Part 5: True North Sports & Entertainment's efforts to acquire an NHL team (Winnip

Status
Not open for further replies.

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
Looks like Budweiser is also getting in on the return of the Jets....

Link

Sorry tried to post the vid right on the post but couldn't get it working

screengrab.jpg

:sarcasm:

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
All right, J93 - let's talk about Winnipeg in this thread since its the Winnipeg thread.

Now, I'm all about discussion so let's discuss: First off your claim regarding "delusions".

No need to PM a mod to discuss what is already a viable topic for this thread, and how it relates to TNSEs efforts to secure & Support an NHL franchise.

Go for it, lay it all out. What are these "delusions" exactly?

edit: I wanted to add Im not trying to single you out or anything - this isnt anything antagonistic; I do respect your posts as well.

Last edited:

TRVIPERS

Sep 26, 2006
Home of the Jets
The problem with waiting to announce, when they have already consummated a deal to relocate, is leaks will be nearly impossible to control. If TNSE did in fact own the team, they would need to put many things into motion locally. Things get around quickly in Winnipeg.

Well,this pretty well sums up what I expected.

"It is pretty clear, given the paltry attendance at Coyotes games over the years, that if NHL commissioner Gary Bettman decides in the next week the bond sale is never going to happen and announces the team is headed to Winnipeg, the Coyotes attendance will crater. The team is averaging an announced crowd of 11,664 fans per game right now, which is 29th among the NHL’s 30 teams.

Announcing a move would see that number fall quickly. As the team owner, even though the Glendale taxpayers are covering the first $25-million in this season’s losses (which are said to be headed toward $40-million), it would not be good business for the NHL to do anything to hurt ticket sales.

So even though the NHL may have already decided this turkey is not going to fly, don’t expect an admission until no more tickets have to be sold.

Oh, by the way, about that $25-million, which the Glendale politicians took out of an account earmarked for expenses in keeping their city liveable. Hulsizer promised to hand that over to the city once he buys the team, so no sale means the NHL is entitled to keep it.

And good luck to the city if it tries to get it back from the NHL. So goodbye Coyotes and goodbye

another $25-million for good measure."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...y/nhl-keeps-winnipeg-waiting/article1939328//

Last edited:

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Well,this pretty well sums up what I expected.

"It is pretty clear, given the paltry attendance at Coyotes games over the years, that if NHL commissioner Gary Bettman decides in the next week the bond sale is never going to happen and announces the team is headed to Winnipeg, the Coyotes attendance will crater. The team is averaging an announced crowd of 11,664 fans per game right now, which is 29th among the NHL’s 30 teams.

Announcing a move would see that number fall quickly. As the team owner, even though the Glendale taxpayers are covering the first $25-million in this season’s losses (which are said to be headed toward $40-million), it would not be good business for the NHL to do anything to hurt ticket sales.

So even though the NHL may have already decided this turkey is not going to fly, don’t expect an admission until no more tickets have to be sold.

Oh, by the way, about that $25-million, which the Glendale politicians took out of an account earmarked for expenses in keeping their city liveable. Hulsizer promised to hand that over to the city once he buys the team, so no sale means the NHL is entitled to keep it.

And good luck to the city if it tries to get it back from the NHL. So goodbye Coyotes and goodbye

another $25-million for good measure."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...y/nhl-keeps-winnipeg-waiting/article1939328//

Now, If i might expand on my original thoughts, i don't think it would be too difficult to keep things quiet for 3.5 weeks until the end of the Coyotes regular season.

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
GSC2K2 wrote:
Holds her own?

I held off on listening to that interview, because at the end of the day it matters little, but I had a few minutes, so ...

This is true Monty Python Black Knight material, when all these folks suggest that she held her own and that the interviewers were jokes or whatever the appellation du jour is.

Olsen was positively dismantled from start to finish. At the end, she was actually pulling her version of a Bettman, making sarcastic little remarks to the hosts who were destroying her every vacant talking point.

I especially loved the part where she was talking about the "creativity" of Glendale residents in bringing concerts or "ice capades" to Jobing.com, as if all you need to get some concerts is a little gumption and some "creativity". It reminded me of the "hey, let's put on a show!!!" attitude of '50s movies with Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello.

Laughable.

For the record, Ms. Olsen is a career political "person" who has pretty much never held a real job in private enterprise in her adult life. You cannot really appreciate business from inside the GOP cocoon of the Cato Institute (and if you think Goldwater is rightwing ... well, they are, but Cato gives them a run for their money) and GWI.

Edit: One more thing. As I asserted many pages ago, this nonsense of "OMG, hundreds of pages still being delivered" was utter nonsense. Drafts of the MUDA, and the parking agreements. Rubbish it was, and rubbish it remains.

You, sir, have BALLS of steel! And I mean that as a compliment. :laugh:

I will share with you by DM, if you like, some recent e-mail exchanges I have had with Mr. Bolick. I'd post them here but I fear 10 pages or more of, "Oh, yeah? Well......." would ensue and his words would fall into the abyss that is these threads.

Developing a dialogue with one of the involved parties? What a concept. Certainly of no interest to many here who will demand a "link" to my private e-mail correspondence. :D

Hint: direct taxpayer subsidies to all private for-profit, as well as all non-profit religious schools = good. A conflict with a certain 18th century US document? Certainly not. :amazed:

-------------------------------------

Coach wrote:
Wouldn't people have to start buying tickets before they could stop doing so. The team is already losing 40 million dollars this year who are all these people who are going to stop buying tickets.

Ask Shoalts. He's the one that said attendance would "crater" and Yotes fans would stop buying tickets if the NHL announced the sale now. He also said that losses are already approaching $40M while endorsing that announcing a relo sale would be bad business for the NHL.

Last edited:

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa

I am not sure why the players think it's a good idea to whine about how moving sucks. We all know that it can be difficult for people at a personal level. Now, if I had the opportunity to make a few million dollars per year, I think I could suck it up. There is no upside for them to speak publicly about it. If they do move, they create resentment in their new location. You know what you are getting into when you play professional sports. You get the privilege of making 10-100x what most people make, and you may have to relocate.

Dado

Realistically, how full and at what prices is the rink going to have to remain for the Jets Pt. Deux to avoid subsequent relocation? Ballpark seems to be around $1M in gate/game, curious what others think.

Wham City

Oct 27, 2006
Whistler
These were the numbers HNIC used to illustrate the NHL's viability in Winnipeg.

Not sure how they compare to #'s others have run around here.

Ticket Sales: $45M
Suite Sales: $10M
Broadcast: $19M
In Arena Sales: $15M
Revenue Sharing: $13M

Total: $102M

They went on to say TNSE brings in $10M from concerts/shows/events annually, it wasn't clear if that was profit or revenue.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Realistically, how full and at what prices is the rink going to have to remain for the Jets Pt. Deux to avoid subsequent relocation? Ballpark seems to be around $1M in gate/game, curious what others think.

FYI, the Coyotes had just over $13MM in ticket revenue for the entire season prior to bankruptcy (excluding suite revenue). That works out to just over $300,000 per game for 41 games (i.e., assuming $0 for pre-season).

Also, for the last season we have data for 2007-08, 19 NHL teams or almost 2/3rds of the league had gate revenue of under $1MM per game. Of the teams that made $1MM or over, 6 of 11, more than 1/2, were the Canadian teams; the other 5 were large USA markets.

In that same year:

-- all 6 Canadian teams made $1.2MM or above per game;
-- 19 of the 24 American teams made less than $1MM per game;
-- 15 teams, or 1/2 the league, made $800,000 or less per game;
-- 10 teams made $700,000 or less;
-- 6 teams made $550,000 or less.

http://www.rodneyfort.com/PHSportsE...omeExpense/NHLTicketRevTorStar.com5-30-08.pdf

GHOST

wpgJetsfan

Dec 24, 2010
These were the numbers HNIC used to illustrate the NHL's viability in Winnipeg.

Not sure how they compare to #'s others have run around here.

Ticket Sales: $45M
Suite Sales: $10M
Broadcast: $19M
In Arena Sales: $15M
Revenue Sharing: $13M

Total: $102M

They went on to say TNSE brings in $10M from concerts/shows/events annually, it wasn't clear if that was profit or revenue.

Correction it was 15 Million from Concerts/shows/events.

I read an article that said 70 Million. So now we have a range of 70-117 Million in Revenue. So basically double to almost triple the Revenue that Jobbing.com brings in.

bleuet

I think this is what you were trying to do, Benny:

Sorry guys, this is'nt happening in Winnipeg, this is Quebec city. At 00:12, signs reads MATCH CE SOIR.

You don't have this in Winnipeg do you? :sarcasm:;)

Ouch, preparing myself for some punches from my friends to the west :laugh:

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
Correction it was 15 Million from Concerts/shows/events.

I read an article that said 70 Million. So now we have a range of 70-117 Million in Revenue. So basically double to almost triple the Revenue that Jobbing.com brings in.

Take revenue sharing out for starters. No way they're eligible for revenue sharing after taking in $89 million.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
Sorry guys, this is'nt happening in Winnipeg, this is Quebec city. At 00:12, signs reads MATCH CE SOIR.

You don't have this in Winnipeg do you? :sarcasm:;)

Ouch, preparing myself for some punches from my friends to the west :laugh:

It's in St. Boniface. :sarcasm:

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
How about comparing it to an arena that isn't home to a bankrupt franchise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad