Part 4: True North Sports & Entertainment's efforts to acquire an NHL team (Winnipeg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Don't read anything into having a tiny, little, NHL logo on the Moose sweaters. I'm sure there is a simple explaination. Maybe the person who created the image was trying to be funny. Who knows.

I have noticed lots of AHL teams visting Winnipeg that have NHL logos on thier equipment, and this has to do with costs. If the AHL team and the NHL team share the same colours, they will buy one set of pants ( for example ) to save on costs instead of trying to buy two different sets. And because the buy them for the NHL, the farm team gets the NHL logo.

wpgJetsfan

Dec 24, 2010
Forget the guy's name :sarcasm: but the last time a potential owner jumped the gun and began marketing an NHL team in his market before he actually owned it, did not work out well for him. ;)

Seriously, I wouldn't read anything into this. Any more than some here who insisted that when the Coyotes held a 50%-off sale on all merchandise following the 2008-09 season and until just before the start of the 2009-10 season, it must mean the Coyotes would be playing elsewhere in 2009-10.

RR, but he never had a schedule made for an NHL season like TNSE did. So you never know.

But here is the kicker. Why is the NHL logo on the gear? The NHL does not own the AHL do they? Their NHL teams have contacts with the AHL farm clubs.

Also why is it only the Manitoba Moose have the NHL logo? Something is overlooked here and I wish someone in Winnipeg would dig into this possible story to find out.

wpgJetsfan

Dec 24, 2010
Don't read anything into having a tiny, little, NHL logo on the Moose sweaters. I'm sure there is a simple explaination. Maybe the person who created the image was trying to be funny. Who knows.

I have noticed lots of AHL teams visting Winnipeg that have NHL logos on thier equipment, and this has to do with costs. If the AHL team and the NHL team share the same colours, they will buy one set of pants ( for example ) to save on costs instead of trying to buy two different sets. And because the buy them for the NHL, the farm team gets the NHL logo.

CBCWPG,

I can see this for the players but for the FANS to buy merchandise such as jerseys, sweaters, etc? Why is the NHL logo on it?

King of Arcadia

Feb 11, 2010
the NHL logo on the sweaters is interesting, but perhaps it is nothing afterall.....unless they had ordered these last year thinking that Glendale wasn't going to cough up the $25 million at the last minute:amazed: But I still think that is unlikely:(

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
I bet I can tell you the colour of his hat though. ;)

Is it by any chance yellow and he has a curious monkey for a pet? :naughty:

Well a year ago that was the word, if they want to say it is double expansion of the press box then fine, check out the pictures inside MTS from earlier in this post. The point I made was that construction was about to begin to turn MTS into an NHL ready rinmk. I believe that NOW, this is happening. Look at the pictures, note thge NHL logo and more importantly ask Chipman yourself who the Moose will play infront of as Vancouvers AHL team....You won't get an answer but I can tell you that the schedule is already adjusted for both leagues.

I dont doubt that there may be somethin' brewing regarding both leagues having to redraw up schedules, but i'm just questioning the validity of what you're suggesting as a sure-fire thing.

If, for example, a year ago this is what the informer was suggesting, but raising the roof/more seats has never been something in TNSE's plans, then how certain can this same informer be of the rest of the information?

That's all I'm saying.

Perhaps the informer is really an imposter

(edit: embed not working, so here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icb_tRTnA4g :naughty:)

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
richest owner in north american sports teamed with the previous owners of one of the most successful minor league franchises in history....its a pretty good start.

jamwires

Sep 22, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
People fail to notice that point, Peter. THE richest owner in all of North American pro sports. Yes, that includes the NFL, NBA, MLB...

If I were a betting man (pun intended), Gary B. badly wants him aboard.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
With all the twists and turns going on in the NHL today, I wouldn't be suprised if the Manitoba Moose cut ties with The Vancouver Canucks next season to join the NHL as an expansion team. Many stranger things have happened.

That's actually an very interesting thought, though I have no clue if the NHL (or AHL, for that matter) would allow it, and under what circumstances.

I can't see the other league's teams kicking up much of a fuss over it (let Winnipeg keep their AHL players, or make everyone else give them a couple of NHL players*). Plus I'm assuming that many of the players already have connections to the city in terms of community involvement, and going the expansion draft route would result in all those ties being cut, then re-started with new players.

I'd imagine the first couple of years would be brutal (there's quite a leap between the AHL and the NHL), but in this scenario, the city would get to have its cake and eat it too, and I'm sure they'd see a couple of losing seasons as a fair price to pay.

EDIT: *Isn't an expansion draft a perfect opportunity to unload a crappy contract? Maybe a few teams wouldn't mind an expansion draft in that case....

Kebekoi

Oct 3, 2006
Matane, QC
That's actually an very interesting thought, though I have no clue if the NHL (or AHL, for that matter) would allow it, and under what circumstances.

I can't see the other league's teams kicking up much of a fuss over it (let Winnipeg keep their AHL players, or make everyone else give them a couple of NHL players*). Plus I'm assuming that many of the players already have connections to the city in terms of community involvement, and going the expansion draft route would result in all those ties being cut, then re-started with new players.

I'd imagine the first couple of years would be brutal (there's quite a leap between the AHL and the NHL), but in this scenario, the city would get to have its cake and eat it too, and I'm sure they'd see a couple of losing seasons as a fair price to pay.

EDIT: *Isn't an expansion draft a perfect opportunity to unload a crappy contract? Maybe a few teams wouldn't mind an expansion draft in that case....

Interesting, would Vancouver keep their prospects and move them to a new city (Victoria)?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Interesting, would Vancouver keep their prospects and move them to a new city (Victoria)?

Of course Vancouver wouldn't lose their prospects if the Moose cut ties with the team. I do think a new affiliate would be named, and I wouldn't be surprised if they pushed for a team out west. Perhaps another AHL expansion team? Or a partnership with Calgary and the Heat? I know Abbotsford would prefer to have Canuck content as the fans there aren't attending games except for whenever the Moose are in town.

I do believe the NHL should be at 32 teams anyways. 16 in each conference, and half of those teams make the playoffs. Manitoba and either Quebec, Hamilton, Seattle or Portland should be considered for an expansion team. That's 2 of the 4 as expansion teams, and the remaining 2 should be granted relocation teams for (likely) Phoenix and Atlanta.

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
Vancouver's affiliation with the Moose was extended to the end of next season. Whatever destiny of the AHL franchise in the event of an NHL relocation to Winnipeg, would be attached to the Canucks.

I.E. TNSE keeps the team and finds a new location or if they sell the team, that agreement will be attached to that transaction.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Vancouver's affiliation with the Moose was extended to the end of next season. Whatever destiny of the AHL franchise in the event of an NHL relocation to Winnipeg, would be attached to the Canucks.

I.E. TNSE keeps the team and finds a new location or if they sell the team, that agreement will be attached to that transaction.

No one can know that for sure based on public info. All it takes is a few clauses in the affiliation agreement providing an "out" in the event of the NHL returning to Winnipeg. TNSE owns 100% of the Moose franchise. I would not be surprised if TNSE held on to the team, relocated it and used it as the AHL affiliate for Winnipeg's new NHL team. If that happened, the Canucks would have to find somewhere else for their players to play. There are numerous other possibilities of course. However, no conclusion can be drawn by any public announcement on the length of any agreement between the Moose and Canucks due to likely provisions in the agreement dealing with the contingency of the NHL coming to Winnipeg prior to expiration of the agreement.

GHOST

Dado

My understand is Daly didn't refute anything, but merely made a completely vague statement that could mean absolutely anything.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
I just want to give a heads up that the Moose are playing at MTS Centre on national TV right now. See CBC. It's in the 3rd period already so switch it on if you have a chance soon. They've made a few comments re NHL return.

Also, here is a recent article from the WPF on the thread topic:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Winnipeg+still+waiting/4143708/story.html

GHOST

Good grief....I stopped reading that article after a few paragraphs to post, otherwise I would have boiled over with nausea. How self-serving. AS IF...the only way Bettman can get out of Phoenix without costing his bosses money is to sell to TNSE. AS IF!

This is pathetic really. No quotes...just speculation...and yapping about some "deal" that was nothing more than TNSE saying "Hey...we're here."...that was the extent of the "deal" that apparently has a "shelf-life" now.

This isn't worth the paper (bandwidth?) it is written on. This is absolutely nothing. Everyone knows the NHL has to do something quick or they are stuck for another season...according to the NHL anyway. We also all know that NHL franchises can be moved very quickly.

This article has zip-all to do with TNSE or Winnipeg.....it basically says....and I'll sum the entire thing up in 12 words.....

The date the NHL set to sell the Coyotes locally has expired.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007

Huge joy to take from this....
the press box is substandard, no matter what level of professional hockey

Meaning....the rink was built with inadequate press boxes for any level of hockey that is followed by the media.

Pointless article. I might start posting articles about how my local rink is upgrading the Junior B dressing room to include 'professional calibre' exhaust systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad