Prospect Info: Part 3: Oskar Lindblom -- round 5 #138 overall 2014 NHL Draft

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Game 1-21(Nov 22nd) when he played on the 2nd line: 10 points in 21 games
Game 22 vs NYR is when Weise became the 2nd line winger...hahaha
Game 22-44(Nov 23-Jan 13) on the 4th line never once getting to 15 minutes: 2 points in 23 games
Game 45 against Minny got promoted to 2nd line again and has 10 pts in 14 games playing 16:05 a game

So 20 points in 35 games when used in a top 9 role. That's a 47 point pace over 82 games.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Game 1-21(Nov 22nd) when he played on the 2nd line: 10 points in 21 games
Game 22 vs NYR is when Weise became the 2nd line winger...hahaha
Game 22-44(Nov 23-Jan 13) on the 4th line never once getting to 15 minutes: 2 points in 23 games
Game 45 against Minny got promoted to 2nd line again and has 10 pts in 14 games playing 16:05 a game

So 20 points in 35 games when used in a top 9 role. That's a 47 point pace over 82 games.

Yeah, but Hak didn't have a choice. When you have a horse like Dale Weise on your team, you can't just keep him in the stable, you gotta feed him his minutes and just let him run.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Promoting Weise like that was a sure sign Hak had totally lost the plot, because in 17-18 Weise was his favorite healthy scratch forward.
It was just such an odd move to demote the guy who was pacing for 39 points all at ES.

As of today, Lindblom is 45th in LW ES scoring......all while 94th in ES ice time for LW per game...61st in Total ES icetime for LW.

So he is outproducing his icetime placement all while spending 20 games on the 4th line due to bad coaching from 2 bad coaches.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It was just such an odd move to demote the guy who was pacing for 39 points all at ES.

As of today, Lindblom is 45th in LW ES scoring......all while 94th in ES ice time for LW per game...61st in Total ES icetime for LW.

So he is outproducing his icetime placement all while spending 20 games on the 4th line due to bad coaching from 2 bad coaches.

Must suck if last month you laughed off Lindblom scoring as a 2nd line winger before his demotion.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

The demotion was stupid. The line of 23-19-93 was crushing it playing very good hockey. Lindblom was on pace for 41 points during the first 20 games of the season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lindblom was in a funk, Gordon played him less than Hakstol in December, and Gordon had him in LHV the previous season.

People try to create weird conspiracy theories where coaches "bury" promising prospects to play their "favorites," that's about as silly as it comes - coaches are always fighting for their jobs and want to win - you think any coach is going to risk his $2+M a year job to play a favorite?

What is more likely is young players have stretches where they lose focus or are uncomfortable in their roles, we're seeing that with TK the last few weeks with Giroux at center. Coaches will demote them to take pressure off and let them just go out and forecheck and not think, then promote them when the kid seems to be turning it around. Not saying every HC move is correct, just that there's actual logic behind them.

You see this all around the league, either every coach (including the SC winners) is a dinosaur, or managing young players is a psychological art, and some HCs are better than others, but all are bsically guessing what might work.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Lindblom's demotion by Hakstol made no sense. If you went by what Hakstol said he wanted from his players and what he seemingly liked in various scrubs like VdV, Bellemare, Lehtera, Weise, etc., well, Lindblom actually did those things. He was defensively responsible, he goes into the tough areas, he plays with snot and balls. And he actually creates and maintains possession and throws in some underrated nifty offensive moves, like passing from behind the net into HD areas.

There's also the fact that Patrick had better chemistry with Lindblom than anyone he has played with in the NHL. Yeah, perfect time to demote him.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Lindblom was in a funk, Gordon played him less than Hakstol in December, and Gordon had him in LHV the previous season.

People try to create weird conspiracy theories where coaches "bury" promising prospects to play their "favorites," that's about as silly as it comes - coaches are always fighting for their jobs and want to win - you think any coach is going to risk his $2+M a year job to play a favorite?

What is more likely is young players have stretches where they lose focus or are uncomfortable in their roles, we're seeing that with TK the last few weeks with Giroux at center. Coaches will demote them to take pressure off and let them just go out and forecheck and not think, then promote them when the kid seems to be turning it around. Not saying every HC move is correct, just that there's actual logic behind them.

You see this all around the league, either every coach (including the SC winners) is a dinosaur, or managing young players is a psychological art, and some HCs are better than others, but all are bsically guessing what might work.
You are so full of shit trying to find a way to defend Hak demoting Lindblom.

Lindblom went 3 games with no points, -1 before being demoted....and Hak had already cut his icetime in those games to 10:07, 12:37 and 11:35.

HE HAD 8 POINTS IN 7 GAMES AND +8 BEFORE THOSE 3 GAMES.

So Hak felt that he should demoted a guy with 7 points and +7 in his last 10 games....and felt Weise should get that promotion.

And what did Weise do to deserve that promotion? No points in 5 games and -3. And how did he react to taht promotion? No points in 3 games and -4. He EARRRRRNED it.

Christ you even had Gordon saying Lindblom would have rebounded earlier if not for his bad coach leaving him on the 4th line.

It's just funny to see you do everything in your power to defend Hak. How hard is it to say "yup, Hak was dumb to demote Lindblom who was producing and playing just fine"? Obviously saying Hak was a dumbass is not possible for you.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
You are so full of **** trying to find a way to defend Hak demoting Lindblom.

Lindblom went 3 games with no points, -1 before being demoted....and Hak had already cut his icetime in those games to 10:07, 12:37 and 11:35.

HE HAD 8 POINTS IN 7 GAMES AND +8 BEFORE THOSE 3 GAMES.

So Hak felt that he should demoted a guy with 7 points and +7 in his last 10 games....and felt Weise should get that promotion.

And what did Weise do to deserve that promotion? No points in 5 games and -3. And how did he react to taht promotion? No points in 3 games and -4. He EARRRRRNED it.

Christ you even had Gordon saying Lindblom would have rebounded earlier if not for his bad coach leaving him on the 4th line.

It's just funny to see you do everything in your power to defend Hak. How hard is it to say "yup, Hak was dumb to demote Lindblom who was producing and playing just fine"? Obviously saying Hak was a dumbass is not possible for you.

Hak is a dumbass. I can most certainly say it. I can scream it too! God he was a god damn dumbass.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hak is a dumbass. I can most certainly say it. I can scream it too! God he was a god damn dumbass.
I can at least give credit to Gordon for admitting he was wrong in leaving him on the 4th line while evaluating the team. If Hak was coach, maybe he would have stayed there.

Also discovered this:

Lindblom was 2nd in the NHL in rookie ES scoring when demoted, trailing EP by 2 points.
Then since being put back on the 2nd line Jan 14th, he is 4th in ES scoring for rookine, 2 behind EP

Yeah...maybe we should just leave him there.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Dating back to last season, Lindblom’s first 34 NHL GP he accrued 4 goals & 4 assists while averaging 13:59 TOI.

He also went a 23 game stretch from late November to early Jan this year with 0 goals & 1 assist, including a pointless December.

There’s some personal responsibility.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Dating back to last season, Lindblom’s first 34 NHL GP he accrued 4 goals & 4 assists while averaging 13:59 TOI.

He also went a 23 game stretch from late November to early Jan this year with 0 goals & 1 assist, including a pointless December.

There’s some personal responsibility.
Yes...that 23 game stretch when he was 12th on the team in icetime for forwards per game playing 9:42 a game.

He really should have produced in that 4:38 game. Or that 5:18 game. Or that 5:27 game. etc... Meanwhile...Weise only ever played 1 game less than 8 minutes all season.

So I guess you too can't admit Hak was an idiot.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Yes...that 23 game stretch when he was 12th on the team in icetime for forwards per game playing 9:42 a game.

He really should have produced in that 4:38 game. Or that 5:18 game. Or that 5:27 game. etc... Meanwhile...Weise only ever played 1 game less than 8 minutes all season.

So I guess you too can't admit Hak was an idiot.
34 GP. 4 goals. 4 assists. 13:59 TOI. Can’t blame that lack of production on opportunity.

And 0 goals & 1 assist over a 23 game span isn’t excusable because of usage. He still averaged 9:54. Even Jody Hull topped that.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
As a Philadelphian, I am only ever going to call him Lind-BLAAHM.

This, minus being a Philadelphian. I live close enough that I share some of the accent but far enough away that it sounds hilarious when I'm talking to Philadelphians.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Lindblom cannot hockey properly. Should be demoted and should be drinking more beet juice.

Top 9 role has been way out of his comfort zone and hockey IQ.

Stop with the asinine comments. Some peoples children must have gotten into the internet boards around here. Go back from whence you came.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
34 GP. 4 goals. 4 assists. 13:59 TOI. Can’t blame that lack of production on opportunity.

And 0 goals & 1 assist over a 23 game span isn’t excusable because of usage. He still averaged 9:54. Even Jody Hull topped that.
You first line is LAST YEAR. In a different thread, didn't you talk about natural progression of the kids? Guess that doesn't apply to Oskar.

And I didn't say it was excusable. I said it was dumb for him to be demoted in the 1st place. Patrick had 2 points during those same games with much better linemates. That's even worse imo.

But it's just funny that you ONLY want to cite last year, and his demotion games when talking about Oskar. Others take everything into context.

He produces as a 45+ guy when playing a top 9 role. He produces as a 4th liner/AHLer when on the 4th line. I wonder where we should play him?

:confused:

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
Anyone who watches the Flyers objectively knows that Lindblom can hockey. He'll probably settle in as a real nice 3rd line winger who can move up when needed and not look out of place for a few games.

Dudes a keeper or, if he doesn't progress further, will be a real solid place holder until a younger cheaper guy replaces him.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
You first line is LAST YEAR. In a different thread, didn't you talk about natural progression of the kids? Guess that doesn't apply to Oskar.

And I didn't say it was excusable. I said it was dumb for him to be demoted in the 1st place. Patrick had 2 points during those same games with much better linemates. That's even worse imo.

But it's just funny that you ONLY want to cite last year, and his demotion games when talking about Oskar. Others take everything into context.

He produces as a 45+ guy when playing a top 9 role. He produces as a 4th liner/AHLer when on the 4th line. I wonder where we should play him?

23 games last year + first 11 games this year = 8 pts in 34 games averaging 13:59.

That’s not even a 20 point pace.

Then he had a nice 7 game run where he matched his total points from his previous 34 games combined.

And maybe he shouldn’t have been demoted. But he also didn’t exactly win his spot back with 1 point in his next 23 games. He averaged 9:50; not like he had Goulbourne treatment.

I think it’s awesome he’s producing again. But your notion that he’s produced every time he’s been given top 9 minutes is wrong. And some responsibility for getting just 1 point in 23 games falls on his shoulders. Varone has topped that.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
23 games last year + first 11 games this year = 8 pts in 34 games averaging 13:59.

That’s not even a 20 point pace.

Then he had a nice 7 game run where he matched his total points from his previous 34 games combined.

And maybe he shouldn’t have been demoted. But he also didn’t exactly win his spot back with 1 point in his next 23 games. He averaged 9:50; not like he had Goulbourne treatment.

I think it’s awesome he’s producing again. But your notion that he’s produced every time he’s been given top 9 minutes is wrong. And some responsibility for getting just 1 point in 23 games falls on his shoulders. Varone has topped that.
Once again....you have to dig into LAST YEAR to try and build any case.

THIS YEAR, when played in a top 9 role, he produces as a 2nd liner. Eat it!

Reactions: Larry44

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lindblom was in a funk when he was demoted, and Gordon kept him on the 4th line for EIGHT games.
Note also that Gordon doesn't play his 4th line nearly as much as Hakstol, 6-8 minutes instead of 10 minutes a night. So when Gordon buries you, you go MIA.
Gordon had him for most of last season in LHV, so he knew what he could do.
And Hakstol put him on the second line last spring, so he must have liked the kid.

Young players are up and down, right now TK looks like warmed over dog crap out there playing with Giroux.
I love Lindblom, and want to see him on the 2nd line with Patrick for a decade.
I think he's one of the few forwards who does the dirty work, night after night - but he's still learning how to finish, he's probably blown more scoring chances than any other Flyer outside of TK.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
8 games in 10 games= funk

9fbf40ac4904eb282609aa0e04633090.jpg

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Once again....you have to dig into LAST YEAR to try and build any case.

THIS YEAR, when played in a top 9 role, he produces as a 2nd liner. Eat it!
He had a top 9 role his first 11 games this season & had 2 points. To hear you tell it, he’s been automatic whenever he gets top 9 minutes. Not true last season. Not true in the playoffs. Not true for the first 11 games this season. I’m pulling for him, btw. Just saying it hasn’t only been about opportunity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad