Part 4: True North Sports & Entertainment's efforts to acquire an NHL team (Winnipeg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I'd be fine with trying to "upgrade" Milwaukee. Wisconsin is a hockey state and there'd be a couple natural rivalries right off the bat with Chicago and Minnesota but that proximity with Chicago would probably cause significant roadblocks.

They're outside of the 65-mile no-fly-zone, so they're okay. Though competing with 75 years of history just down the highway could definitely prove difficult.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Isn't it 50 miles?

I thought it was 65 miles, but being from Hamilton and having dealt with that issue in the last few years, I'll defer to your expertise.

And wouldn't a 50 mile radius around Milwaukee and another around Chicago intersect each other seeing as the cities are about 90 miles apart?

That's a good point, and I didn't think of that. The only major (using the term loosely) city that falls into this territory is the teeming metropolis of Racine (population 80,000). Going the easy route, a potential Milkwaukee franchise could probably yield that territory to the Blackhawks (though being on the Wisconsin side, it may not go over terribly well).

Anyway, let's not get this too far away from Winnipeg - though if the Jets do return, it'd be nice to have a team in Milwaukee or Madison to give Winnipeg another close geographical rival (by comparison)

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
What's with all the talk about other relocation options on the Phoenix thread?

1) Winnipeg was the only city mentioned on the leaked memo from Garry Bettman

2) Winnipeg has the only mixture of an arena and stable ownership group with whom the NHL has had consistent talk over the last 8 years.

If the Coyotes are indeed relocated, the only way it's not Winnipeg is if True North doesn't front a competitive bid.

BrianSTC

May 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Off-topic but a small correction...

Toronto has 2.7 million people, making it the biggest city on the Great Lakes and the 4th largest in North America (1. Mexico City 2. NYC 3. LA).

Even Toronto's western suburb, Mississauga, has a population of 700,000 making it one of the biggest suburbs in North America and the 4th largest city on the Great Lakes (1. Toronto 2. Chicago 3. Detroit).

So I would argue that Southern Ontario meets that definition fine. If you look at a city like Dallas, which has a similar metropolitan population to Toronto, the city itself only has 1.1 million people. I think the reason you see more sprawl in Southern Ontario then in other Canadian cities is just the fact that Toronto is much bigger then most cities in Canada.

I have Chicago's population at 2.85 million.

wpgJetsfan

Dec 24, 2010
When the NHL comes back to Winnipeg next season, who should drop the Ceremonial puck?

My Vote would be for Thomas Steen. He retired and decided to stay in Winnipeg. It would be very deserving.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia

2) Winnipeg has the only mixture of an arena and stable ownership group with whom the NHL has had consistent talk over the last 8 years.

If the Coyotes are indeed relocated, the only way it's not Winnipeg is if True North doesn't front a competitive bid.

For the sake of "not getting hopes up" and not getting a media frenzy ready.

Winnipeg is #1 on the relocation destination list.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
When the NHL comes back to Winnipeg next season, who should drop the Ceremonial puck?

My Vote would be for Thomas Steen. He retired and decided to stay in Winnipeg. It would be very deserving.

Thomas Steen, Darcy Olson (GWI), and Phil Lieberman ( for just being Phil ) should drop the puck. :laugh:

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver

I think True North is in a position to negotiate a bit, based on the disclosure that the team's annual losses have increased to around $40M and with knowledge that NHL has to move fast.

However - if they push too hard, Kansas City (Sprint Center) and Las Vegas (MGM Grand Garden Arena) could immediately host NHL games if suitable owners stepped forward. If Paul Allen had an interest, Portland could also immediately host an NHL team.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver

Bobby Hull, Thomas Steen, Dale Howerchuck, Randy Carlyle, Mike Keane, Darcy Olsen :sarcasm:

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.

Don't pay any attention to that. I wouldn't worry. Things to keep in mind:

1) The NHL and TNSE already negotiated a deal last year this time to bring the Coyotes to Winnipeg. The team would be in Winnipeg right now if COG didn't step up at the last possible moment with the $25MM to cover losses for this season.

2) TNSE continues to prepare for the NHL for next season in numerous ways. Big plans will be announced for the SHED district the minute any announcement of the NHL return to Winnipeg. They are spending a lot of money to get prepared. They wouldn't be doing that if the NHL was simply stringing them along.

3) TNSE has been working closely with the NHL behind the scenes for years to make this happen.

4) There's a reason Winnipeg's name and only Winnipeg's name keeps getting mentioned as THE relocation option for the Coyotes in the press.

5) I listened to the press conference by Bettman from yesterday. Bettman was responding directly to a reporters question. It wasn't one of his key talking points. My impression is that he did not want to take the focus away from Phoenix given the current situation and the location he was at by discussing relocation options at this time. That was not the purpose of his press conference.

Does that mean that Winnipeg 100% will have a NHL team for next season. No, a team must become available and the NHL does not leave a market if an owner steps up to keep a team in its current market. I am confident that TNSE will get the first call -- and answer that call -- if a team becomes available.

GHOST

WPG Avsfan

Jan 14, 2011
To add to GHOSTofMAROONSroad post, just some rumors (just rumors no confirmation) I have heard:

• There were a couple comments that Munzie had confirmed the move
  • The MTS center has been renovating the boxes
  • There is some plans for 1500 seats added in a 3rd balcony like Edmonton (not sure how)
  • There was apparently a message in the light banner circling the MTS center that said something like from 1994 to 2011 we're back.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I think True North is in a position to negotiate a bit, based on the disclosure that the team's annual losses have increased to around $40M and with knowledge that NHL has to move fast.

However - if they push too hard, Kansas City (Sprint Center) and Las Vegas (MGM Grand Garden Arena) could immediately host NHL games if suitable owners stepped forward. If Paul Allen had an interest, Portland could also immediately host an NHL team.

Wouldn't TNSE have to sell the Manitoba franchise if they acquire an NHL Team? Wouldn't look good PR Wise IF yuou don't sell the primary tenant you already have and if it fails.... Winnipeg is right back where they were prior to the demolition of Winnipeg Arena by building MTS to have a tenant there ready to go.......

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg

It HAS to be Mark Chipman. Without him, we are still playing out of the Winnipeg Arena like Quebec is with the Coliseum.

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Don't pay any attention to that. I wouldn't worry. Things to keep in mind:

1) The NHL and TNSE already negotiated a deal last year this time to bring the Coyotes to Winnipeg. The team would be in Winnipeg right now if COG didn't step up at the last possible moment with the $25MM to cover losses for this season.

2) TNSE continues to prepare for the NHL for next season in numerous ways. Big plans will be announced for the SHED district the minute any announcement of the NHL return to Winnipeg. They are spending a lot of money to get prepared. They wouldn't be doing that if the NHL was simply stringing them along.

3) TNSE has been working closely with the NHL behind the scenes for years to make this happen.

4) There's a reason Winnipeg's name and only Winnipeg's name keeps getting mentioned as THE relocation option for the Coyotes in the press.

5) I listened to the press conference by Bettman from yesterday. Bettman was responding directly to a reporters question. It wasn't one of his key talking points. My impression is that he did not want to take the focus away from Phoenix given the current situation and the location he was at by discussing relocation options at this time. That was not the purpose of his press conference.

Does that mean that Winnipeg 100% will have a NHL team for next season. No, a team must become available and the NHL does not leave a market if an owner steps up to keep a team in its current market. I am confident that TNSE will get the first call -- and answer that call -- if a team becomes available.

GHOST

I honestly don't see how this is going to get done in Phoenix. Even if Glendale sells the bonds, Goldwater will file an injunction on the transfer of the bonds to Hulsizer, which would be leave the NHL as the owner until it is determined if the sale of the bonds is against Arizona state law. Goldwater still believes it is.

Goldwater IS NOT budging

To me, the writing's on the wall in Phoenix. Why Garry is going to wait until April-May to announce it, I will never understand. Maybe it's because the NHL is on the hook for the extra losses this season?

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
To me, the writing's on the wall in Phoenix. Why Garry is going to wait until April-May to announce it, I will never understand. Maybe it's because the NHL is on the hook for the extra losses this season?

Naturally the NHL will want to minimize the losses. Don't be surprised to learn, when the full stroy and truth come out, that the NHL actually pulled the plug in the middle of Februrary when the Bonds failed to sell but kept the decision under a tight wrap.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
It HAS to be Mark Chipman. Without him, we are still playing out of the Winnipeg Arena like Quebec is with the Coliseum.

Good choice he is a great guy,loves the city and has done alot for it. I have no problem seeing this guy make money because he will invest it all back into the community. But knowing the guy a bit he is super modest and will step into the background and I could see them doing a Bobby Hull,Dale Hawerchuk,Thomas Steen and Maybe Teemu Selanne if he retires

dkehler

Dec 1, 2009
Winnipeg
To add to GHOSTofMAROONSroad post, just some rumors (just rumors no confirmation) I have heard:

• There is some plans for 1500 seats added in a 3rd balcony like Edmonton (not sure how)
  • There was apparently a message in the light banner circling the MTS center that said something like from 1994 to 2011 we're back.

They have been renovating the press box. That much we all know.

Mark Chipman has been very clear that there will be no seating expansion. He has hinted that the luxury boxes could be subdivided as they are rather large (16 seats).

The message you are referring to on the power ring referred to the Manitoba Moose, nothing more.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I see you are relatively new here so I will try not to roast you too bad :)

By rumours do you mean **** you just pulled out of your butt?

There will be NO additional seats. This has been addressed time and time and time again

No one has confirmed any move.

There is absolutely NO way that message ever appeared for so many reasons:
A> TNSE has been very respectful of the process and would not screw that up now.
B> The Jets left in 1996
C> Why would they do that when they have a Moose team that is heading to the playoffs, and out of respect for a league that has been very good for Winnipeg in the NHL's absence.

I think you might be right about the boxes being split but that hasn't happened yet. The press box however has been renovated

WpgChris

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg/Maple Ridge

- Stephen Harper should be in attendance, provided that there's no massive crisis to attend to at that point in time.
- Selanne should be present, given that he doesn't play another NHL season... and if he does, he should definitely end it in Wpg.
- I would love to see the team roll out in the old Jets jerseys and then swap them for their brand new ones for the crowd of 15,015 to see. :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad