Prospect Info: (Part 2) Round 1, Pick 22, German Rubtsov, C, Russia U-19 (MHL)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Been really encouraged watching him in the KHL this year.

He sucks on the draw still... and he needs to shoot more. But everything else? He looks the best defensive forward on ice most nights - he is playing vs the best forwards in the KHL most games and not giving them chances - rarely makes bad mistakes... and is pushing play a lot more than has been in AHL.

Petr Svoboda Mullet

Apr 3, 2016

He sucks on the draw still... and he needs to shoot more. But everything else? He looks the best defensive forward on ice most nights - he is playing vs the best forwards in the KHL most games and not giving them chances - rarely makes bad mistakes... and is pushing play a lot more than has been in AHL.

What’s his ceiling?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Rubtsov and JOB end up talented bottom six forwards we're still ahead of the game.
Still better than having to play scrubs in those spots because you're so thin.

And they have the talent to start there and move up the food chain.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany

Maybe he is some sort of Couts light?
Be a good D First young player helping the team win in the first 2 seasons. Gaining confidence and grow understanding the pro game more. Start scoring in season 3?

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Be a good D First young player helping the team win in the first 2 seasons. Gaining confidence and grow understanding the pro game more. Start scoring in season 3?
Purely from a statistics point of view, I am personally lowering expectations for his NHL production. He's got ability to score, but for whatever reason, he's just not doing it.

That doesn't mean I don't think he'll have value in the NHL. If he provide good defense and secondary scoring as a 4th line center (Upper 20ies in total production), that's a pretty good player.

sregdoor

Jun 22, 2018
He is listed on hockeydb.com as 6'02" 178. Does anyone know if this is still accurate?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He is listed on hockeydb.com as 6'02" 178. Does anyone know if this is still accurate?

His combine measurement was 6'0 1/2, 190 lbs, have to figure he's 200+ lbs by now.
Which is good size for a 4C, can see him and Bunnaman fighting it out in a year or two.
JOB could be in that mix or move to RW.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I can't believe people still project this guy to be anything. I do not get it. Since the 2nd half of the 17/18 season this guy has almost exclusively played like a wet noodle. 2 freaking goals in 42 AHL games last year.

Reactions: IronMarshal

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
I can't believe people still project this guy to be anything. I do not get it. Since the 2nd half of the 17/18 season this guy has almost exclusively played like a wet noodle. 2 freaking goals in 42 AHL games last year.

Hey Kent manderville scores a goal once upon a time

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

If he ever puts it together and becomes a regular NHLer I would imagine he would be no more than a 20 point player. Just does not play at the pace necessary to be very productive at the NHL level.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Was hoping for that. I was impressed with him 2 pre seasons ago. Always on the right side of the puck like couts.
Injuries.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
I dont see him as a potential 2nd line Center. He could Start as a defense first 4th line Center and grow in a solid 3 liner. Its my last hope for him. Dont wanted to say he will be something very good.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Because only like 2% of us watch the Phantoms.
I am one of the 2%- ers. Gordon's coaching during the regular season is about the same ugliness as the AV system during the playoffs. All the players are virtually on the wrong side of the puck. The forwards break out before the Defense has absolute control of the puck. Hardly anyone knows how to cradle the puck [ loved the egg routine in The Mighty Ducks movie] . Lose board battles. Always out numbered in the corners. The Phantoms do have one thing in common with the Flyers....blast the puck from the point and pray for a rebound on the PP. I think that is about it.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Because he was a 1st rounder.

I when I watch him play, it's easy to see that he has more offensive ability than his production stat line suggest, but at some point you have to call a spade a spade.

He's got skill, I don't think anyone denies that. I don't think @Appleyard is wrong when he says that he has ~40 point potential. I think that player exists in Rubstov, but I don't know if that player will ever be realized by Rubstov.

As I said earlier, I lowered my expectations of Rubstov to someone who can play a 4th line center role, score 20ish points and provide PK ability - basically a Laughton replacement - another one of your favorites!

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Because he was a 1st rounder.

I when I watch him play, it's easy to see that he has more offensive ability than his production stat line suggest, but at some point you have to call a spade a spade.

He's got skill, I don't think anyone denies that. I don't think @Appleyard is wrong when he says that he has ~40 point potential. I think that player exists in Rubstov, but I don't know if that player will ever be realized by Rubstov.

As I said earlier, I lowered my expectations of Rubstov to someone who can play a 4th line center role, score 20ish points and provide PK ability - basically a Laughton replacement - another one of your favorites!
Yes, but Laughton has far more snarl, seems to be faster and seems to have a heavier shot. Obvious talent in Rubstov, but something is clearly missing. Pace? Drive? Toughness (as in willing to pay the price, and perseverance - not goonery).

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Yes, but Laughton has far more snarl, seems to be faster and seems to have a heavier shot. Obvious talent in Rubstov, but something is clearly missing. Pace? Drive? Toughness (as in willing to pay the price, and perseverance - not goonery).

Yeah, Laughton seems to have more physicality to his game than Rubstov, but I think their overall impacts can be similar.

Agreed on the missing piece with Rubstov. Not sure what it is, but it's obvious he's too passive out there. It's a shame, because he has untapped skill.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Laughton can get lost in the defensive zone. I don't really think he's got the best awareness of where to be. So he can make a hit here and there, but he's a bit soft because of his cluelessness. I don't think many players fear Laughton's physicality because it's not functional defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad