Part 4: True North Sports & Entertainment's efforts to acquire an NHL team (Winnipeg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
My understand is Daly didn't refute anything, but merely made a completely vague statement that could mean absolutely anything.

That is Daly's job. If people find things out before the league has addressed them.....say something that translates to "We're neither here nor there"...

Daly is great at it.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Huge joy to take from this....

Meaning....the rink was built with inadequate press boxes for any level of hockey that is followed by the media.

Pointless article. I might start posting articles about how my local rink is upgrading the Junior B dressing room to include 'professional calibre' exhaust systems.

If you believe they are expanding the press box to hold 150 people for AHL hockey, I don't know what to say to you about that. However, given your often stated skepticism regarding the topic of this thread, I think you are going to be in for a huge shock sooner rather than later. ;)

GHOST

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
My understand is Daly didn't refute anything, but merely made a completely vague statement that could mean absolutely anything.

Vague, like this?:

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/morning_call/2011/01/nhl-glendale-dispute-coyotes-bond-story.html

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly also said the report from a Toronto radio station was not accurate.

Toronto sports radio commentator Bob McCown said Wednesday that Glendale’s public bond offering related to the Coyotes sale was unsuccessful and the city would now look to private investors.

Daly told the Winnipeg Free-Press the assertion “was totally falseâ€.

I know we'd like to think that HF Boards are the first place anyone would go to leak, or verify/deny claims made in, a story, but we're not that significant.

Better to wait it out awhile than to jump to conclusions. ;)

Dado

For a bond sale to "fail" it has to be first put up for sale, which hasn't happened. Daly's comment is correct without addressing the underlying issue.

As usual, he has effectively said nothing. And that's fine, it's part of his job.

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
For a bond sale to "fail" it has to be first put up for sale, which hasn't happened. Daly's comment is correct without addressing the underlying issue.

As usual, he has effectively said nothing. And that's fine, it's part of his job.

So would you call McCown irresponsible for spreading a false story? Can his "reporting" be trusted in the future since he claimed the bond sale failed when, as you say, it "hasn't happened?"

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
People fail to notice that point, Peter. THE richest owner in all of North American pro sports. Yes, that includes the NFL, NBA, MLB...

If I were a betting man (pun intended), Gary B. badly wants him aboard.

Thomson would be the richest individual directly involved with ownership in North American professional sports, yes, but he would not be the richest owner in general. Keep in mind that many teams have corporate owners.

Meaning....the rink was built with inadequate press boxes for any level of hockey that is followed by the media.

Pointless article. I might start posting articles about how my local rink is upgrading the Junior B dressing room to include 'professional calibre' exhaust systems.

How's Copps holding up these days Jeff?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Vague, like this?:

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/morning_call/2011/01/nhl-glendale-dispute-coyotes-bond-story.html

I know we'd like to think that HF Boards are the first place anyone would go to leak, or verify/deny claims made in, a story, but we're not that significant.

Better to wait it out awhile than to jump to conclusions. ;)

I have a hard time believing that the bond issue "failed" per se. For one thing, I doubt that Glendale would go to sell the bonds before they have finalized and signed the lease and confirmed that the BOG has approved the sale. To my knowledge, neither of those things have happened. I doubt that potential investors would go anywhere near the bond issue without confirmation that the team was locked into a lease and the sale was confirmed. Moreover, it would be foolhardy for the COG to issue the bonds if they did not have the lease and sale confirmed.

If there is a grain of truth in McCown's rumour (which is looking dubious, at best) suppose it is possible that Glendale has been in discussions about the public sale of the bonds and has learned some rather unpleasant news, causing them to look at other options.

But they need to finalize and sign the lease before anything else, and they need the BOG to green light the sale, and I also think that they need some confidence that the GWI will not take them to court before they actually get to the bond sale.

Does that sound reasonable?

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I might start posting articles about how my local rink is upgrading the Junior B dressing room to include 'professional calibre' exhaust systems.

If you posted that article here in this thread it would likely be considered as off-topic, IMO.

However, if your local Junior B team has an ownership group that is seeking to acquire an NHL team, you should probably start your own thread dedicated to that topic!

:)

Fidel Astro

Aug 26, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
www.witchpolice.com
So would you call McCown irresponsible for spreading a false story? Can his "reporting" be trusted in the future since he claimed the bond sale failed when, as you say, it "hasn't happened?"

He's some radio *******. Who cares if his facts are correct or not? I can't tell you how many times I've heard drooling Pejorative Slurs on talk radio being completely 100% off the mark re: whatever topic they're jabbering about.

That's not to say that radio doesn't have the potential to be very informative at times, but I don't think anyone needs to take this guy seriously. All he was doing was saying what everyone -- aside from maybe a few hundred Coyotes fans -- wanted to hear.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
He's some radio *******. Who cares if his facts are correct or not? I can't tell you how many times I've heard drooling Pejorative Slurs on talk radio being completely 100% off the mark re: whatever topic they're jabbering about.

That's not to say that radio doesn't have the potential to be very informative at times, but I don't think anyone needs to take this guy seriously. All he was doing was saying what everyone -- aside from maybe a few hundred Coyotes fans -- wanted to hear.

For what it's worth , i listen to his show on a very regular basis and i can honestly say that i don't recall them ever breaking something that turned out to be bogus.

Truth be told i have heard many things on that show that where "breaking news" to me. He was in front of allot of the "troubled franchises issue" well before i had heard from any other source. For what it's worth.

Frankly, i miss the point of it, if he is BS ing . Is it still not one of the top listened to/watched sports radio programs in Canada?

To be honest he seemed very disinterested in the issue , they stopped talking about Pho a long time ago on the show. Steven Brunt was the one that brought it up. IIRC.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Can you please fill me in as to why you get "Huge Joy?"

You identify yourself as a Canadian, and yet you would not be happy to see a another Canadian NHL franchise?

Did someone from Winnipeg kick your puppy when you were a kid?

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind

You identify yourself as a Canadian, and yet you would not be happy to see a another Canadian NHL franchise?

its the being from hamilton thing
just ignore him you will be better off

Dado

I have a hard time believing that the bond issue "failed" per se.

The "per se" part is exactly it.

There is no conflict at all between the radio report of a "failed" sale and Daly's comments - one is using a broader definition, one is using a narrower one.

They can both be right.

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!

He never stated the Bond sale failed. Please check on the Coyotes thread for the process of Bond issuance. It has failed in garnering an underwriter to release the bonds. This is a huge blow. When you have an investment bank, or a consortium of investment banks underwrite your Muni's they pay you up front. They are the 'Wholesaler' per se.

If you cannot find underwriter's with something as safe as a Municipal Bond (supposedly as safe), it shoots up red flags when you try and sell them directly yourself. If you sell a private issue you don't have cash in hand. It could a subsatncial amount of time to sell the entire offering, and the interetst rate will be through the roof.

So no, the bonds aren't officially dead, but are sufficiently hampered.

McCown is in the media... but he doesn't have a reputation for spreading nonesense. Had this story been from one of the usual suspects I would be eating my grain of salt. Given his record I wouldn't doubt him.

berklon

Dec 24, 2008
its the being from hamilton thing
just ignore him you will be better off

Let's not paint with a wide brush.

I'm a Hamiltonian and I'd love to see Winnipeg and Quebec get a team. Of course I'd also love for Hamilton to get a team.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Let's not paint with a wide brush.

I'm a Hamiltonian and I'd love to see Winnipeg and Quebec get a team. Of course I'd also love for Hamilton to get a team.

sorry you took it that way
I was just refering to the one certain individual
not the city of hamilton as a whole

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007

I'd be thrilled...but we basically started yet another thread because the MTS Centre is updating their press box....a press box that was below standards.

It's ridiculous.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
Why is it that people in these threads can't take a little scepticism/reality without getting all bent out of shape and for some absurd reason start mentioning Hamilton??

They are updating their press box.....relax. When the U-Hauls with the Thrashers or Coyotes gear packed in them start rolling North...then you can get excited. Until then.....take a chill pill and realize not everybody is going to act like a little girl at a Beebs concert because a press box is getting some much needed improvements.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
Why is it that people in these threads can't take a little scepticism/reality without getting all bent out of shape and for some absurd reason start mentioning Hamilton??

Probably because you get bent out of shape whenever someone dumps skepticism/reality on you concerning Hamilton?

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
Probably because you get bent out of shape whenever someone dumps skepticism/reality on you concerning Hamilton?

Who is talking about Hamilton??

If somebody can make the argument that press box renovations are directly tied to an NHL team showing up.....I'm all ears. When the people making the renos say it was badly needed regardless of what pro-team is playing there.....I have to believe the two aren't related.

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
I have a hard time believing that the bond issue "failed" per se. For one thing, I doubt that Glendale would go to sell the bonds before they have finalized and signed the lease and confirmed that the BOG has approved the sale. To my knowledge, neither of those things have happened. I doubt that potential investors would go anywhere near the bond issue without confirmation that the team was locked into a lease and the sale was confirmed. Moreover, it would be foolhardy for the COG to issue the bonds if they did not have the lease and sale confirmed.

If there is a grain of truth in McCown's rumour (which is looking dubious, at best) suppose it is possible that Glendale has been in discussions about the public sale of the bonds and has learned some rather unpleasant news, causing them to look at other options.

But they need to finalize and sign the lease before anything else, and they need the BOG to green light the sale, and I also think that they need some confidence that the GWI will not take them to court before they actually get to the bond sale.

Does that sound reasonable?

It does. Getting creepy. Twice we've agreed in last two days. :laugh:

For what it's worth , i listen to his show on a very regular basis and i can honestly say that i don't recall them ever breaking something that turned out to be bogus.

Truth be told i have heard many things on that show that where "breaking news" to me. He was in front of allot of the "troubled franchises issue" well before i had heard from any other source. For what it's worth.

Frankly, i miss the point of it, if he is BS ing . Is it still not one of the top listened to/watched sports radio programs in Canada?

To be honest he seemed very disinterested in the issue , they stopped talking about Pho a long time ago on the show. Steven Brunt was the one that brought it up. IIRC.

I wouldn't say he was BSing (as intentionally). He relied on a source that, in this case, was unreliable. Better he had called (or had a staffer call) NHL or COG to comment on what he heard before blurting out what has now been refuted. Might have stopped the hysteria that was yesterday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->