Part 7: True North Sports & Entertainment's efforts to acquire an NHL team (Winnipeg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MHX

Hockey Makes Us...
Nov 2, 2006
The talent pool is much deeper with Atlanta. I'd rather see them move over the Coyotes. They've lost a lot of talent over the years due to market conditions / salary constraints but I don't see that being an issue with Winnipeg / TNSE.

Besides, a Phoenix / Winnipeg rivalry would be interesting.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
did not colangelo state in public in a recording gary lawless played that irregardless, where the yotes are located now, they will never be financially viable...doesnt seem that mh is any hurry to buy something which has lost around 35 mill this year and will expect according to projections to lose around a 100 mill over the next 5 or 6 years...hardly an incentive to buy the yotes....maybe thats the reason no local group has stepped up to the plate.

and as far sam katz comment about phoenix and atlanta...I do think it has exposed him for someone who is totally out of the loop and has absolutely no inside info on anything on what is happening in arizona......let alone bankruptcy laws.....actually it has made him look grossly ignorant of the issue

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
did not colangelo state in public in a recording gary lawless played that irregardless, where the yotes are located now, they will never be financially viable...doesnt seem that mh is any hurry to buy something which has lost around 35 mill this year and will expect according to projections to lose around a 100 mill over the next 5 or 6 years...hardly an incentive to buy the yotes....maybe thats the reason no local group has stepped up to the plate.

About 37 minutes into hour 2 he states he (Colangelo) thinks it can work but it will take effort:

http://azsportstalk.com/2011/04/tue...abe-and-friends-presented-by-the-law-offices/

This is as of Tuesday and the quote is at 38:20

Last edited:

Doug Smail

Mar 17, 2010
Flora and McGregor
Pretty awesome that not even a year ago, 99.9% of people said Winnipeg will NEVER get a team back and now it seems as though 2 teams are fighting to play out of MTSC next season. 2 teams potentially need relocating and only one place to go.

Too bad QC wasnt more prepared. If they had built an arena sooner the Jets could be playing the Nords next season.

Oh well. One day.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Pretty awesome that not even a year ago, 99.9% of people said Winnipeg will NEVER get a team back and now it seems as though 2 teams are fighting to play out of MTSC next season. 2 teams potentially need relocating and only one place to go.

Too bad QC wasnt more prepared. If they had built an arena sooner the Jets could be playing the Nords next season.

Oh well. One day.

QC is quite prepared. The Colisee is still usable until the new arena is built

Sure, it's not perfect but it would get the job done

Fidel Astro

Aug 26, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
www.witchpolice.com
QC is quite prepared. The Colisee is still usable until the new arena is built

Sure, it's not perfect but it would get the job done

Unfortunately, I don't think the NHL is even going to consider Quebec until the arena is finished. I'd love to see the Nordiques back in the league, hopefully in 2012-2013. (Sooner would be great, but I honestly don't think the NHL is going to let them play in the Colisee).

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia

Oh well. One day.

Now there's an abysmal thought. Given the respective losing histories of those two franchises in the NHL (let's not kid ourselves, those two teams stunk for most of their NHL existence), I would hope that when/if Winnipeg and/or QC get franchises that they'd name them something else.

dkehler

Dec 1, 2009
Winnipeg
Now there's an abysmal thought. Given the respective losing histories of those two franchises in the NHL (let's not kid ourselves, those two teams stunk for most of their NHL existence), I would hope that when/if Winnipeg and/or QC get franchises that they'd name them something else.

You'll probably get your wish with respect to the Winnipeg (potential) franchise. Seems kind of counterproductive to me when you consider the instant brand recognition/loyalty the old names still to this day have.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010

The Jets were the class of the WHA, though. The NHL destroyed the franchise for a decade by gutting it as part of the price of joining the league. Connecting the Jets to nothing but failure is really short-sighted and really flat-out wrong.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The Jets were the class of the WHA, though. The NHL destroyed the franchise for a decade by gutting it as part of the price of joining the league. Connecting the Jets to nothing but failure is really short-sighted and really flat-out wrong.

Yes! Considering all the history and love to this day the name has, I really don't get why they won't be the Jets.

I would put big money on the QUE franchise being the Nordiques though.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
Yes! Considering all the history and love to this day the name has, I really don't get why they won't be the Jets.

I would put big money on the QUE franchise being the Nordiques though.

I don't want to underestimate the damage done by Mike "If he's Russian and can skate, I'm drafting him!" Smith, though...:D

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't want to underestimate the damage done by Mike "If he's Russian and can skate, I'm drafting him!" Smith, though...:D

Cmon! There were some real gems there!

Korolev
Zhamnov
Khabibulin
Mironov
Davydov
Ulanov (though not while he was with us)

Some of my all time favourite Jets were the Russians we took a chance on

HumanCheatCode

Jan 15, 2010
Edmonton

The fact they had to get by the dynasty Oilers/Flames of the eighties in the playoffs kind of hides the fact of how good they really were in the NHL. I'd much prefer to see the young team Atlanta has now move just so the new Jets/Oilers rivalry can grow with the players.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
The only problem with your comment is that a large number of the key Coyotes players are either in their mid-30s and/or UFAs that could sign anywhere next year. The most important Coyotes' player, Bryzgalov, is a UFA and wouldn't likely be part of a relocated-Winnipeg team. Some people are more excited about the core group of young players, prospects and picks (7th overall this year) that the Thrashers have to offer than what the Coyotes have in that regard. That view is hardly "hilarious." I tend to agree with it.

GHOST
As a Canucks fan I'm desperately hoping that it's the Coyotes that end up in Winnipeg. I like you guys, and hope you have success with your team, but the prospects and players from Atlanta scare me more. Mostly because it will mean the return of Byfuglien to the West, and probably into the revamped Northwest Division. Just when we thought we were rid of that oaf. :(

Retail1LO*

because they have spent a ton of time & treasure building the Moose brand....

I think naming an NHL team, after a minor league team, would be absolutely stupid. It really would. Whether TNSE wishes to disassociate itself with the history of NHL caliber hockey in Winnipeg or not, I have no idea. However, I don't think there's a single instance in NHL history where sentimentality would be as big as it is here. Long after the team departed for Phoenix, Winnipeg was still home of the Jets.

To draw a parallel, look at the ultimate small market in football. Green Bay. If NFL football ever left Green Bay, and were to return, can you imagine it coming back as anything other than the Packers? Do you think the fans there would really say "We don't care what the name is as long as we have a team?" Some things are just synonymous. Winnipeg = Jets. I'm not even from Winnipeg, and have no stake in the matter. However, I would find it absolutely ridiculous if the team name starts with "Manitoba" and even moreso if it ends with anything other than "Jets".

From a business and marketing standpoint, I can't see how you could willfully steer yourself away from the Winnipeg Jets. Anyone who thinks they wouldn't make as much money because the people there already have Jets merchandise, is Pejorative Slured. Tweak the logo a little, maybe the overall design of the jersey. But I guarantee you, you wouldn't be able to keep anything Jets related on the shelf in that city if they come back. I'm not saying they won't make plenty of loot on a brand new moniker...but I think it'll look bad when everyone shows up to a "Manitoba Maulers" game in their beloved Winnipeg Jets gear. And...they will. I'm sayin' it now.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
I think naming an NHL team, after a minor league team, would be absolutely stupid. It really would. Whether TNSE wishes to disassociate itself with the history of NHL caliber hockey in Winnipeg or not, I have no idea. However, I don't think there's a single instance in NHL history where sentimentality would be as big as it is here. Long after the team departed for Phoenix, Winnipeg was still home of the Jets.

To draw a parallel, look at the ultimate small market in football. Green Bay. If NFL football ever left Green Bay, and were to return, can you imagine it coming back as anything other than the Packers? Do you think the fans there would really say "We don't care what the name is as long as we have a team?" Some things are just synonymous. Winnipeg = Jets. I'm not even from Winnipeg, and have no stake in the matter. However, I would find it absolutely ridiculous if the team name starts with "Manitoba" and even moreso if it ends with anything other than "Jets".

From a business and marketing standpoint, I can't see how you could willfully steer yourself away from the Winnipeg Jets. Anyone who thinks they wouldn't make as much money because the people there already have Jets merchandise, is Pejorative Slured. Tweak the logo a little, maybe the overall design of the jersey. But I guarantee you, you wouldn't be able to keep anything Jets related on the shelf in that city if they come back. I'm not saying they won't make plenty of loot on a brand new moniker...but I think it'll look bad when everyone shows up to a "Manitoba Maulers" game in their beloved Winnipeg Jets gear. And...they will. I'm sayin' it now.

Exxxxactly. TNSE would be crazy to change the name. Don't understand why it would even be considered. There'll be a huge backlash against any name other than Winnipeg Jets.

Retail1LO*

Exxxxactly. TNSE would be crazy to change the name. Don't understand why it would even be considered. There'll be a huge backlash against any name other than Winnipeg Jets.

I know a lot of people might call Winnipeggers "ungrateful" for creating a fuss over the name of the team, since it would seem logical they should be happy just to have a team...but man...how horrible would it be to even be successful in returning a team TO Winnipeg, only to have a number of fans resent you for it?

I can see it now. Atalanta relocates to Winnipeg. Opening day 2012. The Whiteout returns. The crowd SOUNDS like a Jet roaring through the joint. Opponent? Phoenix Coyotes. Shane Doan and Ilya Bryzgalov skate onto the ice in Yotes jerseys.

Epic? Oh yeah.

dkehler

Dec 1, 2009
Winnipeg

I could not agree more. Well said.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I know a lot of people might call Winnipeggers "ungrateful" for creating a fuss over the name of the team, since it would seem logical they should be happy just to have a team...but man...how horrible would it be to even be successful in returning a team TO Winnipeg, only to have a number of fans resent you for it?

I can see it now. Atalanta relocates to Winnipeg. Opening day 2012. The Whiteout returns. The crowd SOUNDS like a Jet roaring through the joint. Opponent? Phoenix Coyotes. Shane Doan and Ilya Bryzgalov skate onto the ice in Yotes jerseys.

Epic? Oh yeah.

I am from Winnipeg. I think naming the team the Jets would be a mistake. I understand the sentimentality of using the old name, but I truly believe Chipman would rather create a new lineage. Beyond sentimentality, I don't understand the desire to attach to mediocrity. The WHA history argument only makes sense of most of the fans are in their late 40's and 50's. The name itself isn't even a great one. It was stolen from the football team.

Chipman has demonstrated he can build a brand. I imagine that Chipman has a tough decision. If there is any serious backlash if he doesn't choose the Jets name, then I would question whether they are really hockey fans.

thenextone

Mar 19, 2005
New York City

Quebec won the Cup the year they moved to Denver. All franchises go through growing pains and the Nords had just emerged from theirs - one year too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad