Part 4: True North Sports & Entertainment's efforts to acquire an NHL team (Winnipeg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
The CBC signed an agreement to televise 10 AHL games, 4 of which involve the Moose. What does that have to do with Winnipeg getting an NHL team?

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
It doesn't, but a) they have discussed the topic of this thread during the broadcast, b) I thought it might be of interest to people in this forum who have CBC and might want to see what the MTS Centre looks like on TV and c) my original post is not only about the game, but includes an article relevant to this topic, which isn't about to go away anytime soon. :nod:

GHOST

Fugu

These threads will only be allowed if we can come up with creative titles for them as well.

rebel diamond

Sep 2, 2008
Toronto
Yeah it's cool to see the MTS Centre on TV, but I maintain that the arena situation in Winnipeg has not and will not be a major issue in any relocation discussion.

These threads will only be allowed if we can come up with creative titles for them as well.

TNSE the 4th: Once more unto the breach dear friends

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
Is the upper deck always curtained off for the AHL set up in Winnipeg, or did they just do that for the Sunday matinee crowd?

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
Is the upper deck always curtained off for the AHL set up in Winnipeg, or did they just do that for the Sunday matinee crowd?

Yeah, if the lower bowl sells out they call it a sell out. If they think they will get more patrons they start opening sections of the upper level.

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
New Year's Eve (a tradition dating back to the NHL years) always warrants opening the upper deck... as does the season opener and last few games of the year... Other than that, it's a mystery as to which games will warrant oppening the upper bowl. It's strictly based on demand.

The MTS Centre (15,003) holds the record for largest crowd during Game 1 of the Calder Cup Finals (full arena sellout). Playing vs Hershey (10,000+ seat arena), the series also set an attendance record for most total spectators (beating out Philly vs Chicago... even with Philly setting an AHL playoff record with 20,000+ in one game), and in a Calder Cup Final, surpassing Houston vs Hamilton (despite the fact that both rinks hold 17,000+).

Also, interesting to see the Montreal Gazette pick up a Winnipeg Free Press story!

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Brad May was on the broadcast and was lobbying pretty hard for the NHL to return to Winnipeg.

It's nothing we haven't heard before but it was interesting to hear considering May is from Toronto and never played for a Winnipeg-based team (and ironically spent three seasons playing for the Coyotes).

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Brad May was on the broadcast and was lobbying pretty hard for the NHL to return to Winnipeg.

It's nothing we haven't heard before but it was interesting to hear considering May is from Toronto and never played for a Winnipeg-based team (and ironically spent three seasons playing for the Coyotes).

Not as good as the morning, I'm listening to the Fan590 in Toronto and Jeremy Roenick is going on how the NHL should be playing back in Winnipeg and what a great hockey town it is.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
I think this thread should be called.

Part 4: welcome home Winnipeg. Leave your bags at the door. Your old room is down the hall.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
This was pointed out in the other thread but deleted, presumably because it was off topic, so I'll do whoever originally posted it justice by re-posting it here:

Picture9-2.png

The NHL logo is clearly visible on the Moose jersey. For comparison purposes, I also checked another AHL team, the Toronto Marlies:

Picture8-3.png

Interesting to say the least.

http://www.ahlstore.com/teams/toron...-premier-away-jersey-blank-or-customized.html
http://www.ahlstore.com/teams/manitoba-moose/reebok-manitoba-moose-premier-home-jersey.html

Last edited:

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
Yeah. The Moose have more NHL caliber players than the marlies. ;)

You'll also notice that on the pants of the Grand Rapids Griffins there is an NHL logo. A Red Wings logo too. I heard a rumor that the AHL even has a few NHL players hiding in their league.

My way of saying that I wouldn't read too much into that.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Yeah. The Moose have more NHL caliber players than the marlies. ;)

You'll also notice that on the pants of the Grand Rapids Griffins there is an NHL logo. A Red Wings logo too. I heard a rumor that the AHL even has a few NHL players hiding in their league.

My way of saying that I wouldn't read too much into that.

I agree it is not a conclusive piece of evidence however I still think it holds some intrigue.

While the Griffins may play with an NHL logo on their pants, it is quite a bit different from being a piece of merchandise that fans can buy. Every other AHL team has some form of an AHL logo on their jersey, except the Moose. It would be interesting to see though if any of the Winnipeg posters have an older Moose jersey to see if this was always there or is a recent addition.

Once again, I don't think it is the end all of end all, but it could be an interesting development nonetheless.

Jaeger03

Nov 14, 2008
Once again, I don't think it is the end all of end all, but it could be an interesting development nonetheless.

Suggesting what? That the new franchise in Winnipeg won't use the old Jets name and instead will use the Moose? Seems unlikely to me, especially if it were the Coyotes being relocated.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I just want to give a heads up that the Moose are playing at MTS Centre on national TV right now. See CBC. It's in the 3rd period already so switch it on if you have a chance soon. They've made a few comments re NHL return.

Also, here is a recent article from the WPF on the thread topic:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Winnipeg+still+waiting/4143708/story.html

GHOST

the attendance was 8509 or 8905 i dont remember what the radio said this morning
so the crowd was good too

wpgJetsfan

Dec 24, 2010
The NHL logo is not only on Moose Jersey's but other things such as sweaters for an example.

With all the twists and turns going on in the NHL today, I wouldn't be suprised if the Manitoba Moose cut ties with The Vancouver Canucks next season to join the NHL as an expansion team. Many stranger things have happened.

Dado

With all the twists and turns going on in the NHL today, I wouldn't be suprised if the Manitoba Moose cut ties with The Vancouver Canucks next season to join the NHL as an expansion team. Many stranger things have happened.

Good lord. Hadn't even thought about that. Just let the Phoenix branch close, and start the Moose out fresh.

Expansion draft? Ex-Coyote players have first dibs on Moose jobs?

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
The NHL logo is not only on Moose Jersey's but other things such as sweaters for an example.

Forget the guy's name :sarcasm: but the last time a potential owner jumped the gun and began marketing an NHL team in his market before he actually owned it, did not work out well for him. ;)

Seriously, I wouldn't read anything into this. Any more than some here who insisted that when the Coyotes held a 50%-off sale on all merchandise following the 2008-09 season and until just before the start of the 2009-10 season, it must mean the Coyotes would be playing elsewhere in 2009-10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->