Prospect Info: Part 2: Oskar Lindblom -- round 5 #138 overall 2014 NHL Draft [recalled on 2/19]

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He's going to fit well with Couts and Patrick as part of the core of this team.
Frost sounds like he'll also fit this mold (though obviously not as physical).
"Reliable" two way players who do all the little things to win.

The way you break the pressure in your D-zone is as much about your forwards back checking and breaking up the opposing cycle as defensemen clearing the puck - we were getting a lot of pressure on Montreal b/c their forwards wouldn't commit to defense.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Management needs to get over the idea that certain players are only valuable in a top 6/top9 role and just put the best players out there every night. Regardless of how much he progressed, there's 0 chance that the Flyers wouldn't have been better off with Lindblom playing in the NHL since October over Weise/Lehtera and arguably others. There's no reason he couldn't contribute and learn on the job all along.

An elite SHL forward is better than an NHL fourth liner. Swedish 20-year-olds have been coming to the NHL and making a positive impact for decades. This isn't rocket science.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
He was very very solid defensively as well. Great on back checks and picking up assignments away from the puck. I can't see how they could justify sending him back as he is clearly 100% ready to contribute
He’s good away from the puck in both the offensive and defensive zone. Unique talent. I’m really impressed. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him with Patrick by the end of the game tomorrow night.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
And he's still a babe!

Last year's playoffs however showed how hard the transition can be to the NHL, he was overwhelmed by the speed and intensity of playoff hockey, probably the last time that will happen, but also shows why you need your young players to have 2-3 years of NHL experience before most are ready for a serious playoff push.

Intensity/quality of play meter: playoffs >> regular season > preseason > AHL playoffs > AHL regular season

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
And he's still a babe!

Last year's playoffs however showed how hard the transition can be to the NHL, he was overwhelmed by the speed and intensity of playoff hockey, probably the last time that will happen, but also shows why you need your young players to have 2-3 years of NHL experience before most are ready for a serious playoff push.

Intensity/quality of play meter: playoffs >> regular season > preseason > AHL playoffs > AHL regular season

I mean he basically had one atrocious (with a capital A) game in game 2 (I mean, it was maybe the worst game of his pro career) and in games 1, 3 and 4 was fine, eye-test wise and statistically.

But they lost 5-0 in a game where they had zero luck and he was the guy changed out for Weise... who was worse in his two games.

I don't think such a conclusion can be drawn from such a sample size.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He looked tentative to my eye the whole series, not as bad as Vorobyev the last couple games, but far worse than his cameo at the end of the season.

Which is not a knock, Nico disappeared for the Devils, young inexperienced players can be shocked by how the game changes once the playoffs start, every shift is contested, people hit a lot more and veterans back check, and refs swallow their whistles.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
I like responsible two-way game, I wish he was a bit more physical and use his body more. Scoring will come, hopefully. Curious if he can PK.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Management needs to get over the idea that certain players are only valuable in a top 6/top9 role and just put the best players out there every night. Regardless of how much he progressed, there's 0 chance that the Flyers wouldn't have been better off with Lindblom playing in the NHL since October over Weise/Lehtera and arguably others. There's no reason he couldn't contribute and learn on the job all along.

An elite SHL forward is better than an NHL fourth liner. Swedish 20-year-olds have been coming to the NHL and making a positive impact for decades. This isn't rocket science.

Lindblom isn't the kind of player who can compensate with raw athleticism while he learns the rope, his game is about anticipating and understanding the angles and the speed of the game. So coming to NA he needed time to adjust to smaller rinks, then the speed of the NHL game.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018

He is competing with Raffl really to be the teams best defensive winger...

And his underlying offensive stats ain't so bad either.

have you looked into stats with/without Jake? Jake has been known to skew some of those stats, but it doesn't mean Lindblom isn't doing his part. I'm just curious

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
With Jake:

288.18 TOI
52.7% CF
57.8% ExGF

Without Jake:

143.4 TOI
59.4% CF
59.0% ExGF
:naughty::naughty::naughty:

I really hope the points start coming in bunches for him. The feed to Patrick Tuesday night was fantastic. They had several of those types of plays they were close on when he finally came into the NHL I expect him to start getting more tip ins and points in close like he was doing in the SHL

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
:naughty::naughty::naughty:

I really hope the points start coming in bunches for him. The feed to Patrick Tuesday night was fantastic. They had several of those types of plays they were close on when he finally came into the NHL I expect him to start getting more tip ins and points in close like he was doing in the SHL

He just has to soon, right? He is just too good in and around there for the goals to not start coming. He is playing exactly as advertised.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Take all these Likes @Appleyard

AmbitiousEvenGlowworm-size_restricted.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad