accomplished for you.

I personally do not understand the blind hatred people have for others based on how popular hockey is in their area.

It's not blind hatred. It's just resentment for what happened in Winnipeg and Quebec in the 1990s, coupled with the stubborn refusal of the NHL to even acknowledge that there are major problems with more than a few franchises. And sorry, one of those clubs with major problems is Atlanta.

It's also galling to some Canadians that the NHL didn't think twice of going back to two previously failed (spin the reasons however you want, the teams both moved) markets in Atlanta and Minnesota, while the league is doing everything under the sun to avoid going back to Winnipeg. And we all know it will be the same deal when it comes time to look at Quebec.

I don't think anyone here hates anybody. Well, aside from Bettman and Daly, of course.:D

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
You would think that a Chicago fan would understand that the fans doesn't show up when the team is bad for several seasons. Has it really been so long since the seasons before and directly after the lockout that you can't remember that the Blackhawks had worse attendance in 2006/2007 than the Thrashers has ever had? Guess short term memory is a blessing sometimes. :shakehead

Guess what, even in Atlanta the fans showed up when the team played well. Who knows what would happen if the team was competitive a couple of seasons in a row...

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
The Thrashers problems are 1 playoff appearance in 11 seasons, and owners that are not interested in putting together a quality product.

And all you need to do is go on twitter or other message boards to see it is hatred, has nothing to do with the past. That is just an excuse people use to behave like jerks.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
You would think that a Chicago fan would understand that the fans doesn't show up when the team is bad for several seasons. Has it really been so long since the seasons before and directly after the lockout that you can't remember that the Blackhawks had worse attendance in 2006/2007 than the Thrashers has ever had? Guess short term memory is a blessing sometimes. :shakehead

Guess what, even in Atlanta the fans showed up when the team played well. Who knows what would happen if the team was competitive a couple of seasons in a row...

Not this silly argument again. Sure, it's a good argument if you ignore the 5+ decades of being one of the premier markets.

dkehler

Dec 1, 2009
Winnipeg

I understand where you're coming from, but running the petition, I have seen countless comments from people that the name does mean something to them. A good brand, which the Winnipeg Jets were and are, is almost priceless. The history of the team is solid, the name flows well and a jet lends itself very well to any number of classic logo ideas. Have you seen the monstrosities that are the logos of the Minnesota Wild and/or the Nashville Predators? Now compare those to classic logos like the Montréal Canadiens or Boston Bruins. That is what True North should be striving for, and it's not simply about not letting go of the past or some such nonsense.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
How is it a silly argument? I'm not saying that the Blackhawks should move. I'm simply pointing out that when the team is bad, the fans don't show. Don't you think so? Or don't you think that the Thrashers would get good attendance if they iced a competitive team several seasons?

Retail1LO*

I'm not ignorant of that at all. We had the worst owner in the history of professional sports. Ever. What's worse than a guy who's bankrupt? Oooh. Oooh. I got it. A guy whose filthy rich and spends money like he's bankrupt. Oh yeah...and doesn't broadcast home games on TV.

But we weren't at risk of losing our team. I'd like to think if we were, there'd be enough people that would show up prior to the playoffs to show interest such that the team wouldn't be moved. Who knows. I could be wrong.

The Coyotes have been competitive a couple seasons in a row...and here we are.

Yeah I know...extenuating circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad