Part 5: True North Sports & Entertainment's efforts to acquire an NHL team (Winnip

Status
Not open for further replies.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I tend to agree,I think this whole fiasco will not be officially announced as resolved, one way or another, for a fair bit of time yet.

The problem with waiting to announce, when they have already consummated a deal to relocate, is leaks will be nearly impossible to control. If TNSE did in fact own the team, they would need to put many things into motion locally. Things get around quickly in Winnipeg.

debar

Mar 9, 2011
Winnipeg
The problem with waiting to announce, when they have already consummated a deal to relocate, is leaks will be nearly impossible to control. If TNSE did in fact own the team, they would need to put many things into motion locally. Things get around quickly in Winnipeg.

I agree, things like that will not stay under wraps for long in Winnipeg. The biggest small town kind of gossip goes around. Everybody here has a cousin named source.

David_99

Jan 16, 2005
Moncton, NB
they wont want to overshadow the playoffs league-wide with this.

my guess is they pull the plug, publicly, sometime in april if they cant get this deal in phoenix to work. They will say something along the lines of "we will begin exploring our other options".

Then, after the playoffs, they will announce that the team is now in winnipeg.

The Yotes are only 2 points up on the 9th and 10th place teams and haven't been too hot lately (can't blame them with all this going on). I wonder what would happen if they missed the PO. The NHL wouldn't have to worry about dwindling crowds and just have to weigh overshadowing the playoffs against giving the new owners enough time to prepare and promote ect. Surely something would leak during the Playoff months.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
they wont want to overshadow the playoffs league-wide with this.

my guess is they pull the plug, publicly, sometime in april if they cant get this deal in phoenix to work. They will say something along the lines of "we will begin exploring our other options".

Then, after the playoffs, they will announce that the team is now in winnipeg.

I would agree with that exact strategy but there's way too much attention being paid in Winnipeg for this to happen as quietly as the NHL and TNSE would prefer. Some leaks will be inevitable and progress on a potential sale will be out there.

There are probably people in Winnipeg sifting through garbage bags coming out of TNSE's offices and trying to put shredded paper back together.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
If Phoenix ends up moving back to Winnipeg, I wonder if that group that wanted to purchase the Coyotes and play games in Saskatoon might be interested in buying the Moose and moving them there. Saskatoon or Regina seem like cities that would support pro hockey. If they support them anywhere near as much as they do the Roughriders, that team would be great.

Puckschmuck*

If Phoenix ends up moving back to Winnipeg, I wonder if that group that wanted to purchase the Coyotes and play games in Saskatoon might be interested in buying the Moose and moving them there. Saskatoon or Regina seem like cities that would support pro hockey. If they support them anywhere near as much as they do the Roughriders, that team would be great.

Saskatoon and Regina are die-hard WHL towns. I doubt they would give up the Pats or Blades for an AHL team. And there is no way either city could support both.

I think Fargo would be a great town for our new affiliate team. It's 3 hour straight-shot drive down Hwy 75/I-29, and Fargo was Jets territory back in the day. Plus, they have a great arena that seats around 10K (I think).

Fargo would be my choice.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Saskatoon and Regina are die-hard WHL towns. I doubt they would give up the Pats or Blades for an AHL team. And there is no way either city could support both.

I think Fargo would be a great town for our new affiliate team. It's 3 hour straight-shot drive down Hwy 75/I-29, and Fargo was Jets territory back in the day. Plus, they have a great arena that seats around 10K (I think).

Fargo would be my choice.

the new fargo arena seats 5k and has a USHL team there.

Klaus

Teemu!
May 8, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
I was just over on Edmonton's site looking at their thread regarding Winnipeg's potential return to the NHL. BAsed on many of the comments, I am disappointed we are not getting more support from our neighbours to the west. :(

Read through a thread on calgarypuck about a potential NHL return to Winnipeg and got the same impression from some posters there as well. Whatever, just don't mind them.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010

this whole thing has been a lesson in how the press works....they essentially only report official news releases....it amazes me how TNSE has been able to keep everything under wraps, simply by not talking about it....everyone in the city is talking about whats going on and what is often considered common knowledge still has not found its way into main stream media.

i actually think they could easily keep a relocation agreement hidden.

Puckschmuck*

the new fargo arena seats 5k and has a USHL team there.

I thought they played out of the Fargodome, which is substantially larger? Unless there is another arena like you suggest for only 5k? Perchance I'm confused.

Mike in MN

Mr Bandgeek
Nov 25, 2008
Gunflint Trail
I believe they may have mistaken it for the arena in Grand Forks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Engelstad_Arena

But I cannot be certain.

It seats approx. 11k

Yup, the Ralph is in Grand Forks. It's the home of the University of North Dakota's Fighting Souix WCHA hockey program. I don't think an AHL team and a Div 1 college program could both thrive. Duluth would have the same problem.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
this whole thing has been a lesson in how the press works....they essentially only report official news releases....it amazes me how TNSE has been able to keep everything under wraps, simply by not talking about it....everyone in the city is talking about whats going on and what is often considered common knowledge still has not found its way into main stream media.

i actually think they could easily keep a relocation agreement hidden.

The agreement is not the hard part. If they tried to wait until May to announce it, TNSE would be hauling ass to ramp up for the upcoming season. Merchandising, advertising, and all the related supplies. The hiring for supplemental staff etc.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I thought they played out of the Fargodome, which is substantially larger? Unless there is another arena like you suggest for only 5k? Perchance I'm confused.

The Fargodome's primary tenant is North Dakota State football...I don't know how well it would work to turn it into a rink, especially during football season. That would be a hell of an endeavor, to say nothing of how miserable those sight-lines would be.

There was talk of adding onto the Fargodome to add a basketball court connected to it...but I don't think anything has moved forward there in a while (at least I haven't heard anything about it...can't say I follow the goings on in Fargo all that often...).

2944815263_bf933c885b.jpg

That is not a hockey arena. Fargo may be an option, but not there.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.

Scheels Arena opened in 2008 and has a capacity of 5,000, including 40 suites and club seats. The average attendance in the AHL is about 5,000. I'm not sure if Fargo would be interested in an AHL team, but I think the arena would suffice.

up_hockey_3080_lr.jpg

GHOST

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!

I agree, things like that will not stay under wraps for long in Winnipeg. The biggest small town kind of gossip goes around. Everybody here has a cousin named source.

Loose lips sink ships eh? :naughty:

I wouldn't be so sure of a leak. There are very few in the know over at TNSE, and I can attest they are "rocks". Not talkin' at all.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Read through a thread on calgarypuck about a potential NHL return to Winnipeg and got the same impression from some posters there as well. Whatever, just don't mind them.

There's a real phenomenon of transplanted Manitobans living in Alberta that love to thumb their noses at Winnipeg.

I understand that's a big generalization on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's where some of that dissent is coming from. Anecdotally speaking, I've seen alot of that.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Loose lips sink ships eh? :naughty:

I wouldn't be so sure of a leak. There are very few in the know over at TNSE, and I can attest they are "rocks". Not talkin' at all.

It's not the talking. It's the doing that would cause the problems. If they indeed purchased the team, they would need to start doing. That activity would be hard to keep quiet.

Retail1LO*

Can you guys imagine what'll happen if it's already been decided on the down-low that this team is going to Winnipeg next season, and this team makes a deep run into the playoffs? What if they win it all, then pick up and leave? Who would go to the parade? What a mess that'd be.

Fidel Astro

Aug 26, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
www.witchpolice.com
Just saw this, thought I would share it. These guys certainly aren't my favourite group, but they're getting a lot of buzz (recent article in Maclean's magazine on aboriginal hip-hop, for example), and this video has already been seen 600,000+ times.

Check out all of the Jets logos here. It's not the only local music video with prominent Jets paraphernalia either.

Benny27

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Looks like Budweiser is also getting in on the return of the Jets....

Link

Sorry tried to post the vid right on the post but couldn't get it working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad