Prospect Info: (Part 2) Round 1, Pick 22, German Rubtsov, C, Russia U-19 (MHL)

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Yeah, Laughton seems to have more physicality to his game than Rubstov, but I think their overall impacts can be similar.

Agreed on the missing piece with Rubstov. Not sure what it is, but it's obvious he's too passive out there. It's a shame, because he has untapped skill.
He strikes me as though he believes the only way to the nhl is to be super safe. I do think he could be a Laughton replacement. Good to great forth liner. Has the skill to fill in a little higher if injuries a cure.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Because he was a 1st rounder.

I when I watch him play, it's easy to see that he has more offensive ability than his production stat line suggest, but at some point you have to call a spade a spade.

He's got skill, I don't think anyone denies that. I don't think @Appleyard is wrong when he says that he has ~40 point potential. I think that player exists in Rubstov, but I don't know if that player will ever be realized by Rubstov.

As I said earlier, I lowered my expectations of Rubstov to someone who can play a 4th line center role, score 20ish points and provide PK ability - basically a Laughton replacement - another one of your favorites!

Yeh... I should probably say that the odds of him reaching that are not high at this venture.

He often "looks" great with nothing meaningful that comes from it. Though he has been better in that regard in KHL this year. Pushing play more and not just being "in a great position" most of the time.

BUT if he can simply transfer his level of D right now in KHL to the NHL?

Then it would not be that outlandish for him to be a great 4C or solid 3C in the ZAR, Kruger, Cizikas mould (not in playing style in terms of last one, but effectiveness 2-way+production.)

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Maybe a Laughton replacement in terms of place in lineup and status as 1st rounder that never became an impact player, but Rubstov looks like a much more defensively sound forward and doesn't have the shooting talent of Laughton. I could see him having an overall greater net impact, and I love him on the PK. In the games I have watched he wasn't involved enough on the PP to score major points. His game reminds me a lot of Giroux's this year. I don't have the same stats available and his sample size was smaller. When you watch him it is obvious he has skill, he is doing things well, but things just don't translate to points. I think he shot like super low too. As is the case with Giroux, you'd prefer that to the opposite.

I haven't seen him play KHL games yet

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This is a good opportunity for Rubtsov, he's getting a chance to play higher up and get some offensive opportunities.
He's sort of the anti-Laughton, in that Laughton was always skillled offensively, got sent down b/c of bad defense, and while his offense has further developed, he's a marginal defender at 3C, safer at LW or 4C where he can just focus on the forecheck.

Rubtsov is the rare prospect who has his defensive chops down but needs to work on his offense.
Given Frost and Patrick, that's not a problem as Rubtsov can fight it out with Bunnaman for the 4C slot in 2021-22.
If he can win the job, that'll buy him a couple years to improve on offense.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
This is a good opportunity for Rubtsov, he's getting a chance to play higher up and get some offensive opportunities.
He's sort of the anti-Laughton, in that Laughton was always skillled offensively, got sent down b/c of bad defense, and while his offense has further developed, he's a marginal defender at 3C, safer at LW or 4C where he can just focus on the forecheck.

Rubtsov is the rare prospect who has his defensive chops down but needs to work on his offense.
Given Frost and Patrick, that's not a problem as Rubtsov can fight it out with Bunnaman for the 4C slot in 2021-22.
If he can win the job, that'll buy him a couple years to improve on offense.

What is funny is he has really nice hands. Better than Laughton... but it seems like at times he feels it is uncouth to use them haha. Only does as a last resort. Like today got caught on boards 1v2 and proceeded to do some nifty puck handling in a tight spot to evade both... but does not try stuff often.

It has been better in KHL though. Playing a bit "riskier" at times. Which is great to see haha.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I think he shot like super low too.
3.7% on low volume (~5.5 Shots/60).

I never thought he had the 60-70 point upside some did on draft day. He's a bit like Provorov in his posture and hand placement. Top arm is glued to his body. He didn't play with a lot of deception. He was a good skater, but his speed was build up speed. His first few steps weren't great. That said, I still have the image of him taking over a game against Canada West at the WJACs. Yeah it was Junior A hockey, but that team had four NHL defensemen on it and he dominated - especially below the dots. He had a bit of a power forward element to his game back then when he could hold on to the puck a lot and he could shield defenders with his body and buy time for himself and teammates. That hasn't quite worked in pro hockey or even in the Q. He looked at his best playing on Nicolas Roy's wing. Roy was great that year and got German to play with a lot of pace.

There was also that whole doping scandal with the Russian u18 team that year which could have had a bigger benefit than we were led to believe. :dunno:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Meh, I simply don’t care about Rubtsov at this point. I don’t see it with him. Maybe he could be a 4th liner if he could win draws. But he’s got no offensive game, isn’t physical, sucks on draws, completely nondescript. There are plenty of 4th liners out there.

I wanted Max Jones & that’s who they should’ve taken. He may also just be a 4th liner, but he’s not nondescript. He’s the Islanders-type who is big, fast, gets in on the forecheck, punishes the D, causes turnovers, & wins board battles.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I just don’t see Laughton as a Flyer after this season. He’ll be a UFA after this season and will want a raise form his $2.3M per on his current deal. Patrick looks like he’s going to 3C. With all of the other wings the roster, Laughton is expendable. He had a nice season this year, so trade high. Rubtsov or one of the other younger guys should push him out of a job.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I’ve always liked Ruby’s hockey smarts, and he can play all 3 F positions too. Hope he gets a chance to compete for a job,
He sure will get a chance to play. Will he ever stay healthy long enough to settle in? Injuries really have been holding him back so far.

Reactions: Larry44

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
He sure will get a chance to play. Will he ever stay healthy long enough to settle in? Injuries really have been holding him back so far.
Agreed, without our health, none of us have anything. :)

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Rubie can’t fail!

ef4baa964bd7c2715689abb0821cdb81.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Maybe he's getting confidence in his offensive game.

These things often feed on themselves, like making a basket, you start getting a feel, get more aggressive, get more chances, more good things happen - unless you get overconfident and start making mistakes - but I don't think that will be a problem for Rubtsov.

Reactions: Appleyard

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Something I completely missed last week...

Rubtsov made his debut for the senior Russian national team at the EHT vs Czech Republic on Sunday.

7-4 win where he played bottom six.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Something I completely missed last week...

Rubtsov made his debut for the senior Russian national team at the EHT vs Czech Republic on Sunday.

7-4 win where he played bottom six.
Is he playing in the AHL? Hextall acted like a genius when he traded back and drafted him. Big disappointment so far. Know he had injuries but should be out playing Bunny by now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad